SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just ordered a set of Winter tires (Continental VikingContact 7) in 225/50R18 for my S90 T6 Momentum Plus.

They seemed like a good narrower substitute for the stock 245/45R18, because narrower is better for winter tires.

The customer service rep from Tire Rack just emailed me asking me to confirm that I really wanted that tire size, as they had no data on whether or not it would properly fit. I guess their concern is that since it has a 0.7% larger rolling diameter, it might rub?

I'd appreciate any input regarding experiences with this tire size!

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually,

I see that one of the factory tire sizes offered with the S90 is 255/40R19. It has even higher rolling radius than 225/50R18, and is much wider to boot.

Am I safe to assume that since the 255/40R19's fit, the 225/50R18's will as well?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey all,

I just ordered a set of Winter tires (Continental VikingContact 7) in 225/50R18 for my S90 T6 Momentum Plus.

They seemed like a good narrower substitute for the stock 245/45R18, because narrower is better for winter tires.

The customer service rep from Tire Rack just emailed me asking me to confirm that I really wanted that tire size, as they had no data on whether or not it would properly fit. I guess their concern is that since it has a 0.7% larger rolling diameter, it might rub?

I'd appreciate any input regarding experiences with this tire size!

Thanks,
Matt
finally another member going my route...18s.
which rims?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
finally another member going my route...18s.
which rims?

I'm using the wheels the car came with:

wheel-sml.jpg

I am putting my winters on these, and then deciding what to do about my summers come spring.

I might wind up with a set of 19" BBS or something with 255/40R19's. Or I may stay with 18". Not sure yet.

I don't want to go so large that I am bending rims and popping tires all the time, but I think 19" still leaves enough rubber between the road and the rim that they will be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts