SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking it's just a website glitch, but it even stumped the dealer when we went in to order yesterday.

If you go to build an new XC90, the trailer hitch option has gone missing as of a few days ago.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Is that online building, or ordering at the dealer? I never saw the trailer hitch option online, but was able to order it from the dealer. Maybe they are going to update the hitch to the Euro hitch. Now that would be nice, and I would cancel our currently port-installed hitch if that was the case.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm thinking it's just a website glitch, but it even stumped the dealer when we went in to order yesterday.

If you go to build an new XC90, the trailer hitch option has gone missing as of a few days ago.
Probably because it was a complete joke. :facepalm:

Hopefully, this means that they spend some time thinking about a way to support a more elegant solution (particularly since ALL other SUV brands do this already).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Probably because it was a complete joke. :facepalm:

Hopefully, this means that they spend some time thinking about a way to support a more elegant solution (particularly since ALL other SUV brands do this already).
I was thinking of getting this 'Semi Retractable Towbar' (at least thats what its called in the UK price list). Why was it a joke?

Also, what is semi retractable about it? Is it the final pull into place that is shown in the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulFV7r8dc0A

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was thinking of getting this 'Semi Retractable Towbar' (at least thats what its called in the UK price list). Why was it a joke?

Also, what is semi retractable about it? Is it the final pull into place that is shown in the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulFV7r8dc0A
That is EURO only. To be clear, the "joke" was related to cutting into a beautiful shiny new bumper here in the US to accommodate the US version of the factory hitch. Lots of people are hoping for a much more elegant alternative or an aftermarket option that won't mess with airbags and sensors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is EURO only. To be clear, the "joke" was related to cutting into a beautiful shiny new bumper here in the US to accommodate the US version of the factory hitch. Lots of people are hoping for a much more elegant alternative or an aftermarket option that won't mess with airbags and sensors.
Why is the US version different then? Are they subject to different rules/regulations determining their design?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you expand on this? How does the addition of tow hitch mess with airbags and sensors? We ordered the tow hitch but I can still cancel. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
After seeing in person the installation of the hitch, I canceled immediately my order on that option. It's so bad I can not describe it. They actually cut a hole in the bumper by hand!! Anyways just wait for an aftermarket. Meanwhile my hitch bike rack sits in my garage...

·
Registered
487 Posts
After seeing in person the installation of the hitch, I canceled immediately my order on that option. It's so bad I can not describe it. They actually cut a hole in the bumper by hand!! Anyways just wait for an aftermarket. Meanwhile my hitch bike rack sits in my garage...
DITTO on the above.

Also - My comment about sensors and airbags was related to a properly designed and executed aftermarket company building something much more elegant. I'm hopeful (still) that Volvo will figure this out, but I'm sure aftermarket companies will have something soon. For example, the guys in ATL at invisihitch offered to build something for the XC90, but they need someone in ATL to bring in their vehicle so they can create the spec since this is a new vehicle

·
Registered
487 Posts
uhh, now you guys are really scaring me as i ordered the trailer hitch
It will be fine, but needs a cover to be placed over the cut-out area. The cut out area does not look very pro without the cover - looks simply bad.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It will come with the cover. They have fallen off a few vehicles, including a vehicle I saw on the street (spoke with the owner). I would just make sure the connector for the cover is properly installed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
uhh, now you guys are really scaring me as i ordered the trailer hitch
You may want to look at the thread " XC90 Trailer Hitch Pictures " on this site. It will show pic and allow you to make an informed decision. There have been a lot of comments on this subject for the US trailer hitch set up

·
Registered
29 Posts
On Order

I didnt see on website either but was able to put on order through dealer in 11/29/15 for my Osium Grey R-Design. Yes Ive seen the pictures. It is what it is cuz I will need the hitch. It doesn't look bad with the cover in the photos. I'm not too concern when there is no cover as there are other things hitched to it to worry about. Now the long wait.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts