SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever seen 'green'? Anyone come across a TNN or something describing a color change? I thought Volvo coolant was blue, period.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Anyone ever seen 'green'? Anyone come across a TNN or something describing a color change? I thought Volvo coolant was blue, period.
i havent heard of this. im staying true to blue

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
I got some from the dealer last fall and it was still blue...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Same here, blue. Although my factory coolant was yellow. So I suppose if you didn't flush all the yellow stuff out, add the blue, you'll see green.
yellow? i got my car with 7 miles on it and it was blue.... i dont think iv ever seen yellow coolent in my life. orange yes, green yes, blue yes, pink yes, yellow...... no

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
hmm interesting. ill take your word its yellow, because it looks green to me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same here, blue. Although my factory coolant was yellow. So I suppose if you didn't flush all the yellow stuff out, add the blue, you'll see green.
Mine was blue from new. Bought a jug for topping-off a couple of years ago, it was blue. Dealer just did my flush and it's green....:mad:

Apparently there's some kind of advisory (TNN or similar) telling dealers about the color :confused:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Volvo changed the Color awhile back it's pretty much the same , the newer blue is Cool . I always get the Pre-Mix now , as they add the correct Water Mix .
Just so I'm absolutely clear, it used to be green a long time ago, but now it's blue?

Roughly how long ago did the color change occur?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know I pulled a nice deep "green apple" green from mine last summer. The expansion tank was spider cracked and FILTHY. The replacement was a blue rasberry blue but they both looked delicious. The OEM should be blue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bulletin is 26-09. 3/2007.
coolant color changed from green to blue.
Thanks, I'll try and locate it, but sounds like my dealer either had a huge stock of green (which has now been sitting for 5 years) or I didn't get genuine stuff. Either way, I'm getting it changed to blue.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yup my Volvo coolant is Green Apple Green. Had it done at the dealer 4-5 years ago and thats what they gave me...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup my Volvo coolant is Green Apple Green. Had it done at the dealer 4-5 years ago and thats what they gave me...
Haven't found the wording in the TNN as yet, but after some searching of the web found a discussion that says the switch from green to blue was because the blue was a better coolant for turbo engines when driven hard (and just as good for non-turbo). Absolutely getting the blue next week.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Worked at the dealer from 07-011 and was no change in color and still hasn't far as I know. Volvo coolant should be a dark bluish green, that light green stuff posted above looks generic. Most generic coolant is that piss color green meaning they likely put the cheap stuff in a used car. The gross colored rust stuff some people find in their reservoir is due to a coolant flush needing to be done, seen it many times.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Well going to buy some Blue stuff today and get rid of that green Blue looks nicer anyway

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haven't found the wording in the TNN as yet, but after some searching of the web found a discussion that says the switch from green to blue was because the blue was a better coolant for turbo engines when driven hard (and just as good for non-turbo). Absolutely getting the blue next week.
Went back to get the blue. Looked at the color this morning and it's still on the green side, not to mention that it's way above MAX. Should have done the coolant change myself, then I'd know for sure what's in the engine. Lesson learned.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts