SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just Installed IPd oval tube exhaust on my 04 SR, seems quite loud for daily driver, anyone else find this to be true? Also have EST downpipe with high flow cat, had to do something for exhaust as 3in downpipe to 2 1/2 stock exhaust makes no sense. Really liked the sound of stock exhaust with resonator delete though, just seemed like power would suffer with stock exhaust, now too loud so what to do?

Cheers:beer:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Music to my ears. Live with it or sell

·
Registered
876 Posts
Take it off, and ship it to me :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take it off, and ship it to me :)
Well not quite to that point yet, lol. It does have a great tone to it over stock and is a beautifully constructed piece, just louder than I would have liked or expected it to be. I guess no one has much sympathy for me on this one, lol!!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I absolutely love mine, my wife even loves it... I wouldn't ever go back to anything else. Buy some of these, remove your tip. Stretch one out a little bit by pulling it into about a 5-6 inch spread so that it will fill the baffle from the 3 inch pipe to two tips. Start with one and go for a test drive. This should solve your issue and still provide the benefits of the IPD system.

http://www.amazon.com/Scrubs-replacement-scrubbies-GrillScrubber-barbecue/dp/B000QHIIOW/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1348284701&sr=1-1&keywords=steel+wool+ball

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have had mine for awhile now and I do love the exhaust note. My issue is with the drone in the power band. I'm OK with it; my wife hates it. It is quit noticeable and for long highway drives it's a little disconcerting. I was in the process of sourcing a new resonator. Chris from IPD had given me the needed dimensions. I have a few friends doing research but nothing yet. I may try the steel pads for shts and grins. I'm sure it's more noticeable because of the estate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, I find it too loud for highway cruising (2000-2500 rpm). It's frustrating IPD would release a product that drones like a rice rocket. I've gotten used to it, but if I regularly did long Highway drives, I would consider switching it out. Swapping out the muffler may be another option. I also have the IPD downpipe installed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I find it too loud for highway cruising (2000-2500 rpm). It's frustrating IPD would release a product that drones like a rice rocket. I've gotten used to it, but if I regularly did long Highway drives, I would consider switching it out. Swapping out the muffler may be another option. I also have the IPD downpipe installed.
Well at least I'm not the only one, guess I wouldn't quite classify it as "ricey" , but definitely "racey". These cars are a little dignified , dare I say. A volvo that happens to be fast is one thing, a Volvo that sounds fast and has people on street turning there heads to see what's coming is a bit off the mark from what I was looking for. Like the tone just shouldn't be at level 11, Volvo should be a nice 7 :)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Well at least I'm not the only one, guess I wouldn't quite classify it as "ricey" , but definitely "racey". These cars are a little dignified , dare I say. A volvo that happens to be fast is one thing, a Volvo that sounds fast and has people on street turning there heads to see what's coming is a bit off the mark from what I was looking for. Like the tone just shouldn't be at level 11, Volvo should be a nice 7 :)
x2

·
Registered
157 Posts
another muffler option on IPD oval

I already have the IPD oval exhaust, but won't have the chance to install it for a while. I am concerned about the noise factor too. I like my neighbors. Here is one other option to consider to stop the resonance and help this exhaust have a dual character.

Dynomax makes the VT muffler with a spring loaded valve that keeps sound down at low throttle, but opens all the way for full flow. At first, I was skeptical of them. I had a Ram SRT-10. 8.3 liters, Paxton, long tube headers, dual 3" exhausts, with 2 straight thru Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers. It was still too loud for my taste. So I added on two of the 17957 VT mufflers (same case size as the one below) behind the axle and they worked great. Zero resonance, and sounded great at full throttle. Some die hard Viper guys thought my truck was too quiet, but I thought it was perfect. The pair flowed good enough for 689rwhp.

The 17962 has similar inlet and outlet placement, is stainless, and its case size (14x9.75x4.5) is very close to muffler on the IPD oval exhaust (15x8.75x5.25). I think it would almost be a direct fit. The only issue would be to cut off the muffler outlet and weld the IPD curved pipe/bracket there, no biggie. Here's a link- www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

I respect that exhaust sound is subjective top each personal taste, but always good to have options.

·
Registered
998 Posts
To the OP and everyone else who thinks IPD Oval Tube is too loud...

In all seriousness, it sounds amazing, but still not loud enough IMO. For comparison, my buddy's stock C63 AMG is louder than my IPD turboback setup.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I already have the IPD oval exhaust, but won't have the chance to install it for a while. I am concerned about the noise factor too. I like my neighbors. Here is one other option to consider to stop the resonance and help this exhaust have a dual character.

Dynomax makes the VT muffler with a spring loaded valve that keeps sound down at low throttle, but opens all the way for full flow. At first, I was skeptical of them. I had a Ram SRT-10. 8.3 liters, Paxton, long tube headers, dual 3" exhausts, with 2 straight thru Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers. It was still too loud for my taste. So I added on two of the 17957 VT mufflers (same case size as the one below) behind the axle and they worked great. Zero resonance, and sounded great at full throttle. Some die hard Viper guys thought my truck was too quiet, but I thought it was perfect. The pair flowed good enough for 689rwhp.

The 17962 has similar inlet and outlet placement, is stainless, and its case size (14x9.75x4.5) is very close to muffler on the IPD oval exhaust (15x8.75x5.25). I think it would almost be a direct fit. The only issue would be to cut off the muffler outlet and weld the IPD curved pipe/bracket there, no biggie. Here's a link- www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt
This is an intriguing stealth option. I may look into swapping out the ipd muffler and will report back with results.

·
Registered
919 Posts
before you go too crazy, ensure that all clamps are tight. you might be getting some exhaust sneaking out and therefore louder than it should be.

·
Registered
614 Posts
To the OP and everyone else who thinks IPD Oval Tube is too loud...

In all seriousness, it sounds amazing, but still not loud enough IMO. For comparison, my buddy's stock C63 AMG is louder than my IPD turboback setup.
While I know where you are coming from, a 2.5 engine is slightly different than a 6.2 liter. A completely different kind of loud. Not to mention I believe the "stock" C63's exhaust are made by Eisenmann so it is hardly "stock". But yeah, arguably the most raw sounding car on the plant (especially of the 4 door variety). Too bad Merc discontinued, or is in the process of discontinuing, those engines...

·
Registered
598 Posts
I was considering buying one of these exhausts to compliment my recently purchased Phuzzy downpipe and phmic. Now I'm having second thoughts.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have had mine for awhile now and I do love the exhaust note. My issue is with the drone in the power band. I'm OK with it; my wife hates it. It is quit noticeable and for long highway drives it's a little disconcerting. I was in the process of sourcing a new resonator. Chris from IPD had given me the needed dimensions. I have a few friends doing research but nothing yet. I may try the steel pads for shts and grins. I'm sure it's more noticeable because of the estate.
Let us know if you find a worthy resonator to fix this. The drone does get annoying on the freeway. It isnt necessarily loud, I love WOT noise but when slightly off the gas around 3000rpm its way too bassy.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Let us know if you find a worth resonator to fix this. The drone does get annoying on the freeway. It isnt necessarily loud, I love WOT noise but when slightly off the gas around 3000rpm its way too bassy.
First car was an '87 GTI 16V with tuned intakes designed to increase torque at 'lower' rpm (3000-4000 rpm) through a resonance effect (think organ pipes.) Great car in many ways, but while the resonant intake worked as advertised, the maximum effect at about 3500 and 125 km/hr in 5th was literally tiresome on long expressway drives. The solution, of course (when you are in your 20s), was to exceed 4000 rpm while cruising, and I did some of my shortest-ever long distance ETs in that car.

Sounds like sourcing a proper resonator would be the trick, but I thought it came in a 'touring' version with a (resonator and) a more subdued note?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts