SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

Getting tired of stuffing two bikes inside, and since I only want to consider a roof rack, I was wondering if anyone has any particular advice regarding one brand or another. I did a bit of research and the Swagman at about $50 per bike sounds pretty interesting. Not looking for anything fancy, I'd prefer something I can remove when not in use so it won't tempt anyone, but of course reliable to make sure I don't drop bikes on the freeway.

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi, I'm using a Thule 599XTR bike carrier with the Volvo crossmembers:

The Thule is not cheap, I've seen them from $160 -180, but it's really sturdy and safe. At least it feels like that.
Since the crossmembers are arched I had to make some shims to level it out. Also the hardware that came with
the Thule didn't fit on the outer side so I ended up using SS threaded rod with SS nuts and washers.

I like the Volvo crossmembers because they are easy to install and take off, plus they look better than some
of the aftermarket stuff imo.

·
Registered
560 Posts

I use a set of Yakima Rail Grabbers. The bases clamp onto the XC roof rails and the round cross bars go through them. They are super easy to remove when I am not hauling bikes or boats with just an Allen wrench.

Any Yakima bike tray you can get your hands on will fit on the round profile tubes. They are plentiful on Craigslist around 50 bucks per bike tray. The rack stuff can be confusing but Yakima's site does a decent job of showing what you need on your car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the reply, looks great. So, yours is for one bike, correct ? Also, do you have to remove the front wheel ?
I do not have to remove the front wheel, and yes, so far I have only one rack on the car. Maybe someday I will get a second one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.