SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to buy a T8 this year. I had one on order but I let it go...now I'm back in the market but I'm looking for delivery before the end of the year. Anyone selling or having cold feet? (USA)

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
:cool: No regrets and not a chance. Good luck though....!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dealer was not committing to anything and I got nervous with my T8 deposit. So I bought at XC60 instead. Now that November is here, I can get dealers to commit to CarPlay and the Nov. update.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm looking to buy a T8 this year. I had one on order but I let it go...now I'm back in the market but I'm looking for delivery before the end of the year. Anyone selling or having cold feet? (USA)
At my dealership we have 2 R-design T8's that should come in by the end of December and 3 Inscriptions coming in Start of Jan... showing 1/1/16... though really people will not be working that day.
As long as you are not picky about color.. and willing to come to NJ. Cars are well loaded.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I pick mine up in April. I don't have cold feet at all. I'm just hoping it's worth the premium over the T6.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My T8 will be loaded on the boat hopefully this weekend ...

As for ordering one and expecting by end of year delivery: you'd probably have to rely on a dealer that has one to your liking ordered for stock. I think the demand for the T8 exceeded Volvo's expectations ... which is a good thing.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Still no info on T8 fuel consumption rating from EPA?

·
Registered
26 Posts

As for ordering one and expecting by end of year delivery: you'd probably have to rely on a dealer that has one to your liking ordered for stock. I think the demand for the T8 exceeded Volvo's expectations ... which is a good thing.
Do you mind sharing your ETA? I'm in Chicago, port ETA 12/15, dealer ETA 12/25. But haven't yet received a VIN, though with those dates I'd expect ours would also be loaded onto a boat sometime soon!

·
Registered
602 Posts

There is a larger demand in Europe then in the USA on it. Especially with the tax incentive difference.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't know what the difference in price is in other markets, but in the USA it takes $16k to go from the T6 inscription to the T8 inscription. If you purchase that upgrade and do not purchase a gallon of gas, it will be 80K-90K miles before the investment pays off in gasoline terms. Now - to be fair - AFTER 90,000 miles, the advantages pile up pretty quickly for the T8. At something about 1/2-way between current gas and last year's premium gas prices in my area, $16k is about 4,500 gallons of gas. So the gas cost cutover <ignoring electricity> comes to just under 140,000 miles. There are clearly a lot of folks who fit this pattern - just not my family. We tend to trade my wife's car every 7-8 years or so, which is at just over 90,000 miles. And all of this is (incorrectly) assuming that MPGe is anything close to a realistic estimate of MPG.

As for tax incentives - again - in the USA - the vast majority of folks who can afford this car (even the T8 trims besides the Inscription) are not eligible for any tax incentives, even when offered. They show up on one part of the tax form and then get erased toward the end of all the calculations when caps based on family income are applied. The tax incentives generally are beneficial for mass-market hybrids, PHEVs and electrics - but forget most luxury cars.

We wanted a T8. We wanted the satisfaction of knowing that we had reduced our family automotive emissions (there's that internal signaling thing...). We wanted the convenience of bypassing the gas station. I would have liked to have the incremental increase in power and the shift of center of gravity down just a bit. Marginal benefits, but still benefits. We were willing to pay a reasonable premium for those things. The T8 would have been nearly-perfect for my wife's situation. We either take long (500mi-1500mi) road trips in her car with the family and luggage (and often the dog), or she is making occasional trips in relatively close proximity during the week. Her local driving would have used next-to-no gas with the T8 - even at 17 miles electric, much less 25. But my jaw hit the floor when I saw the premium we would have to pay for the T8. I did a bit of arithmetic, my wife and I laughed out loud at the results, and the idea died right then and there. A shame, really.

That said - am very much looking forward to the T6 - and I think a lot of folks would benefit more from the T8 than we would - if they can afford the initial outlay.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My calculation is a bit different. In stock T6 Inscriptions are running $67K right now, whereas I can order a modestly equipped T8 for $75K. I will be able to take advantage of the $5K tax credit since I itemize my return (as most homeowners do). Also I am committed to electric since I loved having a Nissan LEAF and it is hard to go back to a pure ICE once you experience an EV. Finally, I believe the T8 will hold it's value more than the T6 as I'm confident the demand for these vehicles will outpace supply for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
496 Posts
In Europe it's country dependent. In our country, the T6 is even not offered by Volvo because it would be more expensive compared to the T8.

Due to a very complex tax system, I'll save about € 40K by driving 5 years in this fantastic car. That's why Volvo sold 2.500 T8's in a few month. While this governmental stimulation program ends this year, Volvo has to deliver them ultimo december 31st.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My calculation is a bit different. In stock T6 Inscriptions are running $67K right now, whereas I can order a modestly equipped T8 for $75K. I will be able to take advantage of the $5K tax credit since I itemize my return (as most homeowners due). Also I am committed to electric since I loved having a Nissan LEAF and it is hard to go back to a pure ICE once you experience an EV. Finally, I believe the T8 will hold it's value more than the T6 as I'm confident the demand for these vehicles will outpace supply for the foreseeable future.
Well sure - if you custom order one to save money but then compare to NOT doing the same for the other, that could potentially trim a lot of the difference. But for most of us, apples-to-apples is really the only way to look at it financially.

Itemizing has nothing to do with this. I itemize too, and every attempt to apply numerous credits for home energy or vehicle energy improvements has resulted in effectively-zero - and this car is a stretch for us. CAPS on energy credits as a function of AGI remove the "credit" for many buyers in this segment. Not all, for sure - but you need to be aware of the caps and whether the credit will ACTUALLY get applied in the end. Just because you can enter the number in one spot on a Sched. A does not necessarily mean that you actually see any benefit from that money in the end - and even if you do it may not be the full benefit.

Again - I am not saying that the T8 is wrong for everyone - but we should all be going into it with our eyes wide open. $16k from T6 (at any trim) to similarly-appointed T8 is a lot. If you are keeping the car for a long time, or you are CERTAIN that you are actually going to derive financial benefit from tax credits, or you just like how driving a phev makes you feel about yourself, then the T8 is probably for you. If self-signaling is not a big deal for you, you are pretty sure you WON'T see much tax benefit, or you don't intend to drive the car that far, then it probably is not the best decision.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not an accountant but I play one on the internet. There is no upper limit on AGI for the tax credit. But you have to have a tax liability to begin with - you can't earn the credit if you don't owe the tax. So there is a lower income limit which is dependent on many factors.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Actually in Canada (Ontario) the difference between T6 Inscription ($66,800 MSRP) & T8 Inscription ($75,000 MSRP) is only $8,200 :) Plus we are supposed to get around $6,346 PHEV rebate! So it's a no brainer :partywave:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am not an accountant but I play one on the internet. There is no upper limit on AGI for the tax credit. But you have to have a tax liability to begin with - you can't earn the credit if you don't owe the tax. So there is a lower income limit which is dependent on many factors.
Went and had a look and - you're right. It is the first clean energy/efficient energy credit/deduction I have seen in the US that would actually work for me. $4585 this year. Certainly helps the calculation. An $11,500 premium is still a bit high for my situation - but I bet it works well for a lot more folks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts