SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...don't have 7 Pro or XP SP3. This link claims a way to run XP mode on your 7 Home, but I'm a bit over my head here.

Hasn't arrived yet, just trying to prepare...

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I read through it.. Actually seems like a good how to.. literally just follow the steps.. What is it that makes you feel you are over your head? Ill try to help as much as possible.. Just PM me since I forget to visit this section.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really appreciate the help.

I feel over my head because I have little sense for computer stuff--the smallest variation can stop me dead in my tracks. I've been searching aroundin this thread someone mentions 2012 versions (ad I bought from specified 2012A) should work if its not Win7 basic. Fingers crossed, I will just try installing first to see if it works. This thread specs a hack that should allow VIDA to install on Win7 Home should the windows version be an issue. There is some more info here and here as well. I'm checking around to see if I can 'borrow' a copy of Win7 Pro or XP SP3, but as of know the only thing I've dug up is XP SP2. For all I know 2012A will work on Win7 Home, I'll just have to see when it arrives (hopefully sooner than later--you don't realize how much you depend on ABS and DTSC until it doesn't work ;))

One things for sure, if/when this works for me I will detail the procedure here in the hope that it will help someone else, I imagine there are more folks out there w/o 7 Pro, Ultimate, or XP that want to run VIDA. It really seems like a cool tool.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Also, if I recall correctly.. .. Vida will work on a 32bit copy of windows 7 (but i may have read it once and could be wrong). I'm assuming you have the 64 bit? I actually have a really old laptop that I've dedicated to Vida that runs windows XP. But before that I was successful in running Vida through XP mode. So whichever route (xp or win 7 with xp mode) you decide to go with will be fine.

Even if you found an XP sp2, you can upgrade it to sp3 once its installed.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, 64 bit. I also have like a 13 yr. old laptop I completely forgot about, no idea what OS is on it nor the ram or drive space. I'll have to check whether it can hack it; if so since I use it for nothing else I think I'll wipe it clean, install XP SP2 (presuming its not too old to handle it) and dedicate it to VIDA. I actually can't wait to get home and check now...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heh, probably no dice on the old laptop. More than enough harddrive space, but only 60MB RAM. Time to call the museum...

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Heh, probably no dice on the old laptop. More than enough harddrive space, but only 60MB RAM. Time to call the museum...
lol.. yeah you are looking for atleast 1ghz and 1gb ram.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just purchased VIDA DICE today and should have it tonight sometime. I already uploaded "Virtual PC" but I was just tole that the version im getting 2011 i think should run on my laptop that has Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. So my fingers are crossed! I'll let you all know if it works or not.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After futsing with my work computer which is XP Pro SP3 much of the day with no success, I got it to install at home. I followed that tutorial on how to install XP mode on 7 home, installed IE8, Microsoft.net 2.0, SQL Express 2005, and MSXML6. With all that VIDA installed smoothly, I went back and ran the 2012A patch. I now have the icons on the virtual PC desktop and Vida All In One opens.

Also found out that apparently I only have 30 days with the virtual PC, don't know how to get around that, but will cross that bridge when I get to it...

Not out of the woods yet, still need to make sure the DICE unit works and communicates with the car, but that will be a job for tomorrow. Will update as I progress.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Glad to hear you figured things out (according to other thread). If you have an older computer with XP.. or know someone who does, just download the cd via torrents and use the serial from the old computer.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, if not for google I'd have never managed, had all kinds of weird small issues but was able to address them one by one until it worked. Would undoubtedly be far more straightforward on a machine with XP Pro SP3 on it, versus XP mode on 7, but just wanted to document that it can work on 7 in case someone searches. And if I got it going, anyone should be okay...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Did you install all the secondary software first? I'm attempting to get 2012A installed on various computers at arms length...after purchasing ram and trying different computers, no such luck.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did it on a virtual machine, so all supporting stuff was installed fresh first, like IE8, SQL Express 2005 v2.0, and MSXML6 all of which I got off of the microsoft download center. Info I ran across is that the software is very particular and doesn't like later versions of stuff, or even some unrelated software like antivirus stuff. I guess in that respect the virtual PC was good in that it was a clean slate, though XP mode is kind of clunky (had to mess with it so it would see the USB port for example).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts