SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well documented here that there is no way to monitor basic engine temp, oil temp/pressure, boost pressures, whatever.

I am just curious if anyone has installed a BT connected OBD2 dongle to run Torque Pro or similar on their phone or use something like the Auto Meter 6032 DashLink OBD2 Gauge system to monitor their engine vitals? I hunted around for an Android app that is Android Auto compatible so I could try to display the guages on Senus under AA but it seems there was at one time but Goggle banned it. :thumbdown: Too bad!

So I am wondering what other grease monkeys like me might be using?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I bought a cheap OBD dongle and installed Torque Pro on my Android phone.
It works, but as can be expected, it only shows generic codes.
I used it to monitor the temperature at which the engine cooling system runs, but I don't use it permanently.
I mainly ordered it to retrieve error codes in case of problems.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot that I had a OBDLink MX Bluetooth Dongle that I had used for another car laying in my tool box. It supposedly is smart and shuts off it's power if you leave it plugged in so I figured I would try it. It seemed to pair with their OBDLink Android app. So I purchased Torque Pro and it seems to connect to that and recognizes it is a Volvo.

I did not realize how limited the stock PIDs were. I found Collant Temp, Boost/Vacuum, Toque, HP, Oil Temp, Tranny Temp, but sadly Oil Pressure seemed to be missing. So at least I can display them on the phone if I feel the need.

I attempted to get this XDA paid app https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/paid-software/app-obd2-plugin-android-auto-torque-t3657805 that is supposed to be able to display the Torque Pro gauges via Android Auto, but after purchasing it and trying it I found out it does not work on Samsung phones. $1.99 down the flusher. :thumbdown: Maybe someday the developer will get it work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Anyhow, you can see some interesting data on a phone screen. View attachment 49375

You can see, car speed (real one, not the one shown to driver), RPM (not shown in ECO mode), gear (in yellow, I had to calculate, not provided by Volvo obd2), voltage, turbo boost, engine torque, temperature, etc.
Nothing essential, but funny.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyhow, you can see some interesting data on a phone screen. View attachment 49375

You can see, car speed (real one, not the one shown to driver), RPM (not shown in ECO mode), gear (in yellow, I had to calculate, not provided by Volvo obd2), voltage, turbo boost, engine torque, temperature, etc.
Is that from Torque Pro? I cannot seem to duplicated that. Can you please export the layout and share that? What is the PIID for the tranny gear?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is that from Torque Pro? I cannot seem to duplicated that. Can you please export the layout and share that? What is the PIID for the tranny gear?
Nope, is from OBDlink. But with Torque may be quite similar.
As for the gear, there is no PID. I had to create a new formula, based on speed and RPM.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

I noticed the temperature at 85°C. I assume that's engine coolant temperature. I found about
the same temperature and was a bit surprised that the engine runs so cool.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I noticed the temperature at 85°C. I assume that's engine coolant temperature. I found about the same temperature and was a bit surprised that the engine runs so cool.
Yes, that is coolant temperature - mine generally reads about 185 F. I bought an Automatic Pro OBD adapter and use the OBD Fusion app on my iPhone to occasionally monitor coolant temperature and battery voltage. I leave the adapter plugged in all the time and haven't noticed any additional battery drain.

Here are a couple of threads on OBD scanners and a screenshot of the OBD Fusion app:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?577013

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?576275

·
Registered
174 Posts
To be fair... I have an ROIK-VV installed in my XC60 and therefore have a native-Android tablet in the Sensus display so I run Torque right in my dash.

After trying several different cheap-ish OBDII dongles... I settled on this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DC22Z4X/

It supports the latest ELM firmware, has a good refresh rate for data, and automatically powers off on it's own, so you can essentially leave it connected to the OBDII port 24/7.
It also seems to work quite well with Torque Pro for Android.

I can't speak the hacked up Android Auto stuff... as I don't personally use AA anymore... but I'm sure you could peek around over at XDA-developers... as I think that's where that software originated.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
FYI, All SPA cars have new or different logic for the OBD connector. When connecting into the OBD connector with the ignition switch in the off position, VIDA will start to communicate with the car.
The SPA cars have P2P logic. When leaving any OBD dongle connected, with the car turned off, not all of the brains will power down or go to sleep.
This can drain the battery if the car is not started for an extended period of time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts