SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Link send me back to xc90 main forum page.

Are you talking about the dealer installed Bluetooth Grom module made by Motorola? The head units were made to simple add BT.

2010 xc90 3.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Save the time and headache. Get a blue tooth receive and plug it into the AUX port in the cupholder.
I use this. It's a little larger than a domino and does the job fantastically. Run time is about 15 hours before it needs a recharge.
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Au...=101&pf_rd_i=1293687011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

There are other flavors that all get pumped out of the same Asian factory ... some for more, some for less. Different external case. Just make sure whatever you purchase is BT 4.0 or >. Ideally Bluetooth 5.0 like the Anker.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Sounds...r+adapter&qid=1558800650&s=electronics&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.com/Golvery-Blue...=101&pf_rd_i=1293687011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use GROM and it works perfectly for USB and Bluetooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
+1

I read about this device a few days ago, and it sounds very promising, especially, if you don't have an Aux-In, like me... :)

I'll try it next month, my budget is way out of line this month (I bought my MY05 three weeks ago). If you do try it in the meantime, I'd be happy to hear about your experiences. :)

Btw how much is it in the US? Here in Germany it's around 120.-€ (~135.-$).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1

I read about this device a few days ago, and it sounds very promising, especially, if you don't have an Aux-In, like me... :)

I'll try it next month, my budget is way out of line this month (I bought my MY05 three weeks ago). If you do try it in the meantime, I'd be happy to hear about your experiences. :)

Btw how much is it in the US? Here in Germany it's around 120.-€ (~135.-$).
This device is $118 in the US on ebay. I am going to try and install it today but am not very good with this kind of stuff. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use GROM and it works perfectly for USB and Bluetooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes you are right about GROM but this unit is $120 and if it works it'll do the same thing. Just trying to save a few bucks here.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think my Grom module blew out. I tried the radio Bluetooth but the call and sound quality is lacking.

Tried the aux Bluetooth and sounds quality was great but again the call quality is lacking. I am probably going to go back and replace the Grom module.

2010 xc90 3.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
This device is $118 in the US on ebay. I am going to try and install it today but am not very good with this kind of stuff. :D
If I can be of any help, let me know! I'm quite familiar with pulling out the whole Multimedia-Climate-Thingy :D You have the instructions for this? If not let me know. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I can be of any help, let me know! I'm quite familiar with pulling out the whole Multimedia-Climate-Thingy :D You have the instructions for this? If not let me know. :)
That would be great. Have you installed this before? I can take the Head UNit out.
Also that video is not very clear on the wiring portion I guess for power and ground. Also there are some switches that are not shown properly with on/off positions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm sorry for the late answer, I'm not yet familiar with the forum settings... ;)

As far as the jumpers go, I unfortunately don't have the settings for these. The rest seems fairly straight forward. :)

• pull out the climate-multimedia thingy
  • look from the backside onto the unit, on the right side is a plug with two orange cables coming out. Pull this one out. Don't take the upper plug with orange cables. In general, be careful with the orange cables, if you fold them only once, they're down. These are fibre-optic cables, so handle with extra care (don't forget that later, when putting the whole thing back in)
  • the plug that you just pulled out, put it in the female plug on the cable from the P600
  • put one male end from the P600 cable into the headunit where unplugged before
  • the other one you put into P600 (if still in there, remove the grey thing first)
  • that's it for the fibre-optic part
  • for power, I normally go with these add-a-circuit fuses for example from amazon. You can easily use these in the fuse box on the drivers side under the steering wheel. To get there, unscrew the two torx next to the light over the pedals, pull middle hard on the panel that runs on the right side from the accelarator pedal to the seat, than pull the trim over the panels from bottom upwards to the seat.
  • The unit itself should work in three places:
    • glued (double side tape) under the CD changer (where you pulled the orange cable)
    • glued (double side tape) under the heating outlets
    • on both sides of the tunnel you can put it behind the carpet. There is good room there and you don't have to worry about rattling noises
  • the microphone I'd run from the P600 over the pedals, than to the fuse box drivers side door, up the A-pillar to the roof. You don't need to pull the pillar trim apart, just stay at the front of the pillar to the windshield and push the cable in there. That way you also stay out of the way for the side airbag.

Did I miss something? I hope not, but if you have any questions, just ask. :)

Oh, and I'm sure, I'm not the only one, who wants to see pictures :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sorry for the late answer, I'm not yet familiar with the forum settings... ;)

As far as the jumpers go, I unfortunately don't have the settings for these. The rest seems fairly straight forward. :)

• pull out the climate-multimedia thingy
  • look from the backside onto the unit, on the right side is a plug with two orange cables coming out. Pull this one out. Don't take the upper plug with orange cables. In general, be careful with the orange cables, if you fold them only once, they're down. These are fibre-optic cables, so handle with extra care (don't forget that later, when putting the whole thing back in)
  • the plug that you just pulled out, put it in the female plug on the cable from the P600
  • put one male end from the P600 cable into the headunit where unplugged before
  • the other one you put into P600 (if still in there, remove the grey thing first)
  • that's it for the fibre-optic part
  • for power, I normally go with these add-a-circuit fuses for example from amazon. You can easily use these in the fuse box on the drivers side under the steering wheel. To get there, unscrew the two torx next to the light over the pedals, pull middle hard on the panel that runs on the right side from the accelarator pedal to the seat, than pull the trim over the panels from bottom upwards to the seat.
  • The unit itself should work in three places:
    • glued (double side tape) under the CD changer (where you pulled the orange cable)
    • glued (double side tape) under the heating outlets
    • on both sides of the tunnel you can put it behind the carpet. There is good room there and you don't have to worry about rattling noises
  • the microphone I'd run from the P600 over the pedals, than to the fuse box drivers side door, up the A-pillar to the roof. You don't need to pull the pillar trim apart, just stay at the front of the pillar to the windshield and push the cable in there. That way you also stay out of the way for the side airbag.

Did I miss something? I hope not, but if you have any questions, just ask. :)

Oh, and I'm sure, I'm not the only one, who wants to see pictures :D
Thanks for the detailed reply.
However, the unit I have goes through the CD player connection on top and the harness turned out to be faulty as the moment I connected their harness the HU didn't power up.
I guess I will be going for the GROM unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts