SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I had a leak at the rear main seal, but Volvo indie shop says oil leak is at the valve cover gaskets. Quoted 1700 parts and labor. They said that includes some other things like tensioner and idler pulley while it's open.

That seems mighty high to me.

I checked repairpal.com and the valve gasket job was about $650.

Is this price way out of line?

2007 v8 with 140,000 miles

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Ouch. Maybe they don't want to do it? You should get an itemized list of what's being replaced and the labor involved, and get a quote from the volvo dealer and maybe another shop if there's one in your area. I go to the same volvo guy, but once in a blue moon I'll get a quote from another volvo shop and they'll come in a few hundred cheaper so my guy will split the difference with me. I don't think it's rude to ask for a fair price.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The tensioner alone is at least a $250 part, so keep that in mind if they're going to replace it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why do you have to replace the ccm..??check this forum,somebody posted that you can replace the bearings for the pulleys at a fraction of the cost....
Because it's broken. Not related to the oil leak. I was just complaining about having to replace 2 expensive things.

I did order a ccm from eBay, so fingers crossed on that.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
That sounds like the most expensive valve cover gasket job in the history of the world. Unless they're pouring out oil, I'd live with it -- at least for a bit. Mine are starting to seep a little on my XC90 but I have no plans of changing them. They are still dry on my S80.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ryan,

There have been a few other posts on here about the PS pump leaking and it being mistaken for an RMS or valve cover leak. I was getting a few small drips on the garage floor from my V8 (near the RMS area), so I paid attention to these. I replaced my PS fluid (siphoning out of the reservoir and pour in new fluid 2 or 3 times as a poor man's flush) and simultaneously added a small amount of Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak. I'm prepared to get flamed for using the Stop Leak, but I haven't had any drops on the garage floor in 2 months.

I should also point out that I have been running Castrol Synthetic Blend High Mileage oil (5w-30) for my last two oil changes (5000 miles each), so it's possible that the high mileage additives in there could have slowed an oil leak too.

My XC90 current is currently approaching 120k miles.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
On my audi, it used mineral oil for the power steering too and everything was leaking.. The rack seals, pressure lines, pump itself... So I dumped all the fluid and flushed it with Mobil one atf and filled it with atf and 7 years later it was still fine. And then I sold it, and it's still driving around fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an '06 XC90 VOR V8 that had a Power Steering leak too. I initially smelled burning oil and could tell it was at the back of the engine looking under the car and seeing where the drops hit my driveway. I too thought it was the rear seal or rear valve cover gasket initially. Took to Indie shop where they diagnosed it as a rear valve cover gasket and gave me a quote of $650.

I decided not to do the work immediately. A few days later, I took it to my transmission shop to have them do the 10,000 mile warranty checkup from a rebuild and they said, "Hey, you got a power steering pump leak running down the back of your engine hitting your exhaust."

I decided I'd change that myself in a few weeks, but decided to get some power steering fluid with stop leak in it to maybe hold me over. Problem went away in 24 hours. That was 6 months ago. I haven't even bothered to change the power steering pump, yet. But it is starting to get pretty whiny at startup. It's definitely due.

I wonder how often the power steering fluid leaks at the rear of the engine get diagnosed as rear seal or rear valve cover leaks?

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have an '06 XC90 VOR V8 that had a Power Steering leak too. I initially smelled burning oil and could tell it was at the back of the engine looking under the car and seeing where the drops hit my driveway. I too thought it was the rear seal or rear valve cover gasket initially. Took to Indie shop where they diagnosed it as a rear valve cover gasket and gave me a quote of $650.

I decided not to do the work immediately. A few days later, I took it to my transmission shop to have them do the 10,000 mile warranty checkup from a rebuild and they said, "Hey, you got a power steering pump leak running down the back of your engine hitting your exhaust."

I decided I'd change that myself in a few weeks, but decided to get some power steering fluid with stop leak in it to maybe hold me over. Problem went away in 24 hours. That was 6 months ago. I haven't even bothered to change the power steering pump, yet. But it is starting to get pretty whiny at startup. It's definitely due.

I wonder how often the power steering fluid leaks at the rear of the engine get diagnosed as rear seal or rear valve cover leaks?

What stop leak product?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
That stop leak stuff is just really thick fluid that can ruin your rack. If you plan on fixing it, you should just fix the leak instead of potentially doing a lot more damage. If you plan on getting rid of it and don't care about the outcome then go for it. My rack was leaking on my audi when I replaced the oil with atf so I had nothing to lose but if this is just a pump or a line, it's totally not worth the risk.

And as with most fluids, if it's good enough got a gm it's probably not good enough for a Volvo. That's basically even thicker fluid than atf. You'll most likely end up with growning and whining in the cold weather if you're in a northern area because the fluid won't be able to travel fast enough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I won't argue the merits of power steering stop leak in long term usage. It very likely is not good for your power steering system over all. And I am not a qualified mechanic or system engineer.

However, the product I used is certainly not thick and was approximately the same viscosity as the other power steering fluids without stop leak.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.