SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was a a drive thru yesterday, got a txt and it popped up. I went to read it out by pressing the steering wheel controls, seemed like the system was frozen then the cluster went completely black! center screen was still on. Had to restart the car to get it to turn back on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yes, a handful of times. Sometimes it's the other around, the Sensus goes black but the instrument cluster stays on. No side effects so far after reboot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I went into the dealer for this -- only happened twice. There is new communications software that is meant to address it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have had this a few times
it usually take a few seconds and it reboots

not a big deal as it does not effect driving

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ditto. Happened once, ~900mi on the odometer, or 3 weeks into ownership. Hasn't happened since and the vehicle has been used pretty much every day.

·
Registered
329 Posts
On a 15 minute drive this evening I turned on the heat and Sensus restarted / rebooted. Luckily I noticed presets, favorites, settings, etc. were still in tact.

3 minutes later I turned on the heat again and the same happened.

10 minutes later we arrived home. I went back to the vehicle and turned on the heat, once again, Sensus restarted.

Waited 2 minutes, turned the heat on again, Sensus restarted.

Waited another 2 minutes, turned the heat and 5 minutes later Sensus didn't restart. Matter of fact switching between Nav, Media, Apps, Climate seemed smoother than the last few attempts when Sensus was acting up.

Wouldn't you say it time to take the vehicle into the dealer? Is there any way I can see if the Nov 2015 update was applied?

Or perhaps it is a battery issue?

Pretty frustrating... :confused:

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Wouldn't you say it time to take the vehicle into the dealer? Is there any way I can see if the Nov 2015 update was applied?
The fact that you can repro the issue by all means this is worthy of a dealer visit. I'm not sure if there's much value in speculation of a battery issue - the dealer should be able to pull more diagnostic info from the vehicle than we can here discussing it. And if you can continue to repro it - if they can't figure it out, they should be able to engage Volvo engineers remotely. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
There is a Technical Journal about this issue. Please visit your local Service Depts and have them download the software patch.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Is the Technical Journal on this issue new and post Nov 2015 software upgrade?

I'm bringing the vehicle in tomorrow AM.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes - it just posted on the 16th. (TJ31295)

Interesting issue - it seems to be a buffer overflow on the XM station list. There is definitely a patch.

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks, Laird!

I also found this:

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.cfm?event=item.whatsnew.tj

IIANM, quite a few should apply to my vehicle.
Yes - I have a subscription to that sight so I can see the contents of these TJs. The one I called out is the one at the top of the list you sent (at the moment anyway). You have to be careful with these, as some of the document titles do not accurately reflect the symptoms that are intended to be addressed. In this case though, it is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Yes - I have a subscription to that sight so I can see the contents of these TJs. The one I called out is the one at the top of the list you sent (at the moment anyway). You have to be careful with these, as some of the document titles do not accurately reflect the symptoms that are intended to be addressed. In this case though, it is pretty accurate.
Anyone know a way to verify the patch was installed?

I had the same problem pop up last week and when I called both of the dealers nearby, the response from one was "that just stops happening eventually" and the other was "we've never seen that happen". Fortunately I found this thread, so I was able to call one of the dealers back and tell them about the technical journal (they were not aware of it). I brought the car in on Saturday and they said it would take 3-4 hours, then called me 2 hours later to tell me they were having trouble with their connection to download the journal and would have to keep the car until Monday. Monday I get a call about 20 minutes after they open saying the car is done and ready.

Maybe the 3-4 hour quote was just because they had a lot to do, but the problem does not seem to have been solved as it happened 3 times already this morning. Just wondering if I can make sure they actually installed the patch.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is a Technical Journal about this issue. Please visit your local Service Depts and have them download the software patch.
When was this patch released? I had went into the dealer the beginning of this month and they updated everything. My issue happened after they did the updating.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mid-Feb.

I'd scheduled an appointment with your dealer's service department and ask them to update the software including the latest Technical Journals that apply to your VIN.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Anyone know a way to verify the patch was installed?

I had the same problem pop up last week and when I called both of the dealers nearby, the response from one was "that just stops happening eventually"...
Ha, that's rich! Was this from a Sales or Service guy? SMH...

I am taking my car in so they can replace a trim piece that arrived damaged upon delivery of the car. This thread reminded me to ahve them install any applicable software patches as I do get a random black screen and reboot from time to time. The service advisor (who is supposedly a senior guy said) "If the screen is going blank most likely we will need to replace it". These guys are really shooting in the dark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ha, that's rich! Was this from a Sales or Service guy? SMH...

I am taking my car in so they can replace a trim piece that arrived damaged upon delivery of the car. This thread reminded me to ahve them install any applicable software patches as I do get a random black screen and reboot from time to time. The service advisor (who is supposedly a senior guy said) "If the screen is going blank most likely we will need to replace it". These guys are really shooting in the dark.

That was from the service advisor. I took it to the other dealer after that comment (it was a little closer anyway). I know 2 interactions are not enough to draw a conclusion about everyone at either dealership, but it is frustrating that 5 minutes of searching these forums was actually the only way I was going to know about the patch and be able to have it applied.

I didn't get my vehicle until mid-January and before picking it up the dealer said they were making sure all of the software was up to date. Does anyone know if there are other patches/updates out there that I need to make sure are installed to help fix this problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
That was from the service advisor. I took it to the other dealer after that comment (it was a little closer anyway). I know 2 interactions are not enough to draw a conclusion about everyone at either dealership, but it is frustrating that 5 minutes of searching these forums was actually the only way I was going to know about the patch and be able to have it applied.

I didn't get my vehicle until mid-January and before picking it up the dealer said they were making sure all of the software was up to date. Does anyone know if there are other patches/updates out there that I need to make sure are installed to help fix this problem?
FYI, after 3 more weeks I believe I've figured out the problem, but not the solution. I've been using a 256 gb flash drive with a large number of FLAC files on it. While the system initially plays the files just fine, it reboots after a few minutes and continues to do so. When I remove the USB drive, everything acts normal the next time I start the car. Leaving it out for an entire week resulted in 0 reboots. Putting it back in resulted in 3 reboots the next time I drove the car. Not sure if it's the drive itself or the Sensus use of the drive, going to get another one and try again.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It has happened to me probably half-a-dozen times.

Usually solves it self or is solved if I power down and back up the engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts