SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm still getting acquainted to using CarPlay with the Sensus on my relatively new XC40; I'm looking forward to some of the new features coming this September to CarPlay (https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/211426 ) like sharing map location updates to friends, independent usage of iPhone and Sensus screen, better Siri integration.

One new feature (support for different size screens and aspect ratios) seems dependent on Volvo's involvement. I would love to see the navigation maps taking over the whole Sensus portrait screen, especially if we can use Google Maps or Waze as an option (sounds like Siri can use these as the default CarPlay map) -- although the new Apple maps looks pretty good with more landmarks and street view on the iPhone version; will have to see if these are carried over to CarPlay.

Thoughts on the update? Do you think the new aspect ratio will take some work to implement?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The first video on that link also mentions that CarPlay will now also support sending sending second screen support to HUD. That would be a huge feature add into Sensus.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been running the beta and like it overall, but the screen size is unchanged and is just small enough that the media display widget on the new dashboard view does not display the track information, only the album art and the pause/next buttons, which is unfortunate... don't know what Volvo was thinking putting in a 9" portrait display. It's too small (then again, I was spoiled by my Model S).

I don't think CarPlay will get any larger without Volvo deciding to change it and issue a software update. CarPlay has had the ability to adjust to display sizes. My wife's Telluride with a long 10" display fills out perfectly even on iOS 12.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nothing to add except my agreement. Would love to have full-screen CarPlay, and extra love having the maps display in the gauges and HUD.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Been running iOS 13 too. No HUD info is displayed when navigating with Apple maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts