SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
The stock 850R clutch is durable enough to handle that combo so any spec clutch will be better. You don't need to go crazy. Every level higher means harder pedal force so if you ever drive in traffic you'll be miserable.

Have you read how ARD has problems with ME7 tuning? You might want to research that before you lose your money, because if you have a problem he will not give you a refund. IPD, Hilton, and JZW all have better reputations on the 99 and up cars.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
A lot of the P2R guys stay away from Spec, they have a premature failure streak. The stock P2R clutch or 850R clutch do just fine at high power levels from what I hear. And yeah I'd go Hilton, iPd, JZW over ARD. Also, don't go with an aftermarket TCV. They're all terrible.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I still have my stock 16T, but with plans to go 20T in the near future I opted to go with a SPEC stage 2. I found a lot of people even with just 18Ts that are slipping 850R clutches prematurely so I went with SPEC stage 2 based on lots of comments and research. Stage 3 sounded like it would be a bit grabbier and maybe more leg work than I want on a daily driver, but who knows without feeling one.

The SACHS 707 combined with re-pinning the flywheel seems like the tried and true way to go for those making more power but I didn't have the time or means to ship out my flywheel.

If the stage 2 is stiffer, it's barely stiffer than stock clutch. I only have about 10k miles on it so I can't comment on the longevity, but so far so good. My car is single mass flywheel.

What year is your car >> Do you have internal slave cylinder and dual mass flywheel? Or external slave cylinder and single mass flywheel? The clutches and pressure plates will be different and have different feel between the two set ups even if they are both stage 2. Any given stage clutch and pressure plate for a single mass set up will hold more power than a dual mass according to SPEC's site.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still have my stock 16T, but with plans to go 20T in the near future I opted to go with a SPEC stage 2. I found a lot of people even with just 18Ts that are slipping 850R clutches prematurely so I went with SPEC stage 2 based on lots of comments and research. Stage 3 sounded like it would be a bit grabbier and maybe more leg work than I want on a daily driver, but who knows without feeling one.

The SACHS 707 combined with re-pinning the flywheel seems like the tried and true way to go for those making more power but I didn't have the time or means to ship out my flywheel.

If the stage 2 is stiffer, it's barely stiffer than stock clutch. I only have about 10k miles on it so I can't comment on the longevity, but so far so good. My car is single mass flywheel.

What year is your car >> Do you have internal slave cylinder and dual mass flywheel? Or external slave cylinder and single mass flywheel? The clutches and pressure plates will be different and have different feel between the two set ups even if they are both stage 2. Any given stage clutch and pressure plate for a single mass set up will hold more power than a dual mass according to SPEC's site.
99 V70. Not sure how I tell if internal slave and dual mass? This will not be a daily driver but when I do go out I don't want to do in car left leg squats. I don't have the time or skill to pull the engine/reinstall and mess with the flywheel.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
99 will be a dual mass flywheel and internal slave. If you plan to really thrash it get the tougher one.

I have a 19T with the 850R clutch and it is holding up well, and I drive it aggressively but don't thrash on it. I did slip it once doing a 4000 RPM launch but that was just a case of overheating it. That was 10,000 miles ago, I launch at around 2500-3000 now and it's been holding up fine. If I was harder on my car I'd need an upgrade. I'll probably upgrade anyway if I ever pull the engine or trans out again.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes, '99 will be dual mass and internal slave. Volvo switched the set up in mid 1998.

Will you have a shop do the work, then? Make sure they tighten the pressure plate bolts down all the way!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes, '99 will be dual mass and internal slave. Volvo switched the set up in mid 1998.

Will you have a shop do the work, then? Make sure they tighten the pressure plate bolts down all the way!
Yeah, there is really only one indy volvo shop here in vegas, but denver is close enough that I would consider the drive up to have it worked on/tuned by JZW tuning. I've seen some of his videos, have you guys had him do any heavy duty mechanical work? I just don't trust myself to pull the head (and there isn't a machine shop in town that my indy would recommend to do the head), and I have no compression in cylinder 4 (95k miles).

Talked to John, no mechanical work on Volvo's but there are a few shops in Denver. I'd like the car tuned in person so maybe Lloyd can recommend an indy volvo shop around denver he trusts?

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
They're expensive but most of the Volvo shops here are pretty good. Swedish Motors in Boulder is probably the one closest to JZW that I know of. Not sure what other choices there are in the Longmont area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts