SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a T6 Polestar updated V60 in Australia. I have been having some issue with the driveline which Volvo Australia don't seem to have a definite solution for as yet.

Initially i noticed a whine coming from the front end under acceleration at 80km/hr. It seemed to be less noticeable when off throttle.

I mentioned it to the dealer who gave me the usual "seems normal to me" response initially. We let it go for about a month and it got worse, to the point where it was a very loud whine at 65km/hr.

Dealer and Volvo finally acknowledged that there was an issue. There was also the common air con compressor whine that some people have.

Volvo's solution was to replace the air con compressor first, even though the noise was still present with air con off and the noise would appear/dissapear depending on speed and throttle position.

Volvo did not have a loan car, so they hired a rental car. Just as well as my car was in repairs for over three weeks!!

The dealer, under Volvo's instructions replaced the rear diff and various components from the haldex system. (clutch packs etc).

When i got the car back, the noise was gone and the car felt great. Unfortunately now, after about 10 days and 1000km/s the noise has re-appeared at 80km/hr exactly as it did before under light load from the throttle. The car also doesn't fell right when reversing or making tight turns. It feels like its binding up. When i reverse into my garage at full lock, it feels like one of the wheels it skipping. Definately a diff problem of some sort.

I contacted the dealer last week who said they would contact Volvo to see what their response would be. I'm still waiting.

The symptoms now are exactly the same as the ones i had when the problem first presented itself. I discussed with volvo that the repairs fixed the noise but not necessarily the cause of the problem. This brings me to my next issue.

The transmission has very rough off throttle gear changes. Some changes feel like the car has been tapped by another car from behind. ie. In stop start traffic, i accelerate slowly to 40km/hr, come off throttle and the gear shifts up with a thud. Happens most of the time in stop/start traffic. Also sometimes when taking a sweeping bend and i come off throttle the transmission shifts and it slighly thows the car. (Feels like you hit a rut in the road and it shifted the car).

I argued with Volvo that the transmission is most likely causing the issue with the diff, but they wont accept that.

To be honest, as much as i love the drive, i am sorry i bought the brand. The V60 T6 was almost $70,000 AUD. Its not cheap. So far i have had numerous issues with electronics, nav, audio, gearbox, driveline and washer jets amongst other things.

Volvo have replaced computers, audio modules, hardware, software etc. I've owned the car for 12 months since new, and i can't recall one day where there has not been something broken on it. Volvo Australia are just an importer and don't seem to mind that i have had so many issues. As far as they are concerned all they are liable to do is continually repair the car.

I don't have time for this. I purchased with the intention to keep this car for at least 5 years ( i normally sell after 2 - 3 years). I got the 5 year 175,000km warranty with services included in the price. But all these issues are getting to be a little too much for a new car costing as much as it did.

Anyway has anyone else had any of these issues with transmission/driveline. Was your dealer able to fix it?

·
Registered
459 Posts
There have been very few major issues reported here. A/C plugs are under a recall for some cars, but that doesn't seem to be related to your issues. I recall at least one complaint about whine, and there have been some problems with abrupt shifts. Still, I don't think anyone has encountered so much trouble with one vehicle. In the States, this car would have already fallen under the Lemon Law and likely have been replaced. I don't know if you have anything comparable to that in Australia but, if not, it might be wise to seek legal counsel at this point regarding compensation.

Rather than go through endless and expensive component replacements, you'd think Volvo of Australia would have just offered to buy the car back. The Volvo brand actually has a good reliability record ... better, in fact, than most other European brands. You just managed, unfortunately, to get a really bad example of one.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think the problem is related to your car being BACKWARDS!
Just jiving you, but I have had no trouble with mine except after 44k miles I have a slight "clink" when I accelerate after a brake event around 35-40 mph. Also, around 38mph on a decelleration I hear a fluidish sound like a valve opening/closing in a hydraulic system. Very odd but no shudder or jerk associated with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
On my current '12 S60, the only tranny issues I've had were minor occasional jerky shifts and were pretty much resolved with a TCM update. The whine you're talking about could be normal. I don't know if it happens at the same 50 mph (or 80 km/h), but mine will give a slight whine if I lightly press the throttle to accelerate when I'm already going. I don't know if its the same sound that you're having, but mine will go away after the engine reaches higher RPMs or if I press on the throttle enough to make it downshift. Like I said, though, I don't know if this is the same issue you're having, so it could be a much more serious issue. Your other issues seem to be much more mechanical in nature by the way they sound. I don't think any software update will fix them. The problems in reverse and while turning remind me of the way a 4x4 truck feels when you have the front axel locked and you have power going to all four corners. When you turn the steering wheel all the way you get that feeling of resistance or slipping . That shouldn't happen with an AWD car since all the axels are always locked. Since the issue happens when you're turning the front wheels, maybe the issue is in the front diff and not the rear. The tranny could be an issue too. I think one member had a transmission replaced on his '12 S60, but I'm not sure. I'm not an expert on this stuff by any means, but maybe a TCM update could help some. It's definitely unlikely to do much since the transmission issues with shifting very rough sound mechanical too. My '01 S60 that I used to have had a clutch burn out in the transmission (it was an automatic, so it was much more of a problem than it might have originally sounded). While they weren't the exact same issues as you're having, there were some similarities in the way it shifted.

Sorry you're having these problems with the car. If the dealer doesn't seem to be doing enough, try contacting Volvo directly. The reps on the phone tend to do whatever they can to make things right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback.

In response to your comments......

I have contacted Volvo Australia who monitor the situation via the dealer. Volvo Aus rented me the loan car while mine was in for repairs. They don't offer much else in terms of a solution other than dictating what the dealer needs to do to fix the car.

I have even contacted Volvo Sweden who simply referred me back to Volvo Australia.

We don't have lemon laws here. We have a body called "Dept of Fair Trading", but they really have no power other than to send us to a tribunal who will order that Volvo fix the car no matter how long it takes.

In Australia, if you get a dud, you are pretty much stuck with it. The manufacturer could take the entire life of the car to fix it. The only option you have is to sue them yourself at high costs.

It would be cheaper to sell the car, take a small loss and get another brand. One thing for sure, if anyone asks about my thoughts on the Volvo brand i can guarantee they won't be buying one after hearing what i have to say about the brand in Australia.

I have friends with other european cars (Audi, Renault, Land Rover) and none have had any problems. Anyway, will see what transpires over the next few days....

Thinking of turning my car into a giant billboard with vinyl wrap covering of lemons and setting up a website. I'm so over the issues with this car and Volvo Australia....

·
Registered
301 Posts
i think i have the same issue with the whine/hum noise. mine starts around 40mph but only under load-off the gas the noise goes away. volvo said-normal sorry. nothing was replaced to try to change it. it does bother me,but the car seems to run/drive handle fine. beside the hum and the wind noise all is good however.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think i have the same issue with the whine/hum noise. mine starts around 40mph but only under load-off the gas the noise goes away. volvo said-normal sorry. nothing was replaced to try to change it. it does bother me,but the car seems to run/drive handle fine. beside the hum and the wind noise all is good however.
Its definatley not normal in mine. Volvo drove another V60 T6 and the noise was not present. If you have the same issue as mine, there is no doubt that it s fault. You can hear it over normal conversation and the radio while driving. Volvo would not have replaced the rear diff and other parts in my car if they did not agree that this was a problem.

I'm still waiting to get mine fixed yet again. Thats all i have been doing in my first year of ownership - waiting for one thing or another to be fixed on this car.

Our other car is a V8 toyota Landcruiser which now has 160,000km on it. (100,000 miles) and it has not had a part changed on it since new other than for regular maintenance. It absolutely puts Volvo to SHAME!!!!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Isn't that just turbo hum?

·
Registered
301 Posts
no, def. not from the turbo.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You may have read my earlier post where I had owned an S60R a little over a day. On the 2 hour drive home, I started hearing the hum over the radio on the smoothest roads. Same speeds as yours, prevalent from 45-60. So annoying that I took the car back the next day and told them to keep it. They did, after a bit of badgering from "the big sales manager" on the predicament it puts them in. True but product should equal a $50K price tag...although they let me have it for 42 and change. Awesome deal but did not want something that would drive me nuts.

Here's the kicker, they found me a nice T5 and believe it...the exact same hum but only at low speeds (20-30 mph) while under gradual power. This tells me trans. You have a 6 and mine a 5 but without being there I'd bet for sure it's the same hum in both cars...in fact, I know the hum in the R and the one in my T5 is the same.

For what it's worth.

·
Registered
301 Posts
mmmmmm. at least I'm not the only one,great- i guess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You may have read my earlier post where I had owned an S60R a little over a day. On the 2 hour drive home, I started hearing the hum over the radio on the smoothest roads. Same speeds as yours, prevalent from 45-60. So annoying that I took the car back the next day and told them to keep it. They did, after a bit of badgering from "the big sales manager" on the predicament it puts them in. True but product should equal a $50K price tag...although they let me have it for 42 and change. Awesome deal but did not want something that would drive me nuts.

Here's the kicker, they found me a nice T5 and believe it...the exact same hum but only at low speeds (20-30 mph) while under gradual power. This tells me trans. You have a 6 and mine a 5 but without being there I'd bet for sure it's the same hum in both cars...in fact, I know the hum in the R and the one in my T5 is the same.

For what it's worth.
Not sure what the case is around the world, but in Australia the T6 and the T5 have different transmissions. In any case, Other T6's don't have this issue and mine does. Took it back to the dealer today who went out on a drive with me. He confirms its not normal and he thinks its still the rear diff. Will wait to see what the outcome is.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Not sure what the case is around the world, but in Australia the T6 and the T5 have different transmissions. In any case, Other T6's don't have this issue and mine does. Took it back to the dealer today who went out on a drive with me. He confirms its not normal and he thinks its still the rear diff. Will wait to see what the outcome is.
Ok, did not know we had different trans, makes one think harmonics with the chassis. No idea.

The 60 I drove for about 300 miles had the same issue and we're located in the middle of the U.S.

Good luck with finding an answer, frustrating to pay so much for an auto that falls short. Hopefully it gets resolved and you can enjoy that power plant.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Has anyone tried to change a few degrees the Alignment of the Motor with respect to the Passenger side Motor Mount - loosen and bring forward or back 1/8 inch . ( TESTING )

Other Important Point - I don't see any Video Sound Proof of what Your Hearing , so so Far it's - BS !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone tried to change a few degrees the Alignment of the Motor with respect to the Passenger side Motor Mount - loosen and bring forward or back 1/8 inch . ( TESTING )

Other Important Point - I don't see any Video Sound Proof of what Your Hearing , so so Far it's - BS !
I'm not going to attempt to make any adjustments to the car. Its under warranty and Volvo Australia are dealing with it.

Haven't bothered to take a video as Volvo Australia now have the car again.

The first time i took it in for the whine, they disconnected the rear diff and the nosie dissapeared. They replaced the diff and other associated parts and the car was fine for a week (approx) and the noise returned.

This probably rules out the engine alignment. Unless the rear diff can be damaged by an misaligned engine..

My gut feeling is that the transmission is causing the problem. The harsh clunky occasional gear changes can't be good for the diff..

Still waiting to hear back from Volvo regarding their latest findings!!!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Posted by EngTech Other Important Point - I don't see any Video Sound Proof of what Your Hearing , so so Far it's - BS ![/QUOTE]

See your point but c'mon, give us a little credit...I may be a little crazy but do know my sounds. :D Super meticulous with my 3 autos and know each of their creaks, groans, rattles and chirps. Quick to address or seek out new arrivals that could mean trouble. Point is, I'm always listening. The brand new 60R that I owned had it so bad that the car was returned - without much of a fight from the dealer. I have always wanted a 60R but the hum was poison to the ears, more like a low pitched drone that cut right through the cabin. Knew I couldn't live with it, others might not care or even hear it. I did.

It's not coincidence that we're hearing the same hum and it's quite a low sound so don't know if one could capture it on a phone. The hum in the new T5 is the same noise at a lower speed (25-30). Have to switch to sport mode to make it disappear (RPMs jump a few hundred). Thinking they've tried to lower the RPMs so much to boost mileage that it's now creating this drone. Theory at best.

So, for me and at least a few others, it's real. Mythical as it might be to others. But I see your point, everyone has a "noise"...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Posted by EngTech Other Important Point - I don't see any Video Sound Proof of what Your Hearing , so so Far it's - BS !
See your point but c'mon, give us a little credit...I may be a little crazy but do know my sounds. :D Super meticulous with my 3 autos and know each of their creaks, groans, rattles and chirps. Quick to address or seek out new arrivals that could mean trouble. Point is, I'm always listening. The brand new 60R that I owned had it so bad that the car was returned - without much of a fight from the dealer. I have always wanted a 60R but the hum was poison to the ears, more like a low pitched drone that cut right through the cabin. Knew I couldn't live with it, others might not care or even hear it. I did.

It's not coincidence that we're hearing the same hum and it's quite a low sound so don't know if one could capture it on a phone. The hum in the new T5 is the same noise at a lower speed (25-30). Have to switch to sport mode to make it disappear (RPMs jump a few hundred). Thinking they've tried to lower the RPMs so much to boost mileage that it's now creating this drone. Theory at best.

So, for me and at least a few others, it's real. Mythical as it might be to others. But I see your point, everyone has a "noise"...[/QUOTE]

If i get a chance with the car, i will recored the noise. Yesterday however i did have an opportunity to meet with the service manager and we went for a drive in my V60. We could hear the whine and he wasn't sure what it was, if it was normal, or if it was just load noise.

He then suggested we take a new V60 out. The dealer happened to have one. An identical car to mine with 13km on it. Brand new. We drove it, and the difference was obvious. The service manager agreed. There is a definate problem with mine. I'm now waiting to hear back to find out what the next step to resolve the situation is.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
If i get a chance with the car, i will recored the noise. Yesterday however i did have an opportunity to meet with the service manager and we went for a drive in my V60. We could hear the whine and he wasn't sure what it was, if it was normal, or if it was just load noise.

He then suggested we take a new V60 out. The dealer happened to have one. An identical car to mine with 13km on it. Brand new. We drove it, and the difference was obvious. The service manager agreed. There is a definate problem with mine. I'm now waiting to hear back to find out what the next step to resolve the situation is.
Getting them to recognize there is a problem is the first step! Having a comparison means it isn't "normal" and they know it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Found this interesting article at AutoGuide.com on their review of the S60...

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/volvo/2012-volvo-s60-t5-review-video-1546.html

"Noise and vibration from the turbocharged engine is pronounced at times during low speed driving – an issue that we’d like to see addressed. Likely due to increased efforts to meet those mpg numbers, like most modern cars the transmission defaults to the highest gear possible sending a low hum and shudder through the cabin."

My theory is not a theory.

However, the OP's issue might be different as it occurs at higher speeds and I agree, believe his is also a drive-line issue.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts