SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Am I the only one considering ditching the 20” Cratus wheels on my RD for 18s? Anyone else done it and can chime in? Or am I nuts? :screwy:

Car had bent wheels when I bought it in July. Selling dealer agreed to replace all 4, and were new Volvo in October. With PA roads, I’m worried they’ll be bent again at some point. Hate having an XC that I need to baby and worry every time I hit a bump.

Also wondering how much the 18s will soften the ride? Handles like a dream, but is a bit harsh as some know. Maybe I’m getting old, but a bit softer ride may be welcome. Hate to ditch the Cratus, being RD-specific though...

Thanks for any input,

Joe

P.S. - Know this isn’t the classifieds, but anyone have any nice P3 18s near PA? Cratus or Ixion maybe?:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I switched to 19" wheels from a 2018 XC60 for that reason (on a 2012 RD). I have 18s as snows (Zephyrus) and going back to 20" Cratus was really rough on terrible roads around here. VERY happy with my decision, lost a little in handling buy I like the ride more now.

I bought from these guys, who are local to me but have great deals on takeoff wheels/tires from new models.

https://worcester.craigslist.org/wto/d/oxford-volvo-xc90-xc60-v90cc-s90-wheels/6914690085.html

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks for the input! Any pics of yours with the 19s?

I could kick myself, should have just had the seller buy 18s or 19s when they were replaced. Could have had 4 new wheels of my choosing. Already had the 20” tires though, and also hated to remove the Cratus since they are part of what makes the RD special. Oh well, live and learn I guess...

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Top is on 18s, bottom is 19s.

Wow, that is sexy looking! :eek:

Those 19s are the ones I almost ordered too, in place of the new Cratus. Wasn’t sure how they’d look on the original XC though, so I didn’t. Pretty sure your 18” pic is one that sold me on the mudflap kit too, wasn’t sure on how they’d look on an RD.

So, in terms of harshness AND handling, what is your perceived change from 20-19-18? Not sure if I want 19 or 18; 18 certainly has more tire selection, but don’t want to lose TOO much of the handling. Don’t like the harsh bumps, but man does the RD handle through turns. :D

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow, that is sexy looking! :eek:

Those 19s are the ones I almost ordered too, in place of the new Cratus. Wasn’t sure how they’d look on the original XC though, so I didn’t. Pretty sure your 18” pic is one that sold me on the mudflap kit too, wasn’t sure on how they’d look on an RD.

So, in terms of harshness AND handling, what is your perceived change from 20-19-18? Not sure if I want 19 or 18; 18 certainly has more tire selection, but don’t want to lose TOO much of the handling. Don’t like the harsh bumps, but man does the RD handle through turns. :D

Thanks,

Joe
Hard to compare the 18s, since they are on snow tires which generally have a softer tread / sidewall.

For me, the 19s seemed like I gained more in ride comfort than I lost in handling, so it was worth it. I don't notice any loss of handling at this point, but my daily drive over crappy roads is much less harsh.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
We swapped our 20s for 18s and difference in ride is very noticeable. Much more comfortable!!!! We have not noticed much, if any difference in handling as if staying a legal speeds and not racing around a race track this car can still handle being thrown around corners better than most in its class with 18s. Other plus is tyre choice is better and much cheaper. To change over we just bought a whole set of wheels and tyres on eBay for the price of about one new 20" tyre and they are genuine Volvo and in as new condition. Also the tyre wall sticks out on the 18s so ya don't have to worry about gutter rash on your wheels as much. Just do it, you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Are you folks with smaller wheels noticing a huge reduction in road noise along with better ride quality? That should be another major selling point for running smaller wheels with more tire sidewall between road and car. As for a reduction in handling, a good tire should still have adequately rigid sidewalls for good handling even with more sidewall. Besides, you can often compensate for a softer sidewall by running higher tire pressures than before, til you find the right ride/ handling compromise for your taste. Adding a rear sway bar can also more than compensate for any perception of reduced body control with spongier sidewalls.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are you folks with smaller wheels noticing a huge reduction in road noise along with better ride quality? That should be another major selling point for running smaller wheels with more tire sidewall between road and car. As for a reduction in handling, a good tire should still have adequately rigid sidewalls for good handling even with more sidewall. Besides, you can often compensate for a softer sidewall by running higher tire pressures than before, til you find the right ride/ handling compromise for your taste. Adding a rear sway bar can also more than compensate for any perception of reduced body control with spongier sidewalls.
I did notice a large reduction in road noise. The first time I drove the car that's the first thing I noticed.

That said, I was coming off my snow tires, and before that a completely worn set of 20s, so my perception might be off.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'd happily trade you my 18s with Yokohama Geolandar G015s with plenty of life! :D

2.1.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts