SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the course of chasing down a vibration at highway speeds (ended up being PS front CV axle, got it rebuilt at a local shop), I discovered the CV joints on my driveshaft were getting pretty stiff; 11 years cooking above a hot exhaust hasn't done them any favors, I'd wager. That, plus some scoring from a since-removed Exhaust Bracket of Death, made me decide to replace the thing if a reasonably-priced replacement fell in to my lap.

Speaking of which...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=6286944&cc=1443049&jnid=419&jpid=0

$175! For a new driveshaft! It's "wholesaler closeout," and other products from that manufacturer are also on wholesaler closeout on rockauto, so I'd wager supply's dried up and they're clearing out remaining stock.

Put it in this afternoon and it's working great so far (no vibrations, clanks, or other odd noises). Plus, it's awfully purdy.

Fabulous deal, figured I'd share with the class in case anybody's in need.

·
Registered
340 Posts
God damn. At 200 dollars shipped Colorado Driveshaft can go sit on a dick! It's about time we found something that wasn't ridiculously overpriced.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Holy crap, the boot on the front CV is split on mine and that's even cheaper than I could find a new joint for, plus the rubber on the carrier bearing is starting to look pretty dry rotted on mine so I just bought one. Thanks for the tip! :D

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Saw this last year. Considered buying for kicks. Glad it's legit.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Hell, even if its the longer one for the VR I'll just swap out my short rear shaft into the new assembly and joints, lol. Its even cheaper than a single CV from rock-auto as well.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's the longer VR one, fitment on Rockauto specifies "V70 2.5 '4 WHEEL/ALL WHEEL DRIVE; R Model'." And yeah, it's made by API. Quality seems pretty good: all joints move freely, carrier bearing spins evenly and without any play or resistance.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Hell, even if its the longer one for the VR I'll just swap out my short rear shaft into the new assembly and joints, lol. Its even cheaper than a single CV from rock-auto as well.
Would there be any joints not used from the new drive shaft if you did this? How hard would it be to swap over the other end?

·
Registered
353 Posts
just ordered one for my VR, for the price I just cant pass it. I have 3 cars that one might need replacement one day.

So will it also work for SR? Just change the rear half....

Thank you for the tip taloras

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why on earth didn't Volvo put heat shields over those CV joints? Both my driveshaft CV joints were pretty knackered, and the CV axle joint that failed on me was the inner joint, which runs right across the downpipe. *shakes head*

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thank you for posting this, my driveshaft front cv joint was starting to get a bit of play in it.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
My front joint is on its way out too. Cracked boot and some thrown out lube, still good enough for now but high on my to-do list. Thanks to this thread, no more . . .

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yiss.

Been putting off a replacement for a while. No more excuses....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts