SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

anyone use wireless phone charger for their XC90?

6K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  JSoLaNo305 
#1 ·
#2 ·
$125 for slower charging and no connectivity? No thanks, I’ll use a $5 cable and get the benefits of CarPlay/AA.

#8 ·
I tried different locations in the center console and please keep in mind that sometimes I get the "key not found" message even if the key is in the center console. So mine interferes with the car-key connection. If I keep it in the little space near the radio button, then it is ok but that space is not ideal.

#9 ·
I'd like to purchase a wireless phone charger but I can't seem to find ones that fit XC90's console without looking bulky and in the way. anyone have one that fits well and discreetly? most importantly it should function well.
I did see this one on amazon but there are no reviews.
I've been using one designed as a desktop charger placed on the frontmost of the 3 subsections of the center compartment:

It looks like this; you need to fold the base the other way to fit.

#13 ·
#12 · (Edited)
You are basing your assumptions on AA/Car play. What if he just wants to charge it? What if another person wants to charge it without the use of wires while he might have his plugged in the center console while using AA. He simply asked a question and others delivered a valid response. And one is deeply fixated into the AA/CarPlay scenario. Not very good at critical thinking. Do you not think the OP knows that?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I agree that is a nice one, which allows you to sit your phone up.

I actually have the one the OP has listed and it also works great! I use that for charging and have upgraded my wired Apple CarPlay to wireless so that I don't have to plug in any wires or take my phone out of my pocket if it doesn't need to be charged.

I see a few people have mentioned not being able to use CarPlay if you don't plug the cable in and thus would make this wireless charger pointless. So for those that are interested you can add a device to make CarPlay wireless in our XC90s. This is the unit I'm using:

Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter for Volvo XC90 XC60 XC40 V90 2016-2020
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CRRPFB7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_u0fbGbHSXE074

Works great and combined with the wireless charger, this setup offers a complete solution.

#16 ·
I made this QI charger by combining a Proclip mount only for the XC90 with a generic 10 watt QI charger that was intended to mount in a generic vent.

I cut off the majority of the plastic mount on the Qi charger below the ball, a used JB Weld to glue it to the Proclip.

I then ran two USB cables. One powers the Qi charger itself off a fuse tap. The other USB-c is to run AA off the USB inside the storage compartment.

I got the charger off Amazon. The arms move in and out electronically when you place the phone on the charger. The is a button that releases the grips electronically even without power being present. The charge is generic in size and the bottom foot adjusts to your particular phone model. I have upgraded phones three times using the same charger.

I liked this mount so much I installed it for my a few relatives.

Attachments

#17 ·
#20 ·
Thank you for the link for this unit. Delivered to me in the US in less than three weeks. It really fits great and charges very well even with a Otterbox case. No problem handling a large Samsung Note phone. Gives the console a really smooth and clean look and the console shuts perfectly.

Now my wife and I both have Qi chargers, and extra USB charging ports too.

#19 ·
I ordered this phone holder/charger and while it's manual, I love seeing the Maps, who calls, texts, etc. as I don't use the main display for that and don't love the Android Auto that much (thank god I didn't spend any money getting that added!). It's the best setup for me.

#21 ·
#23 ·
#24 ·
I hate it on my 21'XC90. Wish it wasn't there and instead bigger cup holders. I also don't need to charge my iPhone every minute that's inside my car. I always get the MAX size iPhone for the battery life and screen. Right now the iPhone 13 Pro Max is a monster on battery life. If I ever need a quick charge which I don't I keep a cable inside my glove compartment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.