SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few articles on the revamped Android Auto interface being rolled out (example HERE), but so far it hasn't arrived for me. I've gotten the updated app on my phone but apparently there's some sort of server-side switch that's not enabled for me yet.

I'm curious if anyone on here has gotten the new interface and how well it's working. Specifically, how's the touch response in the new UI? I often find myself having to tap on-screen buttons in Android Auto multiple times before it gets it right. Sometimes a "tap" is interpreted as a "swipe", etc.

Thanks,
-Brett.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've read a few articles on the revamped Android Auto interface being rolled out (example HERE), but so far it hasn't arrived for me. I've gotten the updated app on my phone but apparently there's some sort of server-side switch that's not enabled for me yet.

I'm curious if anyone on here has gotten the new interface and how well it's working. Specifically, how's the touch response in the new UI? I often find myself having to tap on-screen buttons in Android Auto multiple times before it gets it right. Sometimes a "tap" is interpreted as a "swipe", etc.

Thanks,
-Brett.
Not me, but the in car app will also need to update.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not me, but the in car app will also need to update.
I was under the impression that the UI was entirely dictated by the phone app and the car app was just to facilitate touch screen interaction, send steering wheel button clicks, etc. That's a shame if the car app needs updated also.

EDIT: I'm hoping that there's no update needed on the car side of things. THIS article claims there's not:
AndroidCentral said:
The great part of this Android Auto update is that it can simply be pushed via the Android app on your phone — it doesn't require any sort of update on your car's end. All that was required was unplugging and re-plugging my phone, and I had the new interface on my in-car screen. And having used it now, I'm glad that's the case — I wouldn't want to delay getting this new interface for a moment longer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This inspired me to check it out. Open up AA, Settings, and there is an option to allow the update.
Thanks for the tip! I assumed I had to wait for Google to flip the switch server side. I kinda forgot there was even a settings menu in the phone app!

I flipped the switch, plugged in, and got the new interface. I'll have to go for a drive at lunch and try it out.

Setting to change:

Result:

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I get pretty curmudgeony about interfaces getting changed on me after I've figured out how to use one. We will see. I did notice that the little icons seem easier to touch. The tiles they used before, as another poster above mentioned, usually didn't work well for me. Hitting the tile usually made it scroll instead and I'd then have to hit it a few times.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got it here too. I personally didn't find it any more responsive to touch than the prev version, if anything I actually found it less responsive, kept scrolling when I touched tiles instead of launching.

That said, I did find that the audio quality for Spotify improved.

No idea if actually true as only played with for an hour or so but those are my early returns so far.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Its a pitty that a full screen function as the Sensus Navigation bar isn't added, that would be nice.
Why don't they hide the phone bar if it just say "connected with Android Auto" and the audio bar to when your using AA for audio?
The Audio from spotify does seem to be higher indeed!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Its a pitty that a full screen function as the Sensus Navigation bar isn't added, that would be nice.
Why don't they hide the phone bar if it just say "connected with Android Auto" and the audio bar to when your using AA for audio?
The Audio from spotify does seem to be higher indeed!
I agree, it is a pitty that there's no full screen opion. The Navigation bar should hide as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spent some time using the new version yesterday and today and noticed a few things:
  • Taps vs swipes seem more accurate. Old version would frequently interpret a tap as a swipe, especially when trying to switch audio sources (from PocketCasts to Amazon Music, for example).
  • Dedicated Alert menu is a nice change.
  • I've had a few instances where I was listening to a podcast via Pocket Casts and Android Auto decided to switch to Amazon Music out of nowhere. Once, it seemed to coincide with me pushing the wiper stalk down to do a single swipe. Other time was when I tapped the brakes. Don't know if it was really related to those other actions, but it has happened twice in as many days.
  • I changed the option in the phone app to resume playback on connection and it works pretty well. When I first started the car, Sirius was playing. After Android Auto started back up and I tapped the section of the screen for Android Auto, it resumed playback where I had left off.

As for the wish for it to be full screen, that would be ideal. I would love it if they could hide the unused/irrelevant sections somehow when using Android Auto. But for now I think the new update is a good one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts