SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting both the silver cross bars and the side running boards fairly soon for our XC. I do plan on ordering both online to save some dough from dealer, but I am wondering if anyone has installed either of these accessories themselves and how hard they are to install? I assume the cross bars simply snap into place with no tools required, and I can't imagine the running boards are all that difficult either....so long as the holes are pre-drilled. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: Anyone install running boards/roof cross bars themselves? (k24atuner)

Crossbars are simple. There's a screw at each end of each crossbar that clamps it firmly on to the existing rails. I take my crossbars on and off at least once, and sometimes two or more times each winter. Mine were acquired with the previous vehicle about 5 years ago, so it's possible that the mounting system and included tools may have changed slightly since then. Mine came with a torx screwdriver with a clever built in torque indicator to show when the screws are sufficiently tightened.<p>I did not install running boards myself, but it was a relatively quick dealer install (if I recall correctly, under a hour including time for them to drive car in and put it on lift, and then take it back outside afterward). I would be surprised if the attachment points did not already exist on your vehicle, drilled and perhaps tapped to accept included fasteners. <p>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sol is still correct about the cross bars, super easy. The running boards are pretty easy as well but you will need another person to help you hold them up while installing the bolts. Otherwise they are cake, i take mine off every summer since i only use them to get into my snowboard box i put on in the winter.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: (Morgan-tec)

Having the running boards makes installing and removing the cross members much easier. You should find that one of the crossbars is shorter than the other. I can't remember which one goes forward and which one goes aft (short and long crossbar) but a quick look at the roof rails will make it obvious. I think it's the shorter one that goes in back, if I'm not mistaken.<p>As Morgan-tec says, you'll be especially grateful for the running boards when you are loading and unloading whatever accessories or devices you choose to attach to the crossbars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts