SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I did some searching on the forums but can't really seem to find a definitive answer to this question:

As nowadays something like a set of Eibach springs for $2-300 bucks isn't really breaking the bank, I was thinking of getting a set for the R I plan on picking up next weekend.

I have a set for my '01 Dodge Stratus, but never installed them because I needed new shocks to go with them, and they were substantially more expensive than the springs...

From what I found on this site, no one who got springs mentioned any other "accessories" except for camber kits (which are a necessity of course) and maybe wheel spacers, which was more of a "prevent rubbing and look cooler" thing. But I'm wondering how the 4C suspension handles the lower ride height given that the factory shocks are so sophisticated (which they'd better be at $400 bucks a piece...)

So do I need to DO or BUY anything besides springs and camber kits if I want to lower an R?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
You will need to do a SUM recalibration after installing springs. Otherwise, the 4C will be reading incorrectly. Also, get an alignment (although I'm sure you knew this). A "camber kit" is not necessary unless your rear camber is really bad after the install. I would just check this out when you get an alignment.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?177867-Eibachs-Installed-

You will love the Eibachs, as for the look. They need to be spaced as the rear looks goofy under the fender like a hiding turtle, or Giorgi's GF. I'm a bit skeptical as to whether it greatly effects the way that the 4C works seeing as everyone says you need a SUM recal however, shes riding just fine without one for the time being.

I'd say you're all set SIR.

You will need to do a SUM recalibration after installing springs.
Oh shut up.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?177867-Eibachs-Installed-

You will love the Eibachs, as for the look. They need to be spaced as the rear looks goofy under the fender like a hiding turtle, or Giorgi's GF. I'm a bit skeptical as to whether it greatly effects the way that the 4C works seeing as everyone says you need a SUM recal however, shes riding just fine without one for the time being.

I'd say you're all set SIR.

Oh shut up.
stop talking about your mom so badly. She will spank you soon if you don't....

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
SUM recall isn't totally necessary it just smooths everything out and makes the ride slightly better.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Pish Posh Mumbo Jumbo I will drop you like third period french patricio!!!!!
Step 1: go do a SUM recalibration
Step 2: get on your knees
Step 3: apologize

Maybe if you spent more time figuring out how our cars work and less time playing in muddy fields, you would realize why you are misleading the OP. a SUM recalibration should be performed. Otherwise, your car will be processing incorrect information.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who does the SUM calibration? My local Volvo dealer? How far must one usually spread his/her butt cheeks for something like this?

:)

Thanks for the tips. I've been browsing the forum for the past hour or so learning about LOTS of things I'll be wasting my money on soon... :)

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Who does the SUM calibration? My local Volvo dealer? How far must one usually spread his/her butt cheeks for something like this?

:)

Thanks for the tips. I've been browsing the forum for the past hour or so learning about LOTS of things I'll be wasting my money on soon... :)
Buck fifty. You're better off investing in the DICE/VIDA unit yourself....That's what I plan on spending my $150 on and doing it myself.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
You don't need a recalibration...end of argument. Unless you are having serious issues with the ride or are throwing codes don't bother. Had mine done for free and could tell no difference. Plus the dealer usually has no idea how anything but stock components work.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn. Springs + spacers + reprogramming and suddenly this isn't a cheapy little mod anymore...

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to convince the wife that I need $200 for the aftermarket grill (can't be lettin' anyone see that I'm driving a VOLVO, afterall...) :)

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
you don't need a recalibration...end of argument. Unless you are having serious issues with the ride or are throwing codes don't bother. Had mine done for free and could tell no difference. Plus the dealer usually has no idea how anything but stock components work.

Sent from my htc sensation 4g using tapatalk 2
thank you*

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hilariously playful banter in this thread. My local Indy shop charged my $50 for a SUM calibration. Can the SUM calibration affect the headlight aim? My lights aim seemed a little higher after the SUM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts