SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking about the ones offered from do88 on sites like ipd/viva/etc. I don't want to do an entire FMIC setup because that's excessive to what I want to do to the car since I want to keep it mostly stock, but an aluminum radiator might make sense for me personally. Does it give enough of a performance benefit from stock to make spending $460 for the actual part + whatever labor to put it in? At the same time if it is with it I might as well add silicone radiator piping, so basically around ~$600 for just the parts alone. The only other mod I want to do is a forge CBV, and I already have a custom catback exhaust, but besides that and maybe an aluminum radiator I'm not interested in doing anything else. Maybe a stage 1 tune down the road after I get the CBV put in but it's not really necessary, the car is fast enough as is for me, but guess I'll see if my addiction for a faster car will get the better of me.

Should mention I have an m66 transmission so the radiator should fit my car. Any possible fitment issues with just buying the radiator and the silicone pipes? Do I need to do anything special to make sure it will all fit in one go?

Radiator: https://www.vivaperformance.com/do88-silicone-radiator-coolant-hose-kit-volvo-s60-v70-s80/
Silicone piping: https://www.vivaperformance.com/do88-silicone-radiator-coolant-hose-kit-volvo-s60-v70-s80/

This isn't something I want to do for awhile...maybe 1 year into owning the car, but it'd be nice to know if its worth it honestly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I heard the oem radiator & plastic pipes like to go bad, so getting an upgraded one would definitely be an add on to make the car possibly more reliable.

·
Registered
861 Posts
an aluminum radiator might make sense for me personally. Does it give enough of a performance benefit from stock to make spending $460 for the actual part + whatever labor to put it in?
You will not see any difference between the factory radiator and this aluminum radiator - the factory radiator keeps the coolant at the correct temperature, even here in Phoenix where the summer temps get to 120ºF.

Now if you replace the factory intercooler with the D088 intercooler or similar, then you will see a performance difference.

Yeah I heard the oem radiator & plastic pipes like to go bad, so getting an upgraded one would definitely be an add on to make the car possibly more reliable.
The factory aluminum / end tank radiator in my car lasted 13 years before it sprung a leak (last year), and the hoses were still in good shape but I replaced them along with the radiator. The replacement radiator was a Volvo OEM aluminum / plastic end tank unit and I expect it will last for 10+ years, just as the original one did.

·
Registered
431 Posts
if you go with a stock rad, buy it through FCPeuro for their lifetime warranty

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Don’t. The plastic ones fail safe(r) than the metal ones. And these cars do not last minutes without coolant FYI.

·
3,899 Posts
Plastic end tank rads usually last longer, they are less prone to cracking. That at least has been my experience with multiple project cars. I would highly recommend the D088 as far as intercoolers go, amazing to say the least.

If your concerned about temps, throw some motul mocool in for a track day or two.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright good to know, thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I'll save my $600+ for new front struts if I ever need to replace them :)

I know an FMIC is definitely worth it for the price, but it just isn't something I want to do. Stage 2 is a bit much for me to be honest.

·
3,899 Posts
The IC really isn't a mod per say, it's allowing the engine air temps to work with cooler air. The IC really aided in heat soak in the summer. My R isn't what I'd call modified for performance but rather allow the engine to work at much better temps and breath/flow better. (IPD high flow catted DP, TME cat back, Snabb inlet pipe, K&N, D088 IC, Snabb TB & Manifold spacer, XC90 Transcooler, Focus RS block cooler. All of that will aid longevity, sure it may bump power a little but without a tune it's more of stress reliever.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I run the do88 as my plastic one gave out when after upgrading the intercooler I can say I did see better water temps all around and I live in Miami, Fl. so its a solid investment. I was going to do the same for my wife's jeep but the ones they make all have horrible reviews so OEM it was for her.

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
I had an 2 year old do88 one and the end tank split and blew all the coolant out on the highway in a cold day. Cost me an engine.

The new do88 design that was sent under warranty is better but I'm always inspecting it for cracks since it was a weld that failed the first time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sounds horrifying considering this is my daily, I'll stick with OEM. Maybe if I lived in an area like psy where it's hot for most if not all of the year, but in PA that just isn't the case.

I was pretty convinced from other forum posts or whereever I was looking that an aluminum unit was going to be at the very least more reliable than oem but seems that just isn't the story.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts