SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just stumbled upon this as I was trying to figure out how old my maps are and how to do the update. Only saw one reference to it in this forum in the "what did you do today" thread.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9156/year/2015.5/model/S60

The current map version is 31676537 which was released in April 2019. This map update also contains an update to the Gracenote.
I have version 31676535 in my 2018, which was apparently released in September 2017, so hopefully, it's a nice update. As I understand, I have no actions to take other than download to a USB 2.0 stick of at least 32GB and formatted in FAT32 and follow the instructions on the page I linked, and that only 2015.0 and earlier models need to have a Sensus software update applied first in order to be able to upload new maps via USB.

Now to find that USB stick...

EDIT: I believe my USB stick is 3.0. I've seen folks say USB 3.0 is fine, others say it won't work. Any definitive word on this? Not sure I want to buy an older stick just for this, but I will if I have to.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just stumbled upon this as I was trying to figure out how old my maps are and how to do the update. Only saw one reference to it in this forum in the "what did you do today" thread.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9156/year/2015.5/model/S60

I have version 31676535 in my 2018, which was apparently released in September 2017, so hopefully, it's a nice update. As I understand, I have no actions to take other than download to a USB 2.0 stick of at least 32GB and formatted in FAT32 and follow the instructions on the page I linked, and that only 2015.0 and earlier models need to have a Sensus software update applied first in order to be able to upload new maps via USB.

Now to find that USB stick...

EDIT: I believe my USB stick is 3.0. I've seen folks say USB 3.0 is fine, others say it won't work. Any definitive word on this? Not sure I want to buy an older stick just for this, but I will if I have to.
I updated my maps on a USB 3.0 stick.
It was a pain to format a very big stick to strictly 32GB of FAT32 which was the biggest hurdle to the update. You can't use a larger partition than 32GB.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I updated my maps on a USB 3.0 stick.
It was a pain to format a very big stick to strictly 32GB of FAT32 which was the biggest hurdle to the update. You can't use a larger partition than 32GB.
Is that something specific to later models? I used a USB2.0 128G drive formatted to FAT something, maybe EXFAT? Worked just fine for me.

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Note this is for 2015.5 and newer, not the older system, which was last updated in April 2018.

·
Registered
'16 V60 T5 Drive-E Platinum
10 Posts
I've been trying to update my maps on my 2016 V60, but when I plug in my FAT32 32gb USB, the option never pops up. I know the stick is being read cos it lights up and flashes... Hoping to solve this soon, I want the map update!!

Also, any idea if the Voice Control files applies? I've been trying that too, but it's also not working for me. (https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9765)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been trying to update my maps on my 2016 V60, but when I plug in my FAT32 32gb USB, the option never pops up. I know the stick is being read cos it lights up and flashes... Hoping to solve this soon, I want the map update!!

Also, any idea if the Voice Control files applies? I've been trying that too, but it's also not working for me. (https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9765)
I would try using a different USB stick if you have one available, if not you could try formatting the stick and trying again. I've done a couple of Map updates on my 2016 V60 with no issues, just plug in the drive into the USB socket in the arm rest and it registers and starts the map update (I don't recall if there's a confirmation step where you have to accept the update). It takes a couple of hours but it seems to work well with accumulating that time over several trips/days as long as you leave the USB in the socket.

As for the Voice Control files, I've not tried any updates for those (I don't use Voice Control, being an ex-pat Brit in the US for 20 years my accent makes voice control often useless!) but the linked files suggest they are for an XC90, as they're all based on the same Sensus system its probably the same for a V60 but it might be worth digging for a V60 specific help page on the Voice Control update.

·
Registered
'16 V60 T5 Drive-E Platinum
10 Posts
Guess my USB was too old. Bought a new one off Amazon and the map update worked. I did see that the Voice Control files were for the XC90, but I assumed since the same system it would work. It still doesn't work, even with the new USB.

·
Registered
2016 S60 Inscription
117 Posts
The 2016 XC90 Sensus system is very different from the 2016 V60. The XC90 has the 9" touchscreen, for starters.

You can see what is available for your car by using this link:

https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/homeV3

Enter your year and model and select Downloads from the next screen.

Going to this page for a 2016 V60 will show that you can get only map updates. The 2016 XC90 page shows updates for maps, Gracenote, and Voice. The Gracenote updates are included with the map update for the V60.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts