SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Eibach springs and IPD rear sway installed on my car recently. After waiting two weeks (don't ask because I am still sour about the subject) to get my car back from the shop, I picked my car up on Thursday and Friday drove up to Jacksonville. Saturday morning I start to hear this clunking noise coming from the rear of my car. I think that it is very odd and later that day I am going to replace the break pads on the car so I will take a look and see what is going on.

After removing the right rear wheel I noticed this blue bushing on the rear sway has slide down and looks ackwardly placed / barely hanging on. I remove the left wheel to see what the bushing looks like on that side and low and behold there is no bushing.

I guess some where along my drive from Tampa to Jacksonville there is a little blue bushing on the side of the road so if any of you Floridians see you can think of me.

The dealership that installed everything has no idea what could have happened, I mentioned that it was probably installed backwards, hopefully my springs are ok.

I don't intend for this to be a blame thread. I have been in contact with Volvo's customer care center and I am waiting to hear back from them. I am upset about the situation but the dealership is going to install the new bushings for free. The will not however pay for the new bushings.

Has anyone had this happen, am I the first? If not what was the outcome?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: Anyone else had their rear sway bushings fall off? (Rangeball)

Every time I've looked at my IPD rear sway bar, the position of the bushings look fine.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: Anyone else had their rear sway bushings fall off? (MAC1LSR)

MIne are fine as well...... Stupid question, but must be asked.... Were the bolts tight that house the bushing bracket? THat is the only reason I can think of for a bushing that is fitted to the bracket, could fall out like that.

You can't install the bushing backwards wither. one side is flat and the other is rounded if memory serves correct.

Kevin

Note: The bushings I personally installed with the swaybars were red, not blue. I wonder if the specs/manufacturer have changed?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Anyone else had their rear sway bushings fall off? (KVB-R)

Quote, originally posted by KVB-R »
MIne are fine as well...... Stupid question, but must be asked.... Were the bolts tight that house the bushing bracket? THat is the only reason I can think of for a bushing that is fitted to the bracket, could fall out like that.

You can't install the bushing backwards wither. one side is flat and the other is rounded if memory serves correct.

Kevin

Note: The bushings I personally installed with the swaybars were red, not blue. I wonder if the specs/manufacturer have changed?

I am pretty sure they were tight.

Putting the bushings on would only require a little grease and a jack to get the wheel up, correct? I was going to take my car down to Tampa to have them redo their mistake but if I can do it on my own I would rather do that as I probably would feel better about the installation.

·
Registered
470 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Rangeball »

I am pretty sure they were tight.

Putting the bushings on would only require a little grease and a jack to get the wheel up, correct? I was going to take my car down to Tampa to have them redo their mistake but if I can do it on my own I would rather do that as I probably would feel better about the installation.

I had my left one come out of the bracket about two days after the install. Same scenario, heard some banging over uneven surfaces, and there it was, a blue bushing had slid out (but still on the swaybar).

Due to the tension on the bar and bushings, trying to install one side is a bit harder to do if the other side is still attached. But in your case, if both bushings are out of place, it should be easier. After lubricating them, make sure the "U" bracket is slid up as far as possible before tightening. Since the bracket has slots instead of just drilled holes (as the factory brackets have), it is possible there was not enough tension on the bushing to keep it from sliding out.

·
Registered
440 Posts

I just got finished looking at my bushings and there is no way they can come out unless the bolts have been loose or the the bushing/bar is the incorrect model/design for the application.

Your problem is most definately a first here on SS and there has been no fault on the design as many have installed the the IPd sways such as myself without incidents.

There may have been other aftermarket swaybar issues such as a tweak here or there and the endlinks going bad creating the clunking....But never has a bushing fallen out.

Kevin

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: Anyone else had their rear sway bushings fall off? (pino)

Quote, originally posted by pino »
I had my left one come out of the bracket about two days after the install. Same scenario, heard some banging over uneven surfaces, and there it was, a blue bushing had slid out (but still on the swaybar).

Due to the tension on the bar and bushings, trying to install one side is a bit harder to do if the other side is still attached. But in your case, if both bushings are out of place, it should be easier. After lubricating them, make sure the "U" bracket is slid up as far as possible before tightening. Since the bracket has slots instead of just drilled holes (as the factory brackets have), it is possible there was not enough tension on the bushing to keep it from sliding out.

I guess I'll eat my words here. I've never read of any issues with the bushings coming outl.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Anyone else had their rear sway bushings fall off? (pino)

Quote, originally posted by pino »

Ok, sounds good. How long do you think it would take to do this? Should I let the dealership do it. They are going to do it for free, which they should.

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif -Will

·
Registered
470 Posts

If it's on a lift at the dealership, 15 minutes after the car is in the air should do it.
Considerably longer if lying on your back in your garage, however.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Anyone else had their rear sway bushings fall off? (mike_c70)

Quote, originally posted by mike_c70 »
Is that the TME swaybar? I thought all of them were black?
it is from IPD, don't know if it was TME as the box got sent to LA. But it is IPD #6K5147, installed in April '06.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Re: Anyone else had their rear sway bushings fall off? (bayflash)

use locktite thread locker at least. i used locktite and grade 8 fastners with lock nuts on top. i had to get longer bolts as well. i also used red line wheel bearing grease but the stuff ipd provides is marine grade grease and very good.

evidently i had a problem bar. ipd sent all new stuff to me for free, all i had to do was ask after telling them the problem. they were great.

i guess you have another bushing to do the job.

good luck. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

man that is strange. i wonder if ipd had the wrong bushing for you and it "walked" out of the bracket.

everything looks correct to me. did the tech use the stock bushing? i mean i would doubt that but something wrong happened.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts

Stupid question but is there grease on the inside of the metal bracket? It looks like there are remnants of it. If so, that would add to the bushing going for a walk.

Hmm... I guess the new batch of swaybars are indeed a gold color now.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

mine are gold color, and, yea if the tech greased the outside of the bushing it could "walk" out of the bracket i guess. nice catch.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mike_c70 »
Hmm... I guess the new batch of swaybars are indeed a gold color now.
Cadmium finish. Very robust. I hit mine with black paint before installing.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Anyone else had their rear sway bushings fall off? (hastee)

Quote, originally posted by hastee »
mine are gold color, and, yea if the tech greased the outside of the bushing it could "walk" out of the bracket i guess. nice catch.

Oh, it definately had a lot of grease on it. When I took the bushing off of the right side it had some grease on and I will take a picture of it today when I go back to my house for lunch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts