SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my V90 has been with me for almost 2.5 years now and it's pretty much perfect. I rented an Audi Q5 in Colorado and the tight handling feel was great, as was the faster infotainment boot up, but so much else wasn't. In particular, the infotainment controls were dumb. In my Volvo, I touch the Car Play screen and I'm done. In the Audi you're tick tick ticking the wheel to get to the thing you want and it just feels like a waste of time when the screen is right there and if you could just press on it... anyway. Very few cars have touch screens for the actual infotainment system, especially in the premium but under $50,000 segment.

Right now, I'm planning to keep the V90 and grab and XC40 for our second car.

Just wondering if I am missing anything? Seems like the Q3, X1/2, etc. all lack the XC40's amazing touch-screen capability.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I think the XC40 may be the only touchscreen sub $50k. I love driving mine.. Good thing I'm a Realtor. I drive a lot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think the XC40 may be the only touchscreen sub $50k. I love driving mine.. Good thing I'm a Realtor. I drive a lot.

I disagree. I think you would be hard pressed to find any model in 2019 that doesn't have a trim level with a touchscreen, plenty of which can be had for under 50K (Jeep Cherokee, Honda CRV, Acura RDX, Infiniti QX30, etc.). There may be other differences to consider, but the availability of a touchscreen/carplay isn't one of them.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I disagree. I think you would be hard pressed to find any model in 2019 that doesn't have a trim level with a touchscreen, plenty of which can be had for under 50K
this. even a gmc truck has touch screen these days...
50K compact suv is not a good buy, IMO. also, spa touchscreen is one of the most finicky, problematic things on the entire series; it keeps dragging the JD Power (or Consumer Reports, or both; can't remember) ratings down.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
I love my SPA touchscreen. Nothing but kudos for it.

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
700 Posts
Right now, I'm planning to keep the V90 and grab and XC40 for our second car.
Wait until end middle / end of next year and you can get the XC40 electric and Android based head unit.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I love my SPA touchscreen. Nothing but kudos for it.
+1. My wife is amazed at how well it works, and how I can do almost all functions without taking my eyes off the road.

Even submitting Waze reports via CarPlay is super easy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
+1. My wife is amazed at how well it works, and how I can do almost all functions without taking my eyes off the road.

Even submitting Waze reports via CarPlay is super easy.
Same here, I find it intuitive and super easy to use. And very responsive.

Have never tried the earlier models that I understand had slower processing though.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the answers.

I thought some of the Acuras had a touch screen for some function but that CarPlay was always operated with the dial?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Although fairly pleased with touchscreen, I am tired of the slow load/response. Backup camera doesn't even show until I'm at end of driveway, then doesn't turn off until I've already driven 2 houses down. So today decided enough. Just got off phone with Volvo. After explaining issue and them researching warranty issues, he told me it shows as an issue and I am qualified for a total software upgrade. Said it deals with issues on touchscreen, performance issues and more. Will take about 45mins. Having it done WED morning. Hope it truly does fix the issues. I believe he said upgrade was released in MAY 2019.
(PS - Mine is an early 2019 build delivered MAR 2018)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Even a Mazda CX-5 has touch screen. Not exactly this segment, but just pointing to the fact that most crossovers and SUVs, even sub 50k, now have touch screen. The only issue with the Mazda is that it turns off touch screen when moving, forcing you to use the control knob, but there's a hack for that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
How do show more apps on carplay? for example i have waze on my phone but i cant see it on carplay! I would also love to listen to SoundCloud on carplay .... how can i add them?

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Even a Mazda CX-5 has touch screen. Not exactly this segment, but just pointing to the fact that most crossovers and SUVs, even sub 50k, now have touch screen. The only issue with the Mazda is that it turns off touch screen when moving, forcing you to use the control knob, but there's a hack for that.

Can you tell me more about this hack? I love the CX-5.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sure. Check out https://mazdatweaks.com/
If posting this is again this forum's policy, I apologize and please remove.
Also, hack at your own risk. Good luck.
It worked on my 2016 Mazda 6 and my wife's 2017 Mazda CX-5. Read everything before diving in.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. That's pretty cool that the community has basically jailbroken the Mazda system to allow for customization.

There are a few things like this I would love with the Volvo:

1. Being able to turn off auto/start stop (on more than the XC40) (for other people).
2. Being able to use the 360 camera at any speed.
3. Being able to remove the XM apps from the screen (or just hide the scrollbar that shows up when they are moved off the screen).

·
Registered
2019 XC60 T5 / 2004 BMW 330xi
176 Posts
For what it's worth the new 2020 Subaru Outback and Legacy just hitting dealers have a full touch infotainment screen just like the Volvo ... everything buried in it with minimal hard touch buttons.
Test drove the turbo Outback XT ... hauls ass and fit and finish is now up there as well.
Can be had fully loaded for about $40K

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Steering wheel

1 - 20 of 23 Posts