SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious, has anyone remove center resonator from 2.5t xc90? I am thinking of doing this since my resonator will need to be replaced soon due to corrosion. My xc90 also suffers from the infamous high pitch squeal of the driveshaft rubbing on the resonator when splashed with water during rain or snow. I know this is common on the s60R and V70R, but mine does it too. I know the easiest fix is to remove the resonator and replace with straight pipe (aka JRL mod)

SO has anyone done this here on the 2.5t? How much louder is it?

Thanks

·
Registered
728 Posts
Curious, has anyone remove center resonator from 2.5t xc90? I am thinking of doing this since my resonator will need to be replaced soon due to corrosion. My xc90 also suffers from the infamous high pitch squeal of the driveshaft rubbing on the resonator when splashed with water during rain or snow. I know this is common on the s60R and V70R, but mine does it too. I know the easiest fix is to remove the resonator and replace with straight pipe (aka JRL mod)

SO has anyone done this here on the 2.5t? How much louder is it?

Thanks
I've read (eg no direct experience myself) that you'll probably end up with drone. Unless someone else can confirm that, best to try it out and budget for possible redo with a resonator added back in.

They wouldn't put such a large one there if it wasn't needed

·
Registered
950 Posts
Agreed, you're going to want a resonator. Just put in a small-er resonator. Or two.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I believe I found a video or two online of a 2.5T with resonator delete when I was searching, before I had it removed on my V8. Try using "front muffler" in the search as well.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yes, I looked them up too as I wasn't aware of the JRL mod before this.... the one actually sounds pretty good :)

I mentioned to Yonaka that they might consider a non-resonated variant of their forthcoming exhaust - we'll see what develops :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I understand in the wagons and sedans, there is no drone from removing the center resonator which is why I asked specifically about the xc90. If and when I do it, I will report back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts