SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a strange rattle today along the interstate on a stretch of road with a few bumps. Going highway speed (65) and heard a rattle that sounded like it was either behind the display screen, or under the dashboard center speaker. Couldnt recreate it on lower speeds hitting bumps.

Grrrrrrr.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I did. My dealer solved it during one of my SnS visits.

·
Registered
191 Posts
funny, i just picked up a cpo 2010 t6 last friday and there is a rattle somewhere in the dash that only occasionally sound when going over holes or bumps. its now back in the dealer to get fixed up. will see if they are able to do it and if so what is the cause.

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
drat19 said:
I did. My dealer solved it during one of my SnS visits.
did they say what it was?
Sorry 'bout that, I should have been more specific. Mine was a rattle behind the radio head unit but in front of the storage cubby behind it (i.e., in the "floating panel"). I guess now upon re-reading Lawguy's OP, my rattle was a little different from his. I positively identified it...I was able to put some hand pressure on it to make it stop while in motion...and so my dealer's service was able to open it up and put some padding in there to address it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
just got a call from my dealer and he said their mech found a problem with the breather box diaphragm being loose. they think thats what caused the rattle. will see how it goes tomorrow.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will ask too. If anyone gets more info, please share it here.

·
Registered
160 Posts
OH! I thought I am alone. I am glad that I am not alone! :rolleyes:

I experience the same rattle in my XC60. It is intermittent and can't be reproduced intentionally.
In fact, I cannot find (or sense) the exact location of the rattle while I am driving. It seems that it is somewhere behind the display screen and maybe under the hood. It is not loud but can be heard if the radio is off.

Someone mentioned a service bulletin (SC-253) about a rattle problem in a different thread but I am not sure if my problem is same as that one. :confused:

I am pretty sure I have the same rattle issue like lawguy mentioned.
If anyone has more information about the cause of the rattle as mentioned by lawguy in the initial post, I would be much appreciate! :thumbup:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OH! I thought I am alone. I am glad that I am not alone! :rolleyes:

I experience the same rattle in my XC60. It is intermittent and can't be reproduced intentionally.
In fact, I cannot find (or sense) the exact location of the rattle while I am driving. It seems that it is somewhere behind the display screen and maybe under the hood. It is not loud but can be heard if the radio is off.
YES - that's it!!!!!

Hasnt recurred in several days, but I am sure that like all rattles, it will be back.

Stay tuned, and keep sharing info on this one.

UNITED WE STAND....LOL.

·
Registered
191 Posts
so i have the xc back. the work order says they found a clogged breather box and a loose alarm siren bracket in the dash.
so the rattle is gone. i made sure i drove over the same potholes that caused the rattle and nothing. so my rattling problemis solved...

but other funny things are happening... sigh...

every time someone opens the car up i think its potential for something else to go wrong. so i dont know if i am imagining this but when the car idles i can feel the engine vibrate a bit louder. in other instances the car doesnt vibrate at idle but if i let the brake go and then stop it will vibrate louder for a moment. anyone have any experience with that? i rally like the car but really cant handle the problems. i just got off a very problematic 99 xc70 and hoping for a break.

·
Registered
191 Posts
and just out of curiosity, what does the cpo certification go through? should the cpo process have found teh clogged breather box? they also replaced a chirping drive belt and also found a weak tensioner while at it. is that also an item not covered in the cpo certification? any dealers out there who can comment on this? grecianvolvo?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
so i dont know if i am imagining this but when the car idles i can feel the engine vibrate a bit louder. in other instances the car doesnt vibrate at idle but if i let the brake go and then stop it will vibrate louder for a moment. anyone have any experience with that? i rally like the car but really cant handle the problems. i just got off a very problematic 99 xc70 and hoping for a break.
you sure it's not just the colder weather making the mounts stiffer? My engine definitely transmits more vibration in the winter than in the summer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i am not 100% positive but i could almost swear i didnt feel it before the work was done. plus its not consistent vibration. comes and goes,

·
Registered
160 Posts
so i have the xc back. the work order says they found a clogged breather box and a loose alarm bracket siren bracket in the dash.
so the rattle is gone. i made sure i drove over the same potholes that caused the rattle and nothing. so my rattling problemis solved...
Hmmm.. What exactly are "clogged breather box and a loose alarm bracket siren bracket"? I have no idea... :confused:

Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i was not told what caused these things to come loose or rattle. they just told me that the loose alarm siren bracket was causing the rattle and something loose in the clogged breather box also may have contributed to the rattle. either way, they dealt with both and the car has not made a peep since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts