SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has a specific date been announced when CarPlay will be available on the XC-90?

Will there be a charge for CarPlay?

·
Registered
673 Posts
No specific date has been announced for CarPlay. It will most likely be part of the November update, but no specific date for the update has been announced either. Unless you have a First Edition, there will most likely be a fee for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thats disappointing to hear that it won't be free.

Is the idea that it's one time fee for S/W upgrade or a Subscription type Model? I imagine Android Auto will be for a fee too then?

Is there any guesstimate on the price?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Thats disappointing to hear that it won't be free.

Is the idea that it's one time fee for S/W upgrade or a Subscription type Model? I imagine Android Auto will be for a fee too then?
Yes, one time software download.

Is there any guesstimate on the price?
The official announcement will be out in the very near future.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I just heard from my Volvo Sweden contact, which I'll quote here word for word:

"A starting date for the November update will soon be communicated. The update will be available in the later part of November. The update includes CarPlay functionality (if you had any doubts)."

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Thanks, Citivas. Great to hear the confirmation through informal channels. Hopefully the formal communication will include a link or information that identifies the notable fixes and enhancements.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks, Citivas. Great to hear the confirmation through informal channels. Hopefully the formal communication will include a link or information that identifies the notable fixes and enhancements.
My dealer told me back in August when my order was placed that the Apple CarPlay would be at no extra cost to us. I didn't even know about the ACP until he brought it up to us!

·
Registered
419 Posts
My dealer told me back in August when my order was placed that the Apple CarPlay would be at no extra cost to us. I didn't even know about the ACP until he brought it up to us!
The dealer represented the Apple Car Play would be free for my FE, and included an Apple Car Play brochure in my documentation. Where is the truth?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I can't speak to what individual dealers have said. It's been consistently said here on this forum for months by GrecianVolvo in various posts that CarPlay in the US would be free for FE owners and might be a paid option for other owners. In some other markets owners had the option to pay for it when they specified their build.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I can't speak to what individual dealers have said. It's been consistently said here on this forum for months by GrecianVolvo in various posts that CarPlay in the US would be free for FE owners and might be a paid option for other owners. In some other markets owners had the option to pay for it when they specified their build.
Do you know if the same is true of Android Auto?

Also -- does anyone know if you can have both Android Auto and Apple Car Play in the same car? E.g., my wife has an iPhone 6, while I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and so her preference would be to use Apple Car Play, while I'd rather use Android Auto. Can both apps be installed and then the right one fires up based on the driver/phone detected?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Also -- does anyone know if you can have both Android Auto and Apple Car Play in the same car? E.g., my wife has an iPhone 6, while I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and so her preference would be to use Apple Car Play, while I'd rather use Android Auto. Can both apps be installed and then the right one fires up based on the driver/phone detected?
I don't see any reason why you couldn't have both apps installed. I'm guessing that you will be able to select CarPlay or Andriod Auto in the same way that you currently select the weather and TuneIn apps.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Do you know if the same is true of Android Auto?

Most of the other car manufactures who have offered them have offered both on the same install. Volvo's always suggested them as two features, not one or the other. The bigger question is when the car will get Android Auto -- probably not for another 6 months more more. Volvo hasn't officially said other than "next year." They also haven't said what would be involved in terms of free or cost.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't see any reason why you couldn't have both apps installed. I'm guessing that you will be able to select CarPlay or Andriod Auto in the same way that you currently select the weather and TuneIn apps.
I would hope that Sensus should be able to automatically open Carplay or Android Auto automatically based on the device id when plugged into the USB port.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I would hope that Sensus should be able to automatically open Carplay or Android Auto automatically based on the device id when plugged into the USB port.
To be honest, I've never even seen a CarPaly demo. I assumed the connection was via Bluetooth. Does CarPlay require a USB connection? If so, that sucks because the XC90 only has one USB port.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To be honest, I've never even seen a CarPaly demo. I assumed the connection was via Bluetooth. Does CarPlay require a USB connection? If so, that sucks because the XC90 only has one USB port.
My VW Jetta has both Car Play and Android Auto. For both you need to connect your phone via USB. The car automatically detects if the phone is Apple or Android when you plug it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, but the CarPlay settings in iOS 9 also states that "If your car suports wireless Carplay....". So far I have heard no announcement from any brand that they support wireless CarPlay so I think it is not just a iOS issue. GM, VW, Honda and others already have CarPlay out on the market and all I have read there so far is that it is USB connection only.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My VW Jetta has both Car Play and Android Auto. For both you need to connect your phone via USB. The car automatically detects if the phone is Apple or Android when you plug it.
Yeah, but the CarPlay settings in iOS 9 also states that "If your car suports wireless Carplay....". So far I have heard no announcement from any brand that they support wireless CarPlay so I think it is not just a iOS issue. GM, VW, Honda and others already have CarPlay out on the market and all I have read there so far is that it is USB connection only.
If CarPlay can only be used in the XC90 via a wired connection, then it was very shortsighted of Volvo to only include one USB port. That means that you can't have both your phone and an iPod connected at the same time.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I specifically asked my Volvo Sweden contact if the Volvo CarPlay would support the latest iOS 9 features including wireless and he declined to elaborate. They are selective in what they are willing or able to share yet. So I don't think we'll know until it comes out and people can report first-hand.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts