SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...as I approach 50k mileage on my '018 v90cc Ocean Race, I am happy to report ZERO defects requiring any warranty work...any!...especially, with 44k mileage driven over two winter seasons since I took ownership in October, 2018...in Upstate NY with an average snowfall fall of 120"...

...my "seasonal" car is a 2009 BMW e92 M3 coupe...so needless to say, I like to drive...not to stir emotions, but personally, I couldn't be happier with my Polestar wagon!...

...post-OEM Pirelli tires retired = Goodyear Exhilarate...rotated at dealer every 5k miles with Volvo updates installed "free"....

R

·
Registered
833 Posts
...as I approach 50k mileage on my '018 v90cc Ocean Race, I am happy to report ZERO defects requiring any warranty work...any!...especially, with 44k mileage driven over two winter seasons since I took ownership in October, 2018...in Upstate NY with an average snowfall fall of 120"...

...my "seasonal" car is a 2009 BMW e92 M3 coupe...so needless to say, I like to drive...not to stir emotions, but personally, I couldn't be happier with my Polestar wagon!...

...post-OEM Pirelli tires retired = Goodyear Exhilarate...rotated at dealer every 5k miles with Volvo updates installed "free"....

R
This does make me happy. As poor of an experience as I've had with three XC90's, I appreciate positive stuff like this. Are you thinking about a VIP warranty?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great to hear about your good experience!

How do you feel the Goodyear Exhilarate vs Pirelli OEM ? (balancing/vibrations, cornering, dry/wet/snow, noise, any light off-road/gravel ?).
Are they 245/45R20 ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the update! Very encouraging news. Only driven my 2018 V90CC OR 4,000 mi since August 2020, sitting at 14,500 total miles so I am definitely looking forward to some worry-free driving for the next few years.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have almost 47k miles on my CC, similar experience, no major mechanical issues but a couple of minor things. Dealer recently replaced the dashboard under warranty (this is the biggest issue).

I'm planning on a 4k mile trip for Spring break and have no concerns with the car performing well.

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
My wife and I both have V90CCs with the OEM Pirellis and have been pleasantly surprised at how well they have performed the past couple of weeks with multiple snow storms and icing. The "mark II" gets very good reviews, as does the Michelin CrossClimate II.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My wife and I both have V90CCs with the OEM Pirellis and have been pleasantly surprised at how well they have performed the past couple of weeks with multiple snow storms and icing. The "mark II" gets very good reviews, as does the Michelin CrossClimate II.
Did you try the Pirellis on the snow? Mine were very-very scary, to the point that I decided to get snow tires for the first time in my life. For the rest of the year I now have Pirelli Cinturatos and they are very good, but if snow suddenly arrives they're responsive enough (much better than the Scorpios).

·
Registered
201 Posts
in the past two weeks or so we have had 16-18" of snow plus some sleet and freezing rain, here in south central PA. I expected the OEM Pirelli Scorpions to be problematic but they have done surprisingly well in all conditions. Just getting out of our garage requires a steep uphill back-up with a sharp turn backwards onto a semi-circular driveway. It's gravel, so both the farmer who plows the driveway and I when I use the snow blower on the uphill bit from the garage must leave a inch or so to avoid having gravel fly in every direction. We've had no problems.

Getting to town and back requires managing two steep hills each way. Even then the Scorpions managed just fine, much to our surprise. Once, going downhill on patchy snow and ice I engaged Off Road mode which worked very well. I crawled down smoothly at about ten mph while watching other cars slip and slide and passed a Jeep in a ditch.

These tires are fairly new, with less than 12K miles on them, That might help.

Edit - It also helps that I learned to drive in snow and icy conditions with RWD cars when I lived in Sweden and Norway. Going forward I'll start in 2nd, always accelerate slowly and coast to a stop whenever possible among other things.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Just over 30k miles with our 2019 V90cc OR, and zero problems so far. We use Bridgestone Blizzak dedicated winter tires from the point that temps are consistently below 40 (late November-ish) until the salt is entirely washed away (mid-late April). No major winter traction problems with those, but I will say that it feels like the Michelin X-Ice2s that I've had on previous cars performed slightly better.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very pleased with the Goodyear Exhilarates...handling in snow has been good and better than the Pirellis - which wore out far too quickly...the Goodyears are a nice balance of handling and grip...and quiet...the v90CC is a heavy car - so i find you just need to be cautious on snow as the car has momentum...

...but so far, so good...only annoyance is that you can't get touchup paint for the small road debris nicks on the Kaolin gray trim...

·
Registered
834 Posts
To your point about it being a heavy car I would add that I've noticed when I have the matching Volvo OR roof box up there with my skis, you can DEFINITELY feel how the car wallows more in turns, especially with the softer walled winter tires on! It's a heavy box sitting up there!

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
993 Posts
75k miles on my MY18 V90CC T6, and I'd echo all the positive comments that other SwedeSpeeders have said here. No issues whatsoever with my Volvo.

Crushes miles like a "Cross Country" road-trip machine, and the recently installed rubber shoes (Michelin CrossClimate SUVs) are a beast in the snow. IMO, the best all-year snow tires out there, unless you bring in dedicated snow tires to the mix and do not mind changing them out every spring.

Planning for a 48-state road trip and/or an MI-AK-MI round-trip for this year, or maybe 2022, and hitting the 6-figure mark on the Odo!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 2018 V90 CC with 31K miles and have only had a few minor issues like a blown speaker, annoying creaks and rattles and the rain sensing feature has never worked. I love the car and have been very happy with its reliability and performance. I may have the only V90 in Tyler, TX.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I guess you one of the lucky once. my 2018 inscription s90 was more at the dealer than on the road

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To your point about it being a heavy car I would add that I've noticed when I have the matching Volvo OR roof box up there with my skis, you can DEFINITELY feel how the car wallows more in turns, especially with the softer walled winter tires on! It's a heavy box sitting up there!
wallowing is a good word...its a great car - but it can drift and wallow a bit with its size/weight...it's one of the reasons I decided to stick with ultra high performance stiffer tires versus SUV tires...I've never expected it to be a great handling car, but it is a great cruiser...

I haven't used my roof box enough to notice it - but thanks for the heads up...

·
Registered
834 Posts
wallowing is a good word...its a great car - but it can drift and wallow a bit with its size/weight...it's one of the reasons I decided to stick with ultra high performance stiffer tires versus SUV tires...I've never expected it to be a great handling car, but it is a great cruiser...

I haven't used my roof box enough to notice it - but thanks for the heads up...
Without the roofbox and with the stock 20" wheels, I think it handles rather well, especially when in Polestar mode. But, I use 19" wheels for the winter tires, to get a little more sidewall, and winter tire sidewalls are already on the soft side.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Without the roofbox and with the stock 20" wheels, I think it handles rather well, especially when in Polestar mode. But, I use 19" wheels for the winter tires, to get a little more sidewall, and winter tire sidewalls are already on the soft side.
it depends on your definition of "handling"...I totally agree the T6 engine with Polestar (which i have) adds to the overall performance and driving experience of the car...no doubt its one of the best investments you can add to your volvo, IMO...the throttle response, gearing/shifting dynamics, suspension firmness and steering feel is terrific...but all of this doesn't assist much with body lean and the braking & cornering needs of this car...it's not designed for this, i know...could it use sway bars, braces and other assorted suspension tweaks?...yes - which one can add...but my OR is not an R...but would adding all this to a "standard" v90cc to make it more like an R be worth it?...yes, IMO...but once again, the car isn't marketed as a performance car - but it could be much more responsive, if it had more support of its weight and size...R

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I always wanted to be a fly on the wall where those "sporty vs. comfortable" decisions were made. It is a compromise, after all. What guides those decisions? What empirical data is brought to the table?

I had a V70R which felt plenty stiff to me, yet I could feel it "wallow" as you describe. On the other side of the coin, I had passengers tell me it rode like a coal truck (as if they ever actually ever rode in a coal truck!).

The same goes for powertrain decisions. Someone argued -- successfully -- that a 2.0L four-banger is the right choice for the whole product line. A pretty bold decision, if you ask me. What were the deciding factors?

"I want to be in the room where it happens, the room where happens, the room where it happens..."
--Aaron Burr, Hamilton

·
Registered
201 Posts
I really wish I could get a V90CC with the 3.0 straight 6 turbo that I had in my 2016 T6 XC60. That was a great motor, for which I happily would give up a couple of mpg..

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I really wish I could get a V90CC with the 3.0 straight 6 turbo that I had in my 2016 T6 XC60. That was a great motor, for which I happily would give up a couple of mpg..
Same here! I had an XC70 with that motor, and it was great. I think in heaven, all motors are straight sixes.

However, we're even seeing stalwarts like BMW and Mercedes going with turbo fours for more and more of their cars.

Can't fight "progress", I guess.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts