SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with upgraded boost delete your PCV system yet? What did you use to plug the return hole and coolant holes? Also, can I completely ditch the PTC, or will it throw a code if I disconnect it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
From the top of my mind, try TRAV_R or Dougy
I think they replaced the stock system with something custom because they were running a custom manifold.

Also remember someone stating that the stock system is adequate for most performance builds.
Replacing it is only worth it when running absolutely crazy outputs and boosts.

But they can tell you

·
Registered
363 Posts
Anyone with upgraded boost delete your PCV system yet? What did you use to plug the return hole and coolant holes? Also, can I completely ditch the PTC, or will it throw a code if I disconnect it?

Thanks.
This is next on my mod list. I'm deleting because my pcv system is pumping sludge into the inlet neck of my turbo and a delete is significantly cheaper than replacing the system. What's the PTC?

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
"Why" is typically a core component in advice giving
Because it's not worth the effort you will see no benefit and if you fix it correctly it will work very very very well for a very long time. There's an updated check-valve to fix many of the issues that have existed in the past. It prevents boost from pressurizing the crank case. It's not hard nor expensive to overhaul the PCV system. The big expensive pipe can be cleaned or the way cheaper T6 version can be modified for use.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Because it's not worth the effort you will see no benefit and if you fix it correctly it will work very very very well for a very long time. There's an updated check-valve to fix many of the issues that have existed in the past. It prevents boost from pressurizing the crank case. It's not hard nor expensive to overhaul the PCV system. The big expensive pipe can be cleaned or the way cheaper T6 version can be modified for use.
Thank you for the explanation. I've only seen PCV service kits but now that I think about it individual parts would be easy to acquire at the expense of time. I'd have to take it apart to figure out what needed to be replaced and then wait on parts.

What pieces of the PCV system besides the updated check valve typically need to be replaced?

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you plug all the PCV ports/holes, your engine will blow out cam/crank seals/oil dip stick and start to leak oil over all over the place the first time you drive it.

PCV - positive crankcase VENTILATION. Blow-by gas needs somewhere to go, and PCV let the gas escape. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ventilation_system

You never want to delete PCV, you may replace or upgrade.

Venting PCV to atmosphere works for some car, but not others, and it will also make your car reek of exhaust smell, old cars have this setup, call draft tube.
Other people uses oil catch can to separate the oil and air and have to air re-enter to engine.
Some people uses vacuum pump for the PCV system.
Some people uses exhaust vacuum.
Some improve on stock system, like myself. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?341385-PCV-shows-symptoms

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Do you happen to know the part nr for updated check-valve? Thank you

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you plug all the PCV ports/holes, your engine will blow out cam/crank seals/oil dip stick and start to leak oil over all over the place the first time you drive it.

PCV - positive crankcase VENTILATION. Blow-by gas needs somewhere to go, and PCV let the gas escape. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ventilation_system

You never want to delete PCV, you may replace or upgrade.

Venting PCV to atmosphere works for some car, but not others, and it will also make your car reek of exhaust smell, old cars have this setup, call draft tube.
Other people uses oil catch can to separate the oil and air and have to air re-enter to engine.
Some people uses vacuum pump for the PCV system.
Some people uses exhaust vacuum.
Some improve on stock system, like myself. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?341385-PCV-shows-symptoms
I know what the PCV system does, and I only asked about plugging the return and coolant holes. The ventilation holes I was considering running to an oil catch can and breather filter which I can empty and clean every oil change or even plumb back into the intake post-filter.

My main concerns are 1) cost of the PCV system parts; and 2) labor to install since i don't have any workspace and the side of the road isn't somewhere I can do a job like this. Although replacing or deleting the system might also be unfeasible on the side of the road, but I'm just exploring options.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yep, knew all that. Not looking to turn the block into a bomb ...

My intent was to NOT spend ~$400 on a replacement PCV system. I was planning on a catch can that vented back into the turbo inlet plumbing and getting rid of the tee on the charge air side of the intake system.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Do you happen to know the part nr for updated check-valve? Thank you
Latest version is PN 31325709

The later cars have a version of updated banjo bolt with a checkvalve (my mom's 06 XC had it though it's pcv was replaced before we bought it so dunno if it was factory) but that checkvalve has no real positive retention and I've heard stories of it ending up in places where it grenades the engine...

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
The check valve was supposedly redesigned to not come apart anymore. It has a roll pin pressed in across the end that is trapped when screwed in.

·
Registered
9,253 Posts

Thanks.
coolant you should be able to no problem especially if you are not going to use the stock pcv piping which helps to reduce the moisture with the coolant ruing through it...but unless you planing to run 700-800+ hp i dont see why you would want to bypass the rest...but if you want to see how it works out, way to find out is -

·
Registered
19,263 Posts
The check valve was supposedly redesigned to not come apart anymore. It has a roll pin pressed in across the end that is trapped when screwed in.
2016 version has exactly this

·
Registered
459 Posts
If one was to get ride of the pcv system on this vehicle it would first of all dramatically effect the signal from the maf. That is why thy classic code that is stored when a pcv is plugged is ecm-120d maf flow too low. This intern affects the vacuum signal in the intake manifold what happens next is the ecm starts moving the throttle plate to try to achieve the desired vacuum/pressure in the intake manifold. Then you start getting idle problems. Alot of times you only need to clean out the nipple thats on the right side of the intake manifold takes a few hours and almost no parts. So I guess if you wanted to get rid of the pcv system it would require software so the ecm could make decisions based on a whats going on in the intake without a pcv system.

·
Registered
19,263 Posts
If one was to get ride of the pcv system on this vehicle it would first of all dramatically effect the signal from the maf. That is why thy classic code that is stored when a pcv is plugged is ecm-120d maf flow too low. This intern affects the vacuum signal in the intake manifold what happens next is the ecm starts moving the throttle plate to try to achieve the desired vacuum/pressure in the intake manifold. Then you start getting idle problems. Alot of times you only need to clean out the nipple thats on the right side of the intake manifold takes a few hours and almost no parts. So I guess if you wanted to get rid of the pcv system it would require software so the ecm could make decisions based on a whats going on in the intake without a pcv system.
Have you ever even looked at the engine bay? Because that is simply not true.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.