SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I spoke to my advisor while getting the rotors replaced regarding the upcoming software update and car play. I was told that Car Play is not complimentary and will not be included with the software update, you must purchase this.
Does someone have any information to confirm or deny this ?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Some people have said their dealership told them complimentary and others have said what you said. Looks like there is nothing official out about this yet. We were told only on here, and some of us through our dealerships such as myself included, that First Edition owners would receive it complimentary.

·
Registered
432 Posts
At least in Europe Apple CarPlay was NEVER a free thing, from the very beginning a "to be paid" option. Exception made for the FE customers that got all options included in the package. Formally CarPlay was never part of the November update, it is based on that software so they come at the same time but one is not for free.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Some people have said their dealership told them complimentary and others have said what you said. Looks like there is nothing official out about this yet. We were told only on here, and some of us through our dealerships such as myself included, that First Edition owners would receive it complimentary.
If it is made complimentary for all it is fine for me, I will get money back :D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
At least in Europe Apple CarPlay was NEVER a free thing, from the very beginning a "to be paid" option. Exception made for the FE customers that got all options included in the package. Formally CarPlay was never part of the November update, it is based on that software so they come at the same time but one is not for free.
The difference is Europe had its act together and made it clear from the start when ordering that it was an option and cost X. In the US it was promoted as a feature with no mention of being an option, there was no way to select or de-select it, no information that it would cost anything and even the dealers were not informed that you might have to pay for it and proceeded to tell some of their customers it would be free.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pricing for Apple Car Play

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. If the Apple Car Play is not complimentary what is the pricing structure going to be? Getting my first Volvo on 12/1 and excited for this.

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Again, we were told by multiple dealers while trying to purchase this car that we would get Apple carplay for free! I don't see how so many dealers could be that wrong, and they were the ones bringing it up!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I now believe many dealers have talked themselves into a corner with CarPlay so it may well wind up being free for many but we'll see. As to how so many dealers could be wrong, well...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was specifically told by my dealer, when I picked up my xc90, last week that they will be calling me in December to set up the software update and it includes car play update too for free. Volvo reps were there at this dealership just the day before and they wanted to take care of the update and car play in a certain way, systematically for each owner on a separate day by keeping the SUV until they made sure everything went well (at least a day) and providing a loaner vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have not received any indication from my dealer (Charlotte, NC) that Carplay comes at a price and I talked to them about installation yesterday. Figure they'd have mentioned it if it were payable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reading the updates release notes

"The upgrade provides you with access to new functions and improvements, amongst other things:
• Apple CarPlay functionality"

it comes with the update at least for us North America customers they won't get around a free car play upgrade...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Just because the exact wording has been a matter of contention in the past, I'll point out that "access" to "CarPlay functionality" still does not spell out that the software will be fully activated nor free of charge. As in the free update enables the paid content to be installed. Or yeah could be free. There's definitely that brochure about the update which says CarPlay will be available to purchase.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It was a bait and switch. I only first chose this car because when it launched it advertised car play, the first car I saw with it. Super annoying to find out not only does the car not have car play at launch, but even when it is available, it's more $$$. I love my XC-90, but I am no fan of Volvo. Can't really say a nice thing about this company.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I now believe many dealers have talked themselves into a corner with CarPlay so it may well wind up being free for many but we'll see. As to how so many dealers could be wrong, well...
They were wrong because VCNA never specifically told them it there would be a charge for it and like their customers they looked at the website and saw nothing to suggest that either. This is why I have called it a "mistake" on the part of VCNA rather than a "misunderstanding" in the other topic on this. A misunderstanding is VCNA did everything right and some people just leapt to the wrong conclusion. A mistake is they blew the communication by not promoting it as an option on their website, with the dealer network or in either their online or dealer-based order contract, and refusing to officially ever take a position that it would cost X, and people and dealers reached a reasonable assumption based on the available information. The fact that other countries got this right suggests it was specifically VCNA. I'm personally set either way as a First Edition owner, but if I hadn't been one I would have reached the same conclusion many people and dealers reasonably did.

What's surprising is that VCNA STILL has not fixed this. They have known for months based on chatter here and from their dealer network that people are getting mixed signals on this. Yet based on people's dealer experience it's clear that they still have communicated nothing to the dealers and to this day they have not corrected the website. They have seen for over a year that the rest of the worldwide network clearly communicated it would be an option at cost X. Yet here we are 4 days from the product's availability and they still have not communicated anything about whether it will be a free or cost option and what it would cost. That's frankly just crazy. It's hard to imagine a valid reason they would still withhold this information from the public or dealers.

Whatever their original intent or motivation, the most reasonable course is for them to offer it free to anyone who bought or contracted before the date they finally get around to announcing its cost and declaring it an option. Again, I'm set personally either way, but it's just the right thing to do for others.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It was a bait and switch. I only first chose this car because when it launched it advertised car play, the first car I saw with it. Super annoying to find out not only does the car not have car play at launch, but even when it is available, it's more $$$. I love my XC-90, but I am no fan of Volvo. Can't really say a nice thing about this company.
You don't know for sure it's a charge, yet you feel confident calling it a "bait and switch?"
It appears you use this forum simply to complain about things. Let's let the facts be facts first, ok?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nope, I praise my XC-90 all the time on this forum. I also complain that Volvo does a terrible job beyond making this one great car.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The senses update is free. Car play requires that update but is not free unless you have an FE.

Look at the wording. The update provides "access" to car play. It doesn't give it to you. Isn't it nice they are so clear about all of this? Great customer communication the whole time.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts