SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-Headl...ies&hash=item1c2844d7f7&vxp=mtr#ht_1581wt_891

Just wondering if anyone has installed them and has decent pics of them installed on an R? Are these pretty straightforward to install? They're a fraction of the E-code price, and they'd let me get actual hi beams and black bezels without taking the glass out.

I'm still not dead set on these as they do look radically different than the R headlights.

Also, I think you need a resistor on the LED's for the car to be happy, otherwise you get a bulb out msg.

Here's the EST version, which looks identical.

http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/m...duct_Code=VLA-160-401&Category_Code=VL-S60-ex

Thanks to any and all who can help out! Headlights are pretty far down the mod list, but I like knowing stuff in advance :D

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-Headl...ies&hash=item1c2844d7f7&vxp=mtr#ht_1581wt_891

Just wondering if anyone has installed them and has decent pics of them installed on an R? Are these pretty straightforward to install? They're a fraction of the E-code price, and they'd let me get actual hi beams and black bezels without taking the glass out.

I'm still not dead set on these as they do look radically different than the R headlights.

Also, I think you need a resistor on the LED's for the car to be happy, otherwise you get a bulb out msg.

Here's the EST version, which looks identical.

http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/m...duct_Code=VLA-160-401&Category_Code=VL-S60-ex

Thanks to any and all who can help out! Headlights are pretty far down the mod list, but I like knowing stuff in advance :D
Who cares if they're the same? As you can probably tell, the beam pattern is so f*cked on them you should never consider buying them. Not to mention they look ricey.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
please dont, they look bad IMO
Only cause they're not very Volvo-esque, I think. It's like they're trying to be Audi headlights. Are there really any other good options for our cars though? Ok, ones that DON'T cost a zillion dollars?? ABM made some decent ones for 850s and 70s, but I can't seem to find anything like them for ours...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who cares if they're the same? As you can probably tell, the beam pattern is so f*cked on them you should never consider buying them. Not to mention they look ricey.
That's probably cause some guy installed them and never aligned them before taking pics ;) I'm sure there are folks whose stock headlights pattern like that :D

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,416 Posts
Only cause they're not very Volvo-esque, I think. It's like they're trying to be Audi headlights. Are there really any other good options for our cars though? Ok, ones that DON'T cost a zillion dollars?? ABM made some decent ones for 850s and 70s, but I can't seem to find anything like them for ours...
I really dont see what is so wrong with our headlights even though mine are complete **** right now. *When they were aimed properly* I was seeing every road great without complaint.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sigh...I might just have to rip my headlights apart, take out the amber, and paint them matte black. Lot more work than I want to do but it's cheaper for sure.

Are our headlights 35 or 55 watt?? [Sorry for silly questions...]

I'm definitely going to do HID fogs when I get time to do so...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really dont see what is so wrong with our headlights even though mine are complete **** right now. *When they were aimed properly* I was seeing every road great without complaint.
There's nothing "wrong" with them...I'm just seeing what's available and if I like any of the options.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Sigh...I might just have to rip my headlights apart, take out the amber, and paint them matte black. Lot more work than I want to do but it's cheaper for sure.

Are our headlights 35 or 55 watt?? [Sorry for silly questions...]

I'm definitely going to do HID fogs when I get time to do so...
35 watt. 55watt xenons are illegal

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
35 watt. 55watt xenons are illegal
bummer...too bright??

How come DDM sells them and folks put them in their fogs? Is it a state by state deal??

·
Registered
785 Posts
How do they sell them? Probably in fine print somewhere "for off road use only" is stated. You probably see cars everyday (or maybe I should say night) with "illegal" mods/lighting being driven on road. The US govt. usually winks (creates a loophole) when there are taxes to be collected and corporate profits to be made.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do they sell them? Probably in fine print somewhere "for off road use only" is stated. You probably see cars everyday (or maybe I should say night) with "illegal" mods/lighting being driven on road. The US govt. usually winks (creates a loophole) when there are taxes to be collected and corporate profits to be made.
True, and many states may allow them but certain localities do not, etc etc. Going to 55w would be an easy way to boost headlight reach :D

·
Registered
785 Posts
BTW as a person that is 38 years old I don't understand the constant want/drool for led festoonery that often serves little function and is being rapidly grafted on to new Lexus and used euros for styling purposes. The overall styling is
what gives a car its look in my opinion, I could care less about whether the car has LED running lights. Why would you want to spend $400 and lose your factory HID setup?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would actually rather it not had the LEDs on the headlights. Too Audi-ish, imo. If I wanted that look I would have gone the Audi route. Those are simply the only "option" other than stock and Ecodes. I've got wheels and a FMIC that I need to do before I headlight swap anyways :D

Like I said, I don't dislike my factory lights, and with the vinyl "eyebrows" I have on there, they don't look bad at all to me.

You can kind of see them at the top. Really gives the headlights a nice aggressive look.

I was just exploring my limited options to see if I liked what was out there. Still looking for photos of the installed product that aren't from the EST website :) I kind of think the black ones could look good if you dipped the R in matte white and left the roof black...but that's crazy dreaming and time/money I don't have right now.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
There's an older thread with photoshops of these headlights on my car, and as well pictures of installed lights on regular S60s. Use the search, or simple google search it using the search method stickies at the top of this forum.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Isn't that in your job description anyways??? ;) Thanks, Dev!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes, those are the same poor quality and crappy headlamps. EST buys them from the Ebay reseller and marks them up ;)

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Yes, those are the same poor quality and crappy headlamps. EST buys them from the Ebay reseller and marks them up ;)
Aside from the look, I beg to differ. These headlights are still superior to our crappy R headlights with leveling motors. At least it has a projector with proper cut off lines which disperses light far better than our factory ones, it also has a proper high beam. The only thing I complain about is the paint quality as they should have used something that could withstand higher temperatures (light reflected from the projector lens is like a magnifying glass). They also use high quality glass lenses and fit with the factory bolt locations. For an aftermarket product, it's decent.

The only major gripes is that this product was not designed for the R(or any S60/V70/XC70 with Xenons for that matter) and it would cause errors.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
And for the record, EST was selling them way before the Ebay listings started showing up. They are from the same manufacturer, but I doubt that Ebay would be Frank's source.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts