SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

from what I understand Apple Car play was available 2016 XC90 as a option, I just purchased a 2016 XC90 Inscription model and called the dealer to see how much this will cost. First he asked me if I had 2 usb ports in the center console, which I dont, I only have 1 so they are a extra cost as they need 2 USB ports? what for? so the yare telling me $465 Canadian for the software download, $146 for the 2nd USB port and 3 hours labor at $119 /hr to install the USB ports so $950 plus tax for apple carplay...LoL..... WTF

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

from what I understand Apple Car play was available 2016 XC90 as a option, I just purchased a 2016 XC90 Inscription model and called the dealer to see how much this will cost. First he asked me if I had 2 usb ports in the center console, which I dont, I only have 1 so they are a extra cost as they need 2 USB ports? what for? so the yare telling me $465 Canadian for the software download, $146 for the 2nd USB port and 3 hours labor at $119 /hr to install the USB ports so $950 plus tax for apple carplay...LoL..... WTF
What dealership?

Call Volvo Canada and see if they can do anything. Many folks, myself included, had Volvo Canada pick up the tab.

edit: Oh, Apple CarPlay? You'll need to pay for the software (no hardware) at your dealer, but before you take it in, see if Volvo Canada will throw in the android auto retrofit at the same time (may as well, even if you don't need it today).

·
Registered
342 Posts
In the US, I paid $400 to have CarPlay installed before I took delivery of my 2016 XC90. It was a software install, no additional hardware was/is required. My car came with only one USB port. Two USB ports is required for Android Auto. Many in the States had the installation of Android Auto and the two port USB hub installed for free if they already purchased smart phone integration, myself included.

In your case, I believe you will have to pay for the software installation of CarPlay. You do not need to purchase the two port USB hub because that is not necessary for CarPlay.

As suggested by kramerica, call Volvo Customer Care. Sounds like your dealership is clueless.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can now request the android auto upgrade on 2016’s for free. There is a new TJ that now covers this. It will only be done if it requested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had Volvo install my hardware and software for AA for free (part of some sort of lawsuit as Volvo originally marketed that the XC90 would be AA compatible, but the 2016's were missing the hardware)--need to arrange with Volvo Customer support before visiting the dealership for the work. At the same time I asked the dealer to install Apple Carplay and expected to pay for it, but the dealer charged me nothing.

·
Registered
XC90 II / S90 II
4 Posts
Hi,

This may apply to you, I say "may" simply because you're in Canada, not that it should matter but -

https://www.cars.com/articles/2016-volvo-xc90-apple-carplay-upgrade-1420684273085/

·
Registered
120 Posts
The TJ for the Android Auto “Addition of USB Hub and Android Auto” is TJ34222.1.1 for 2016’s.

The referenced cars.com article says the Apple CarPlay can be asked for as “courtesy upgrade”. I’ve looked on the VOLVO tech info library and don’t see a reference to this as most anything VOLVO does has a TJ or SB associated with it.

I’ve asked for this about a year ago as “goodwill” and didn’t get anywhere at the dealer. Would be good to reference something since I expect the dealer to be clueless. Anyone know if there is anything to reference from VOLVO on this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My car is same and comes with Apple CarPlay

Hi,

I am from Toronto, Canada. I also purchased a 2016 XC90 Inscription in April. Before asking the dealer, I just inserted my iPhone into the one-and-only-one USB port. It prompted asking enabling Apple CarPlay or not. Therefore, I was reliefed. However, I am not sure if it came with free software update during annual services, or the previously owner has already paid for it. As for Android Auto, my understand is that you do need to purchase 2-port USB hardware to replace the 1-port version in MY 2016. I don't have Android, so not a priority for now.

·
Registered
2019 XC60 T5 / 2004 BMW 330xi
179 Posts
You can now request the android auto upgrade on 2016's for free. There is a new TJ that now covers this. It will only be done if it requested.
Can anyone confirm this? ... I am about to take the car in for the 30K service and have a 2016 with 1 USB port ...

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
you dont need the extra port if you are just getting CarPlay, it will work with just one port. If you ever want android auto you need the second higher amperage port for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can confirm that I have Apple Carplay on a 2016 XC90 Momentum Plus with one USB port.

I would assume that the armrest USB port is running back to the head unit regardless if you have Carplay or not, so it is probably just a software upgrade. Seems a little ridiculous to pay for $600+ for the Carplay licensing fee and to download some software, but they've got to make their money.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
When I got CarPlay it was like 300

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Early 2016's were advertised as having CarPlay with no mention of cost; so when released, my dealer installed as a courtesy.
There was some sort of documentation, sales training perhaps, that we discussed here on the forum that got many of us off the hook.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Can anyone confirm this? ... I am about to take the car in for the 30K service and have a 2016 with 1 USB port ...
If you are in the US and first owner, yes you can request the upgrade to support Android Auto and it is free for a period of time.

Even if you only use CarPlay today, another driver or future owner may have Android Auto. It can be a bonus to some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2019 XC60 T5 / 2004 BMW 330xi
179 Posts
If you are in the US and first owner, yes you can request the upgrade to support Android Auto and it is free for a period of time.

Even if you only use CarPlay today, another driver or future owner may have Android Auto. It can be a bonus to some people.

Thanks! ... So I just had my 30k service done today and along with the latest Sensus update I asked them to install AA and ACP ... and they did ... for free ... even added the second USB port.
Now for trying to figure out how they work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can't wait for the Carplay updates coming this Fall with iOS 13 - much-needed fixes like having multiple apps on one screen, so you aren't bouncing around between Podcast, Waze and Phone over and over again.

Here's a quick vid on a different vehicle

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks! ... So I just had my 30k service done today and along with the latest Sensus update I asked them to install AA and ACP ... and they did ... for free ... even added the second USB port.
Now for trying to figure out how they work.
How long did the install take you?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Early 2016's were advertised as having CarPlay with no mention of cost; so when released, my dealer installed as a courtesy.
There was some sort of documentation, sales training perhaps, that we discussed here on the forum that got many of us off the hook.
This was my situation, and I have one port. Never paid any additional fee.

2016 Magic Blue XC90 Inscription
2006 Sonic Blue V70R

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
See TJ34222.1.1-2018-10-31 (Addition of USB Hub and Android Auto)

Just pay the USD $2.50 three-day subscription for TJs to get a copy. The upgrade includes both CarPlay and Android and applies to select models.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts