SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Prior to Apple iOS9, CarPlay required iPhones to be connected to the host vehicle using the Lightning/USB connector. Apparently, with iOS9, wireless (Bluetooth / WiFi) are now supported. Does anyone know whether the XC-90 T8 supports wireless connection to CarPlay?

The single XC90 USB connector is buried back in the front armrest/cupholder, and I don't want to run a cable up to an iPhone clip on the dashboard; I've seen posts by others who are doing so, however. Also, I want to use the USB port for a memory-stick containing my music library.
The 12V plug is nearer the dashboard, and I'll use that to keep the phone charged.

On a related subject: I use the Garmin North America GPS app., and plan to continue doing so in the new XC 90 since the Garmin map and supporting functions are quite impressive. Another benefit is that the app has self-contained North America maps, hence no cellphone connection is required.
Has anyone successfully used this app in CarPlay?
Apparently, CarPlay will not operate with apps thought apt to distract the driver.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
No, as of now there is no wireless connection to CarPlay. We don't know if it can be enabled at a later time with a software update or whether or not it would require a hardware change.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
No, as of now there is no wireless connection to CarPlay. We don't know if it can be enabled at a later time with a software update or whether or not it would require a hardware change.
How do you like bad news, piled upon bad news.

Unless you were built after the change to dual USB, you're stuck there. No wireless capability promised, at best, maybe we see a chance in Early Summer software update, but I wouldn't plan on it.

CarPlay only supports a small number of apps now on-screen. Apple Maps is only option and I seriously doubt Garmin will ever appear as I didn't even know they existed on the iPhone. Sensus maps are downloaded so even without Garmin you don't lose that offline functionality.

Finally, CarPlay functionality is very limited to what Siri can do to keep driver from getting pre-occupied with CarPlay. Without internet, there's no Siri. So even with offline maps (which is also an option with Google Maps), you're SOL.

So if you give up on Garmin maps idea, then you might as well just plug your iPhone into the one USB port and move along.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wireless CarPlay makes no sense to me. The car needs to know for sure the connected phone is tied to the driver. If wireless can be done, then imagine someone else had connected to you CarPlay wirelessly in the past (a friend who borrowed the car perhaps) and all the sudden the phone comes in range (the said friend comes in your car) and your car should attempt to connect to it?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well, if you want to use wired or wireless is complete up to your personal preference. Apple support both, but Volvo supports wired only.

I've Carplay and am disappointed about the functionality and usability. The apps supporting Carplay are very limited. The wire is contentiously an issue. Any short disconnection - the lightning connecter is not the most durable connection possible - and Carplay is disappeared.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Wireless CarPlay makes no sense to me. The car needs to know for sure the connected phone is tied to the driver. If wireless can be done, then imagine someone else had connected to you CarPlay wirelessly in the past (a friend who borrowed the car perhaps) and all the sudden the phone comes in range (the said friend comes in your car) and your car should attempt to connect to it?
Why wouldn't it handle it the same way it does Bluetooth? It would only default to your friends CarPlay if it was the last one used and is in range and you choose to open CarPlay. Otherwise it would default to the last device used in range, again only when you choose to open CarPlay, and unless you manually select to switch devices. Works great with Phone and Media features and bluetooth exactly like this.

I think a vast majority of people would prefer to option to connect wirelessly, just as they have grown accustomed to do for music and phone, which is why Apple added the feature.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, if you want to use wired or wireless is complete up to your personal preference. Apple support both, but Volvo supports wired only.

I've Carplay and am disappointed about the functionality and usability. The apps supporting Carplay are very limited. The wire is contentiously an issue. Any short disconnection - the lightning connecter is not the most durable connection possible - and Carplay is disappeared.
I haven't yet received my T8 (feb 2016?) but am coming to the conclusion that the restricted carplay app set (Apple's attempt to block 'distracting' apps) disqualifies it for me. There are a large variety of navigation apps which will likely be inaccessible at present. Looks to me that carplay is intended primarily as a hands-off interpersonal communication and voice- command tool.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I haven't yet received my T8 (feb 2016?) but am coming to the conclusion that the restricted carplay app set (Apple's attempt to block 'distracting' apps) disqualifies it for me. There are a large variety of navigation apps which will likely be inaccessible at present. Looks to me that carplay is intended primarily as a hands-off interpersonal communication and voice- command tool.
It's early. CarPlay is just now appearing in MY16 vehicles so app developers have had no incentive to make whatever changes are needed to be CarPlay compliant. I doubt Apple is actively blocking apps from CarPlay, rather, the developers haven't worked within the restrictions of CarPlay to make it work.

Given how quickly Apple Maps has improved, however, there's not as much reason to use third-party Maps apps as just a few years ago.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It's early. CarPlay is just now appearing in MY16 vehicles so app developers have had no incentive to make whatever changes are needed to be CarPlay compliant. I doubt Apple is actively blocking apps from CarPlay, rather, the developers haven't worked within the restrictions of CarPlay to make it work.

Given how quickly Apple Maps has improved, however, there's not as much reason to use third-party Maps apps as just a few years ago.
I certainly hope you're right. If Apple TV IV is any exemplar, apps should rapidly proliferate. I think I'll call Garmin and ask about my favorite navigation app's CarPlay status.

... just called Garmin: no CarPlay navigation app (e.g., Garmin North America) compatibility now or planned for immediate future.
I like the Garmin app, as it stores continental map internally and is not reliant on a cellular connection, as are Apple and Google Map apps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts