SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If not one for the radiator, like two smaller, more powerful combo or I was thinking something like a custom made, 4 small fans in an aluminum housing installed on top of a frontmount intercooler like the spot others have put their transcoolers...also wondering if it's even worth it lol shouldn't be too hard to create though!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Why? It will add restriction. OEM fan is very capable. Unless you are spending a lot of time flogging the car at low speed I see no reason to do this. If you want to help cooling on the R, cut some vents in the hood or elsewhere to duct the air out better. It's a cramped engine bay and would benefit from better air extraction. I develop automotive thermal systems for a living by the way so not coming from left field.

·
Registered
868 Posts
OEM fan is very capable.
I agree. The factory fan keeps my coolant temps right where they should be even during the blistering hot summer months. 13 Phoenix summers to date with no overheating issues and the AC blows cold as ever.

IMG_1846.jpg

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why? It will add restriction. OEM fan is very capable. Unless you are spending a lot of time flogging the car at low speed I see no reason to do this. If you want to help cooling on the R, cut some vents in the hood or elsewhere to duct the air out better. It's a cramped engine bay and would benefit from better air extraction. I develop automotive thermal systems for a living by the way so not coming from left field.
Hey thanks for the input. I'm just brainstorming here! I'm willing to do some good vents but I keep reading about maintaining proper hood pressure and whatnot, the elevate hood vents are not my favorite, I like the ones that are more like the pics attached here but again worried about keeping pressure and all other crap I don't understand about aerodynamics. What would you say about the louvers here.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. The factory fan keeps my coolant temps right where they should be even during the blistering hot summer months. 13 Phoenix summers to date with no overheating issues and the AC blows cold as ever.

View attachment 51763
Thanks for your input always with this sort of stuff lol Florida is pretty bad too! And wet!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I just changed the thresholds inside software to keep the temps little lower especially in the summer heat with AC on.
Instead of 105 Celsius, it will spin at around 95 ish Celsius. This has also improved to reduce the heatsoaking of intercooler during slow stop and go traffic. Also made the fan afterrun when engine has been driven hard and turned off. It will keep it at max speed for a minute and then medium and then low speed. Car can be locked and left, it will control itself.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just changed the thresholds inside software to keep the temps little lower especially in the summer heat with AC on.
Instead of 105 Celsius, it will spin at around 95 ish Celsius. This has also improved to reduce the heatsoaking of intercooler during slow stop and go traffic. Also made the fan afterrun when engine has been driven hard and turned off. It will keep it at max speed for a minute and then medium and then low speed. Car can be locked and left, it will control itself.
Dooooooope. I can't wait to tune with you. I'm stage 2 ready and have a bigger turbo to be stage 3 ready!! No funds for it til end of the year though! :/ great contribution to the Volvo community!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
^ That's good thinking there Gustav. After run fan is huge! I always idle my car with A/C on for a few minutes after any hard driving. Heat soak kills!

Hood vents will not hurt with air extraction, only help. Not going to kill aero either...if you were an aero engineer worried about fuel counts you might care, but otherwise you'd never notice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts