SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I finally found the V50 I've been looking for, a black '05 with 6speed, T5 and AWD. =)
The exhaust note was a little loud when I picked the car up, so when I got home I had a look underneath and found a full Elevate 3" exhaust was already on the car!
maybe someone knows the original owner? I bought it from a dealership in Manassas, VA.

anyway, now I want to upgrade the turbo etc and wondered if anyone had experience with the guys at Turbotech in Sweden?
I've contacted them in regards an upgraded turbo, and they will get back to me shortly. they don't offer tunes or anything else.
just wondering if anyone could recommend a tune to go with the turbotech turbo upgrade (stage 1), and anything else?
the reason I've contacted them is because I'm often in Sweden for business and I thought I'd check with a Swedish workshop first.
if i need any other parts I could/would get them from the usa or anywhere else.

-S

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ha! I almost bought that car. Maximum Auto Outlet? I paid for them to get it inspected at Fairfax Volvo.

Turbo upgrades on this platform are quite a big deal. TBH I would go about getting the full suite of bolt-ons and a reputable Stage 3 tune on the car and see what you think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that is hilarious. one of the calipers was seized and the sunroof drains were clogged? maximum auto outlet told me the car passed with no issues. well, anyway, i bought it and it’s been good aside from the ignition switch dying after one week. the whole job to replace it took two hours with a T25 and a butter knife (and $330 for a new switch).
also, those awful chrome exhaust tips had to go, that’s when i noticed the full 3” exhaust. bingo!
after the exhaust, i think the only other significant bolt on would be an intercooler? i’ve read other places the intake manifold and air filter box plus intake tube are good enough as stock? someone can add their 2cts.
anyway, i didn’t want to bother doing a tune without upgrading the turbo etc. besides, if someone already invested the money for the entire elevate exhaust, maybe the car has a tune already. it’s quick now but i’d like a more significant increase in power.
i should hear back from turbotech on monday, i’ll share what they tell me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah. Sounds like an upgraded front mount intercooler might be the next piece of your puzzle.
Stock airbox is good for anything stock turbo, I would do the intake tube though.

Check with Don (elevate) or Juha (shark) and see if they have records of that VIN being tuned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so, just got off the phone with Turbotech.
the cost of an upgraded 'stage 1' turbo is 10,575sek without an exchange turbo. 8700 if you can send in your original turbo.
when I spoke to them last week, I think I remember them saying they replace both the compressor and the turbine wheel.
apparently with this turbo you are good to make 400 hp if you make all the other mods and tune it right.
also, their tech said this turbo will bolt right on and make an improvement without any other modifications, as the car's systems will adapt to it as much as they can.
no idea how much hp increase you can expect without making other mods.
he couldn't recommend a place to get a tune, as turbotech prefers not to get involved or advise on that step. understandable, with so many variables to each individual car.
I'm going to get one of these to start the process of upgrading and tuning, and let's see where it ends up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here it is, can’t wait to install it! thanks turbotech.se

i also ordered a haldex controller ffrom an xc90 v8 early model, apparently this may improve the front/rear torque split? any opinions? saw the video from myideanamesweretaken and had to try it out.

also i ordered the stiffening insert for the transmission torque mount. powerflex? can’t remember the name of the company.

suppose i will be needing an intercooler. does anyone have one to sell?

https://ibb.co/vs15MM3

·
Registered
397 Posts
Small world as I live in Manassas, VA. Best of luck with the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts