SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of my car curbed the crap out of the passenger side wheels and I can't help but think that part of the issue is how the wheel is actually just slightly wider than the OE 235-series tires. I'm wondering if anyone has fitted 245/40 R18 tires in place of the standard 2012 R-design's 235/40 R18 tires.

Based on my calcs the circumference difference is only 1.2% so it won't throw my speedometer off by any important amount and the slight increase in width seems like just enough for the tire to hit the curb before the wheel without being so much extra width as to cause rubbing. But that's all theory and I wanted to see if anyone has actual experience.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I run 245/40/19s, so I don't see why you couldn't run a 245 for an 18" tire.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a set of older 18" Mirzams on my V60 (they look *really* good on the V60 -- View attachment 50745 ). When I was researching them I read they have a reputation for being somewhat delicate, so I went with 245/40-18 wheels instead of the stock 235s just to give a little bit more sidewall cushion. No problems whatsoever in four years of use.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all so much for the confirmation that 245/40-18 will work without rubbing. This forum rocks. :)

Now I'll be able to rest a little easier when I either refurbish/replace the Ixions (as possible per wheel) or replace them with a set of BBS SRs. I know a lot of folks like to go up to 19s, but as a reasonably fun daily I just don't see the need for the larger brakes that would justify 19s and, for me, I prefer fender gap rather than big wheels with tiny brakes. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thank you all so much for the confirmation that 245/40-18 will work without rubbing. This forum rocks. :)

Now I'll be able to rest a little easier when I either refurbish/replace the Ixions (as possible per wheel) or replace them with a set of BBS SRs. I know a lot of folks like to go up to 19s, but as a reasonably fun daily I just don't see the need for the larger brakes that would justify 19s and, for me, I prefer fender gap rather than big wheels with tiny brakes. :)
Yep, I'm running Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus in 245/40/18 size and love them (stock 18" T6 rims). I will warn you however, the Pirellis are no wider than the stock 235...so no extra rim protection. I think Michelins would be wider in 245...

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got a set of Conti DSW 245/40 18s and I love them. Yes, they do give you a bit of curb rash protection.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?472697-245-40r18s

I also did a very crude DIY rim repair with some cheap touch up paint as mine were scuffed too.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...decent-cheap-rim-touch-up-paint&highlight=rim
Excellent feedback; thanks!

I wish my wheels were as lightly scuffed as yours were. While the driver's side wheels are recoverable I think, it's pretty clear that the previous owner of my car was not good at parallel parking and tended to find the curb by waiting for the grinding sound. But he was meticulous about engine/transmission maintenance and drove like a grandma so I decided the trade-off was worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts