SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a CPO 2017 XC90 Momentum. There were several at my local dealer but I chose one which had the combination of exterior/interior upgrades I liked the most but ended up not including Apple CarPlay or Android Auto which I learned was an option on the 2017 models. Was told at the time of the sale that adding this is a simple software upgrade that can be done at the dealer for a few hundred bucks. Annoying that it even costs that much but I digress. So I called the dealer back to get an actual quote on the price and was told that it would be approx $1000 because in order to do the software upgrade, they would also need to physically upgrade the center console because mine only has 1 USB port.

Came across this thread on Swedespeed which details this same issue in 2016 model years, however wasn’t sure if this was also the case for 2017 models. From what I read there it looks like the dual USB port upgrade was to support Android Auto, not CarPlay, which should work with the single USB port. Called the dealer back and asked them but they told me the dual USB ports were required for “smartphone integration.” They did say they could try to do the upgrade and see if it works, but they were “90% sure” it wouldn’t work.

Anyone have additional thoughts or information about this? For $1000 I certainly do not need CarPlay, which duplicates (albeit quite well) many of the features already offered through Sensus, but it’s annoying that I upgraded my 2007 Scion with a head unit that supports CarPlay for $350 and now my much more expensive Volvo requires me to potentially plunk down a grand for that luxury.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
As I mentioned in another, related thread, CarPlay alone does not require Dual USB Ports. The dual USB ports are only required to support Android Auto. I had CarPlay with my MY16 and its single USB from Day 1 (which I ordered on May 30, 2015 and took delivery on February 1, 2016).

You would be best served to call Volvo Customer Care and ask them to straighten it out with your dealer. You could advise them what your dealer is trying to do. You could ask for a goodwill upgrade where Volvo US might reimburse the dealer due to the confusion, misinformation, et al. At a minimum, you could politely ask for a [30%] discount coupon for Apple CarPlay. I think they are capped to max. of $200 savings.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As I mentioned in another, related thread, CarPlay alone does not require Dual USB Ports. The dual USB ports are only required to support Android Auto. I had CarPlay with my MY16 and its single USB from Day 1 (which I ordered on May 30, 2015 and took delivery on February 1, 2016).

You would be best served to call Volvo Customer Care and ask them to straighten it out with your dealer. You could advise them what your dealer is trying to do. You could ask for a goodwill upgrade where Volvo US might reimburse the dealer due to the confusion, misinformation, et al. At a minimum, you could politely ask for a [30%] discount coupon for Apple CarPlay. I think they are capped to max. of $200 savings.
This guy is correct

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. Thought it was unlikely but didn't know if something may have changed slightly for the 2017 model year. Will give them a call and see if they can help clarify things on all sides.

Otherwise thus far really loving it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got off the phone with Volvo customer care and from their research, they're also saying I do have to have the dual USB port installed, but sent me a 30% coupon. What I may do, since the dealer offered this to me, is try to have CarPlay installed, see if it recognizes it with the single USB port, and if not, proceed with the other installation.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It sounds like your dealer doesn’t know. I would take it somewhere else.

But I also have CarPlay working on a MY2016 with a single USB.

MTA that I misread you were on with customer care. Nevermind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Just got off the phone with Volvo customer care and from their research, they're also saying I do have to have the dual USB port installed, but sent me a 30% coupon. What I may do, since the dealer offered this to me, is try to have CarPlay installed, see if it recognizes it with the single USB port, and if not, proceed with the other installation.
I would ask “why” so you can understand and verify what changed and why. If MY16s and early MY17s that have not had dual USBs installed, they would be stuck with a reduction in value and new owner (I.e., your) satisfaction.

Without knowing more, this purported Volvo policy deserves an escalation up another level IMO as it does not make sense and could be a misunderstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
31 Posts
Recently purchased a CPO 2017 XC90 Momentum. There were several at my local dealer but I chose one which had the combination of exterior/interior upgrades I liked the most but ended up not including Apple CarPlay or Android Auto which I learned was an option on the 2017 models. Was told at the time of the sale that adding this is a simple software upgrade that can be done at the dealer for a few hundred bucks. Annoying that it even costs that much but I digress. So I called the dealer back to get an actual quote on the price and was told that it would be approx $1000 because in order to do the software upgrade, they would also need to physically upgrade the center console because mine only has 1 USB port.

Came across this thread on Swedespeed which details this same issue in 2016 model years, however wasn’t sure if this was also the case for 2017 models. From what I read there it looks like the dual USB port upgrade was to support Android Auto, not CarPlay, which should work with the single USB port. Called the dealer back and asked them but they told me the dual USB ports were required for “smartphone integration.” They did say they could try to do the upgrade and see if it works, but they were “90% sure” it wouldn’t work.

Anyone have additional thoughts or information about this? For $1000 I certainly do not need CarPlay, which duplicates (albeit quite well) many of the features already offered through Sensus, but it’s annoying that I upgraded my 2007 Scion with a head unit that supports CarPlay for $350 and now my much more expensive Volvo requires me to potentially plunk down a grand for that luxury.
2016 XC90 owner here, we got Carplay free maybe a year ago with one of the software updates the dealer performed (our car did not come with Carplay installed and had a single USB port). Later on I had them add the second USB port and do the Android auto install which they did at no charge to us. Contact corporate and you can get the Android Auto installed for free (if nothing else than to increase the resale value of your car at no cost to you) and I'm guessing the same can be said for Apple Carplay. We took delivery very early in the model year (October of 2015). When we picked up our car the memory key function didn't even work - they had to fix that with a software update as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scheduled a service appointment for this Thursday for the CarPlay software upgrade first, and only if it does not work, proceed with the dual USB port installation. I’m a bit nervous because I don’t have time to stay at the dealership and I don’t want them to needlessly do the USB upgrade without it being necessary. Am going to make it very clear that they are not to proceed with the latter without calling me and potentially showing me video proof it doesn’t work with the single USB first.

Will update for everyone’s info when it’s done.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It's absolutely not necessary - so don't go in there with a wishy-washy attitude. You do not need dual USB and you will not accept it. Period.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Fisted! Twice!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Also if you have more than one dealer you talk to shop around. My local dealer said it would be about 400 to install the dual usb. I have a 2017 non Apple Carplay/Android Auto setup as well.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have a 2017 with one USB and carplay.....but on my 2019 S60, which has 2 USBs, only one supports carplay. So maybe the issue is that they have to install a usb that specifically supports carplay?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I have a 2017 with one USB and carplay.....but on my 2019 S60, which has 2 USBs, only one supports carplay. So maybe the issue is that they have to install a usb that specifically supports carplay?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don’t think so. CarPlay was supported Day 1 since its release by Volvo. The dual USB was required to add support for Android Auto. In a dual USB, the port with a white border around it is for both CarPlay and Android Auto.

What I wonder is whether Volvo’s software installation has migrated to a single software installation code that requires or expects a dual USB. That would be unfortunate to existing and new MY16 and early MY17 owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dropped off this morning. They were giving me some **** but agreed to try the software install and go from there. Interestingly the guy told me the dual USB port was required on a 2016 model recently, which I was even more certain was bull****. He made a comment about the required USB port having a white ring around it, so wasn’t sure if anyone had a single USB port with a white ring or not.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
These people are still wrong. The white ring was an addition when it went dual-USB so you knew which was the active port for CarPlay/AA.
I'd talk directly to the service manager or general manager; you're getting the run around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
These people are still wrong. The white ring was an addition when it went dual-USB so you knew which was the active port for CarPlay/AA.
I'd talk directly to the service manager or general manager; you're getting the run around.
In the process of doing so now. It is annoying that now they’re saying “oh we won’t even try” even when they said they would before. Sounds like they don’t want to find out they’re wrong.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts