SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if you feel that this is safe enough for a toddler or if you stick with your car seat? Volvo recommends a minimum of 33 lbs. Mind if I ask how old your kid is and how big he is, if you use the Volvo integrated booster vs. a car seat?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here, me, me!! :)

Yes, we have a 6, 4 and newborn. The 6 and 4 are both around 40 lbs and 40 inches tall (or so). We use that integrated booster every time they ride with daddy in the XC90. The only problem is there's only 1, so they fight over it. :) We just take turns.

FWIW, my XC90 is not the kids "daily driver" -- that is mom's Honda Odyssey. But, when we decide to take my XC as a family, it works great, and the integrated booster is very handy.

Again, my only complaint is Volvo not offering 2 of these in the outboard positions (as they used to in the XC60 and maybe? other vehicles).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Would absolutely not use it with a toddler - you cannot guarantee belt will come through the right point on their body, it will not keep them in a perfect position during an accident, it would be very easy for them to free themselves from annoying seatbelt - you can get in an accident just from the distraction that would cause. I would have the same argument against any booster seat though - this is no worse. So if you are happy with a booster seat for toddlers - it will do. I am convinced 3 point is not safe for toddlers. Even the cheapest 5 point car seats would still beat those for safety, the latest ones with lap tray better still. In this car you can pay for that by just having a light right foot for three months.

I would only use occasionally for short low speed trips and probably from 5years only when seatbelt is better fit and you can reason with them.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I do. We have a tall 4 year old (43 inches and 48 lbs) in there. They are rated for 3 year olds and above.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Rated.... Sure.
And my Prius was rated 5 stars safety vs 5 in xc90. I know what I prefer to be in if I am in an accident.
No side bolsters, no head roll protection, seatbelt comes through at only one height, three point fixing so double the forces little bones experience in front accident.

Strictly speaking OP asked about a toddler - that's first steps to preschool. For best safety you should have the rear facing till 2.5-3. Front facing at least five points, but lap tray way better for the neck. This may sound overprotective but research is very extensive. This could be the difference between child getting away with a little scare and being taken out for major injury recovery during the crucial months in their development.
Given what and how cheaply is available I don't see why people wouldn't keep kids in child seats till early teens - good child seats are more comfy than back of any car

·
Registered
559 Posts
Rated.... Sure.
And my Prius was rated 5 stars safety vs 5 in xc90. I know what I prefer to be in if I am in an accident.
No side bolsters, no head roll protection, seatbelt comes through at only one height, three point fixing so double the forces little bones experience in front accident.

Strictly speaking OP asked about a toddler - that's first steps to preschool. For best safety you should have the rear facing till 2.5-3. Front facing at least five points, but lap tray way better for the neck. This may sound overprotective but research is very extensive. This could be the difference between child getting away with a little scare and being taken out for major injury recovery during the crucial months in their development.
Given what and how cheaply is available I don't see why people wouldn't keep kids in child seats till early teens - good child seats are more comfy than back of any car
I agree with most of this, but I really doubt any early teen would be willing to sit in a child seat! Can you imagine trying to coerce a 12-14 year-old adolescent into a booster seat?

At least with the integrated booster, you might have a fighter's chance. But a true separate child booster? I'd be very interested to meet the 12-14 year old with a developed enough pre-frontal cortex and/or a sufficient level of obedience to sit in a booster seat.

I'd be amazed if many parents have made it much past ten years of age with their children in boosters.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use it all the time for my five year old and its great for all short trips. It means that I dont have to keep a booster seat in the car.

For long trips I still plan on using a full booster for comfort reasons. This is just a raised seat and its in the middle of the row so there is nothing on the side for a child to lean their head on for a nap....

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ordered the integrated booster seat. Now, the more I think about it, especially for a long trip, I wouldn't put her there anyway. Where would she put her drink? The cup holder is in the middle pull down and that is where the booster is :/ I agree with the above poster, I wish it was integrated in the outbound seats. I was excited about the booster, but, am now realizing that I probably will not be using it very much.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Rated.... Sure.

Nothing is as safe as a rear facing five-point harness. But like MaxwellMcGee said... a tween in a child seat?! Good luck with that. Look... I get it. If I were able to, I'd keep all my kids in the safest position possible until the maximum recommended age/weight for each type of seat. The integrated booster is great for short trips and if you really need to fit three across the second row, it's even better. On long road trips, I would definitely use a harnessed booster, but the integrated booster seat does have minimum requirements (which is three years old and I forget what high/weight), as do ALL infant seats, rear facing, harnessed boosters, high-back boosters, and regular boosters. You can keep your child in the safest position you deem appropriate.

FYI- My kids are rear facing until at least 2-2.5 years old and the 4 and 6 year old are in 5 point harness front facing seats ever since they were toddlers that transitioned out of rear-facing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
buzz lightyear travels in ours. It's also nice to know that in an emergency you have that extra child seat in the car. You never know. It's not the least useful item in the family pack which is still worth having.

·
Registered
541 Posts
buzz lightyear travels in ours. It's also nice to know that in an emergency you have that extra child seat in the car. You never know. It's not the least useful item in the family pack which is still worth having.
I always keep two extra boosters in the car in case any of my daughters friends unexpectedly travels with us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rated.... Sure.
For best safety you should have the rear facing till 2.5-3. Front facing at least five points, but lap tray way better for the neck. This may sound overprotective but research is very extensive. This could be the difference between child getting away with a little scare and being taken out for major injury recovery during the crucial months in their development.
Our son is three and is still rear facing. We think we can keep him that way for another year or so, anyway. I was just curious if when we move him out of the seat, how safe it would be to put him in the integrated booster versus keeping him in a car seat.

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone! We have been trying to decide if we should include the integrated booster when we place our order.

·
Banned
763 Posts
Our son is three and is still rear facing. We think we can keep him that way for another year or so, anyway. I was just curious if when we move him out of the seat, how safe it would be to put him in the integrated booster versus keeping him in a car seat.

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone! We have been trying to decide if we should include the integrated booster when we place our order.
Good for you on rear-facing. Keep in mind that the standard age for RF in Sweden (and now Norway) is 4. Those aren't the "extreme" parents; that's what pretty much every parent is doing, even the bad ones. It's part of why they enjoy the lowest rates of child auto fatalities on Earth.

http://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/2015/12/norway-no-children-die-crashes.html/
http://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/2015/07/3-out-of-4-parents-forward-face-too-early.html/

And no, toddlers or preschool-aged children have no business in booster seats, integrated or not. Both of those age groups should still be in rear-facing seats ideally, and forward-facing tethered seats at the worst. Booster seats aren't appropriate for most kids until they're about 8:

http://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/2014/06/when-is-it-safe-to-switch-from-forward/

To take things further, most kids should remain in booster seats until they're 10 to 12. If you (general you, not you balderic) choose not to do so because you don't believe the science, that's one thing (a foolish thing, but it's your choice, I suppose). If you choose not to do so because you don't believe your kids will listen to you as pre-teens, good luck during the teen years.

http://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/2015/07/5-signs-child-isnt-ready-seat-belt.html/

·
Banned
763 Posts
And for the record, we're planning on RF all of our kids until 4 at a minimum, and ideally 5 if they still fit their seats then. Our daughter is 2, and the fact that she's still rear-facing sadly makes her a minority in the US already. We're planning on forward-facing them until they can sit as well in a seat belt as they do in a harness (which for most kids is 8, hence the recommendation), and boostering until they pass the 5-step test (typically 10 to 12). To me, buying a safe vehicle and taking short cuts on car seat safety makes about as much sense as buying a safe car in a northern climate and refusing to buy winter tires: penny-wise and pound foolish.

·
Banned
763 Posts
I agree with most of this, but I really doubt any early teen would be willing to sit in a child seat! Can you imagine trying to coerce a 12-14 year-old adolescent into a booster seat?

At least with the integrated booster, you might have a fighter's chance. But a true separate child booster? I'd be very interested to meet the 12-14 year old with a developed enough pre-frontal cortex and/or a sufficient level of obedience to sit in a booster seat.

I'd be amazed if many parents have made it much past ten years of age with their children in boosters.
Keep in mind that the recommendation isn't to use boosters until 12-14; it's to use them until kids pass something called the 5-step test, which most kids typically pass between 10 and 12.

And a bit of food for thought...if you can't get your 10-12 year old to sit in a car seat, how are you going to get them to listen to you when it comes to much more emotionally charged issues like drinking, safe sex, drug use, and so on during the teen years? Part of being a parent means having and exercising authority, even when things aren't easy.

·
Registered
559 Posts
And a bit of food for thought...if you can't get your 10-12 year old to sit in a car seat, how are you going to get them to listen to you when it comes to much more emotionally charged issues like drinking, safe sex, drug use, and so on during the teen years? Part of being a parent means having and exercising authority, even when things aren't easy.
We'll cross that bridge when we get there, but I would love to meet your adolescent kids.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Keep in mind that the recommendation isn't to use boosters until 12-14; it's to use them until kids pass something called the 5-step test, which most kids typically pass between 10 and 12.

Dude...good luck keeping your kids in a rear facing seat until they are 4 or 5!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have 4 kids, ages 3, 5, 7 and 9. The middle booster works for everyone except the 3 year old. It was a must-have purchase in our case since we also have a dog and sometimes we just want to take one car to go out on the weekends (we drop one of the 3rd row seats to make room). I also purchased the booster cover that has more cushioning on the sides but it didn't really work for us. It made it harder to access the seatbelt and slide the second row seats to get into the 3rd row. So if anyone is looking to buy the booster cover, I have one for sale (or trade for a traditional Volvo booster).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts