SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what the little cover is all the way to the right of the volume knob. Anyone?

IMG_5084.jpeg

·
Registered
312 Posts
On XC90's there's a switch for the glove box in that position.
On a S/V90 not sure...what does Owner's manual say?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Meaning it's a cover to nothing? There's definitely something behind the cover.
It's a button blank, which is one of a handful of "what were you thinking" design choices on the car (plus the air sensor to the left taking up more valuable button space). Here's a link to an article that shows what it looks like in early SPA XC90s (I think in later ones it just says something like "glove open"): https://www.cars.com/articles/what-does-this-button-do-in-the-2016-volvo-xc90-1420681094731/

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
As mentioned, it's the button for the glove box on the XC90. This car doesn't have that feature so it's nothing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As mentioned, it's the button for the glove box on the XC90. This car doesn't have that feature so it's nothing.
Ohhhhh, but it's not just a blank panel, it's actually a cover I think. I'll check it out in a few minutes and post back here.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Could be. Haven't tried to remove just the "button" or "cover" because there is no need- it doesn't do anything.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Could be. Haven't tried to remove just the "button" or "cover" because there is no need- it doesn't do anything.
LOL 😂 But it's a cover, how can a cover do nothing? A cover has a function to cover something. How about the cover is covering a hole. So now it "does" have a function - to cover a hole. LOL. Sorry - I just wet myself.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just looked at several other similar cars.
It is just a blank panel with no functionality what so ever on an S or V90.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL 😂 But it's a cover, how can a cover do nothing? A cover has a function to cover something. How about the cover is covering a hole. So now it "does" have a function - to cover a hole. LOL. Sorry - I just wet myself.
Get ready to laugh again because it’s exactly that! A damn cover over a hole that has a random led in the background. So it’s a backlit worthless hole!

·
Registered
13,479 Posts
It's the underline button - it totally has a purpose.

Reactions: Tech and vista88

·
Registered
549 Posts
Looks like my next light switch, for the external lights I'll put.

Reactions: DMikey

·
Registered
109 Posts
On XC40, it’s where the drive mode select button is located

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its a symmetry button it makes the panel symmetrical and the cover says don't take it out because google it's planning something for it.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Looks like my next light switch, for the external lights I'll put.
My guess is the parts for the glove box switch in a SPA xc90 can fit perfectly there, and then repurposed for functions like what you contemplate here.

Conversely, the glove box part for SPA non xc90 might work for an xc90, freeing up that button for something else (like auxiliary light switch)...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts