SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found earlier threads for 2018 and earlier models with a similar accessory, but not much feedback on the version for SPA cars like our 2019 S60. Found the right accessory here, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with it. Dealer (in Maryland, USA) is quoting me $120. (FWIW: he also quoted me $170 for the sunshade; definitely getting the Covercraft premium (UV11624GS) for $83 instead!)

--Paul.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I do have it. I ordered from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YRI22KC it came in, OEM Volvo box with the right matching part number.

It is simple to install, but a little bit tricky for such a simple thing. There are these tabs that splay out and hold the grab handle tight to the headliner, so after you remove the bolts you have to be a little bit forceful to pull the handle out, which is not a great feeling in your brand new car, but I got through it. The sunglass holder has the same tabs, you need to make sure they splay out when you install it so they grab the headliner and pull tight to it. Putting the bolts back in will bring it all back together.

I had found out about these sunglass holders way back when I had a Subaru, I actually bought one and hacked it up to fit my WRX in place of the grab handle. Such a great idea, and I never had a need for the driver's grab handle anyways. Would've done the same to my Lexus but those bastards don't install a grab handle at the driver's seat!

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Kind of weird after two years of SPA 60 series cars, Volvo still don't want to add sunglasses storage. But well maybe they have similar climate like me, don't use sunglasses that much.

I'd store sunglasses in the side net on center console, if my passenger doesn't mind. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have it. I ordered from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YRI22KC it came in, OEM Volvo box with the right matching part number.

It is simple to install, but a little bit tricky for such a simple thing. There are these tabs that splay out and hold the grab handle tight to the headliner, so after you remove the bolts you have to be a little bit forceful to pull the handle out, which is not a great feeling in your brand new car, but I got through it. The sunglass holder has the same tabs, you need to make sure they splay out when you install it so they grab the headliner and pull tight to it. Putting the bolts back in will bring it all back together.

I had found out about these sunglass holders way back when I had a Subaru, I actually bought one and hacked it up to fit my WRX in place of the grab handle. Such a great idea, and I never had a need for the driver's grab handle anyways. Would've done the same to my Lexus but those bastards don't install a grab handle at the driver's seat!
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback and Amazon link. I have the blonde interior...so I’ll start looking for that version. Glad to hear the OEM part is available that way.

—Paul.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kind of weird after two years of SPA 60 series cars, Volvo still don't want to add sunglasses storage. But well maybe they have similar climate like me, don't use sunglasses that much.

I'd store sunglasses in the side net on center console, if my passenger doesn't mind. :)
Completely agree. When I was at the dealership picking up my T6, I ‘complained’ that there wasn’t a sunglasses holder. Sales manager said: “sure there is; left-knee, driver’s side hidden, lined cubby.”

Being a SWEDESPEED reader, I already knew not all SPA cars have that, including our S60. He was stunned when I took him over to show him what I already knew. Neither one of us could figure out which model/trim had it or not, or why.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

How deep is in, will it handle deep sunglasses, IE: those that dont fold flat? (Like Maui Jims)

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
839 Posts
How deep is in, will it handle deep sunglasses, IE: those that dont fold flat? (Like Maui Jims)
It is highly dependent on the glasses and the orientation you put them in so you'll just likely have to get it and see! The way the grab handle location is in this car it pulls up tight to the headliner almost vertical with plenty of clearance even if the holder can't close all the way on the glasses. Now how much stress do you want to put on them, it seems fine if the glasses don't interfere with the hinge the closing spring is not that strong to damage them. But if they are wide and get caught up on the hinge attachment the extra leverage seems like it could stress them.

My Smith Founders are a traditional type, I put them lens down in the holder (its lined with felt) and they fit tight up to the headliner perfectly. I have another set of Serengeti, they fit fine lenses to the side, facing away from the hinge.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I bought the glass hoder for my 2017 S60 and moved it last week to a 2019 R-Designwhen when I used the Lease Pull Ahead program . My Maui Jims fit, but it may depend on which model Maui Jims you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts