SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys.

Recently I installed the HEICO exhaust catback earned from SR of my friend.
(I did catback only because I already installed IPD downpipe.)
Mine's S60R(MY07).

Anyway.
I found that it sounds like jet plane flies over around 4,000 RPM.
(Someone said it sounds like the wheel spinning. but it's from exhaust.)
Someone told me it was fantastic and the others told me it's weird.:confused:

I don't know if it sounds correctly or not.:eek:
Apparently there's no friction or leak on this exhaust.

My friend told me that it's designed to make that sound at a high RPM.

So, anyone has the sound file of HEICO exhaust?

Plz help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
It's like a high pitched squeal? It's from poor quality craftsmanship :) (I can't really think of why someone would intentionally make it sound that way) It's my understanding that it's basically that the makers got lazy, and ended up having spots that create turbulence, which creates the whistle noise. It's not -supposed- to sound like that.. A few local guys here have "cheap" exhausts which all make that noise. High quality stuff from IPD or Elevate don't have that noise because it's high-precision, high quality exhaust.

Think of these. When you blow hard enough (WOT produces ALOT more air) it creates a whistle noise from the turbulence created by the ridges... So if there's poor fitment between weld spots, it would theoretically do the same thing.

It's not that it sounds bad, it's definitely interesting.... I personally would rather just hear the sound of the engine, not whistling.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have Heico exhaust and it does not have any high pitched noise nor any whistling. When I get home this weekend, I will record a video of it. GoPro should be able to record the sound pretty good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Heico exhaust and it does not have any high pitched noise nor any whistling. When I get home this weekend, I will record a video of it. GoPro should be able to record the sound pretty good.
Sure thanks.
I'm gonna do it too.
Can you do that while you're actually driving?

I'm afraid mine has some problem.. geeeee....

·
Registered
857 Posts
Sounds like my setup: IPD DP, custom Heico exhaust- I've been meaning to get a video of it so I'll do that today and upload it. Mine doesn't sound anything like that Peugeot-

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Sounds like my setup: IPD DP, custom Heico exhaust- I've been meaning to get a video of it so I'll do that today and upload it. Mine doesn't sound anything like that Peugeot-
You also said that you were going to video seafoaming your car like 4 months ago, have you done that yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
857 Posts
You also said that you were going to video seafoaming your car like 4 months ago, have you done that yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha oh yeah thats long done. I actually filmed part of it, but it just wasn't showing anything of value so I 86'd the whole deal.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I had a Heico catback on my SR which did the same thing, high pitched noise on WOT. The solution was to get rid of the dual tip and go with one of their single tips. The dual tip created turbulance because of the "y" I liked the single oval tip anyway cause it looked better in my sport kit exhaust cut out :)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I had a Heico catback on my SR which did the same thing, high pitched noise on WOT. The solution was to get rid of the dual tip and go with one of their single tips. The dual tip created turbulance because of the "y" I liked the single oval tip anyway cause it looked better in my sport kit exhaust cut out :)
You know, I was thinking this myself... but is it just certain Y's? or is it even the stock one? If so, it's a pretty ****ing loud ass squeal, wouldn't we hear it (with stock muff) if the stock one did that?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Well that was the solution. I think it really has to do with the tip in combo with the length of thepipe the tip is fastened to. Apparently Heico told me that they've heard of this happening with their vr setup which is longer than the sr. In other words if the length of travel for the exhaust is modified this probably has an effect on turbulence coupled with the y pipe issue on the dual tip.

http://cutby.caschy.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts