SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. recently I've been playing with the on-line volvo configurator before my December 10th LDOC and was surprised to see the car play is not included in the standard equipment but rather a $300 accessory. when i was shopping around the dealer has said it'd be a free upgrade once it becomes available.

so for those of you who have carplay did you get it for free or did you jave to pay? Based on your experience with carplay so far, would you justify spending the $300 to have it?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi all. recently I've been playing with the on-line volvo configurator before my December 10th LDOC and was surprised to see the car play is not included in the standard equipment but rather a $300 accessory. when i was shopping around the dealer has said it'd be a free upgrade once it becomes available.

so for those of you who have carplay did you get it for free or did you jave to pay? Based on your experience with carplay so far, would you justify spending the $300 to have it?
For those who picked up their car BEFORE Nov 21st it is free. This is a courtesy for the time lost for those who had to come back in for the software updates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really?

Over the weekend I ordered a 2016 XC90 and selected a number of options. Nowhere was I offered the chance to add Apple CarPlay, as either a free or added-cost option. The OP indicates that in the future I will have to pay to have that added to my software package. Can anyone confirm that Apple CarPlay will not be a factory-installed in all models across the board?
Seems a little nickel-and-dime to me.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There's a couple different threads that have all the info and opinions on this that you could hope for, just do a quick search. Yes, it costs money and yes Volvo has not done a good job making that clear.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Over the weekend I ordered a 2016 XC90 and selected a number of options. Nowhere was I offered the chance to add Apple CarPlay, as either a free or added-cost option. The OP indicates that in the future I will have to pay to have that added to my software package. Can anyone confirm that Apple CarPlay will not be a factory-installed in all models across the board?
Seems a little nickel-and-dime to me.
Apple CarPlay is not a factory-installed option. It is an accessory that can be purchased to be installed either at the Port of Entry or at the retailer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Apple CarPlay is not a factory-installed option. It is an accessory that can be purchased to be installed either at the Port of Entry or at the retailer.
This should be stickied up at the Top. It will come up many times as more and more folks look at the XC90!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I took delivery of mine on 11/24 from a dealer about an hour from my house. There is a dealer much closer (15 min), but their cost on the same vehicle - including trade in credit - was $4000 more. However, I tried to schedule an appointment with the closer dealer for the "courtesy upgrade". They informed me it would be $350 since I took delivery after 11/23. Called the dealer I purchased from and they have no problem doing it for free.

Also, in the stack of documents I received when I purchased the car on 11/24, included was a fold out leaflet about Apple Carplay. On the back it says "schedule for a complimentary upgrade". Thankfully, my dealer agreed it should be included and attempted the upgrade today. Unfortunately it was unsuccessful (although it appears the non-Apple upgrade features did download). Guess I'll wait until they can get the process sorted out.

Lastly, my dealer did inform me that upon entering my VIN in the Volvo system on December 3rd, the Airplay upgrade was shown to be an option. However, when I arrived on the 4th it was shown to be "free eligible upgrade". Further, the service lead told me they received correspondence that all XC90's that arrived on the lot prior to November 25 are to be upgraded to include Airplay at no charge.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been told by my dealer that CarPlay will cost $560 as I'm taking delivery after 11/23 (I'll take delivery on 12/23). This is absurd IMO, especially as the port could have done it for less but nobody bothered to tell me.

What are you guys paying for the CarPlay add-on?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've been told by my dealer that CarPlay will cost $560 as I'm taking delivery after 11/23 (I'll take delivery on 12/23). This is absurd IMO, especially as the port could have done it for less but nobody bothered to tell me.

What are you guys paying for the CarPlay add-on?
Are you in the U.S.? It is listed for $300 on Volvo's website. The dealer is charging $260 more for what?

·
Registered
180 Posts
The dealers are definitely verifying whether you purchased the vehicle as of 11/23. I called my the closest dealer today as I wanted to verify they were able to do the big "November" update. The service advisor wanted to verify with the techs and was aware of the issues they had last month so he took my number and asked to call me back. The next call was asking for my VIN as they had an issue with the previous update that they wanted to avoid as the update involved the system to be upgraded with CarPlay as well. As I received delivery prior to the deadline, they confirmed I was eligible for the complimentary upgrade of Sensus and CarPlay. I'm going in tomorrow for the update as my nav system is completely unreliable in providing the correct directions.

My concern from my conservation was there may be a doughnut hole for those who purchased after 11/23 but didn't receive the latest Sensus update. It didn't seem like the software was pushed out to the dealerships for those who want the latest Sensus update but do not care for CarPlay.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
It didn't seem like the software was pushed out to the dealerships for those who want the latest Sensus update but do not care for CarPlay.
That is not true. The update became available on 11/23 and the retailers were instructed to save it on a portable drive so that they can download it to the rest of their cars and minimize the "down time" since it is a large file and downloading it each time from Volvo would taka a few hours. From the portable drive, it takes 1/3 the time.

They have also been instructed to download the update to every car they have in stock so they can be ready for sale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts