SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put new wheels and tires on my car and bought five so I would have a full size spare.Managed to get it in the trunk by removing the foam blocks the original sat on but it still is a little to tall,just wondering if anyone else had this issue.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: Anyone else carrying a full size spare (volvosince16)

No full size spare here, but could you cut some of the sound insulation out of the load floor? I don't recall there ever being a full size spare option for any S60.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Anyone else carrying a full size spare (I Roll)

The trunk cover only sits about a 1/2 inch higher than it did I can live with that I think.I just wanted to see if anyone else had other ideas.

On a side note the spare is a joke
why can't manufacturers just us full size spares from the factory

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Re: (miha11)

Quote, originally posted by miha11 »
$$$, i'm guessing its cheaper to use one of them dinky spares rather than a full-size

true...but give the buyer the option to get it when getting the car at least...they do with everything else.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: (miha11)

Quote, originally posted by miha11 »
$$$, i'm guessing its cheaper to use one of them dinky spares rather than a full-size

I know that in the new gen S80 V8's, they didn't include a spare at all in the '07 models, because just that much weight would push the car into another weight category, requiring different emissions standards, which the car wouldn't be certified for. So they chopped off some weight for the '08+ models, so that the spare could be added without moving the car to another weight class.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Re: (vivek9856)

Quote, originally posted by vivek9856 »

I know that in the new gen S80 V8's, they didn't include a spare at all in the '07 models, because just that much weight would push the car into another weight category, requiring different emissions standards, which the car wouldn't be certified for. So they chopped off some weight for the '08+ models, so that the spare could be added without moving the car to another weight class.

im pretty sure spare tires are optional on c70s (heard a horror story about it one time)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: (Impulse922)

if your floor sits 1/2 an inch higher, it's not big deal. I would make sure it's strong though. You don't want to crease or crack the floor. Some thick sheet metal, or thin plywood would even things out.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

Quote, originally posted by volvosince16 »
I just put new wheels and tires on my car and bought five so I would have a full size spare.Managed to get it in the trunk by removing the foam blocks the original sat on but it still is a little to tall,just wondering if anyone else had this issue.

I carry a spare 17" Peg in my VR - no issues with closing the cargo hatch. Had to use the spare once at a work site and was very glad to have the full size wheel. Otherwise, it would have been 200 miles at 50 mph on back roads most of the way.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: Anyone else carrying a full size spare (ZenZone)

I wouldn't want a full size tire in my V70R. If I get a flat somewhere, I'll just have some pick me up and my flat tire, get it fixed and put it back on. I'm not carrying around extra weight.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Re: Anyone else carrying a full size spare (sinisin63)

Quote, originally posted by sinisin63 »
I wouldn't want a full size tire in my V70R. If I get a flat somewhere, I'll just have some pick me up and my flat tire, get it fixed and put it back on. I'm not carrying around extra weight.

The 17" Peg does not weigh that much more than the factory doughnut. Safety and lost time are much more important than a few pounds of cargo. Allowances can always be made to offset a few extra pounds. Some of the areas we travel are remote, and we would be waiting many hours for roadside assistance.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
AAA

Cant fit a 19" spare in the back lol

And cost would be retarded
$550 for the wheel
$105 for the tire

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Re: (Chilled Man)

Simultaneous posts on a Sunday morning -

Enjoy the day!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

I have had both an 18 and a 17 (two sets of tires and one extra 18, so no big deal) in the trunk, facing down, and everything sits fine.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: Anyone else carrying a full size spare (sinisin63)

Quote, originally posted by sinisin63 »

+1, but to me it's more of a space issue with the subwoofer on the V. Too me not worth the hassle to purchase 5 tires and another Peg and rotate all of them to keep tread wear uniform.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: Anyone else carrying a full size spare (TWMn)

If people are having a hard time imagining a 17-19" wheel as a spare, why not get 16" steel wheel? It's safer than a doughnut, and it can be driven with no speed limitations. There's no need to rotate all 5 wheels evenly if 1 is for emergencies only.

·
Registered
41 Posts

This is pretty off topic but you metioned that there were foam blocks around the spare tire. My car doesnt have this and the floor of the trunk seems to be very weak. Does anybody know where i can get these foam blocks or an easy fix that would help support the floor in your trunk.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: Anyone else carrying a full size spare (Tiny)

Quote, originally posted by Tiny »
If people are having a hard time imagining a 17-19" wheel as a spare, why not get 16" steel wheel? It's safer than a doughnut, and it can be driven with no speed limitations. There's no need to rotate all 5 wheels evenly if 1 is for emergencies only.

The R's brakes do not allow anything smaller than a 17" wheel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts