SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I own a 2014 XC60 D5. While I indulge in some recreational soft-roading (mostly gravel roads) I have not done any water crossing – so before I crossed any low level streams I did some research on the maximum wading depth of my vehicle. In doing so I came across the following discrepancy and wanted some clarification:

The following official Volvo site says 350 mm:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/models/xc60/2014/specifications

However this site (which is also official and appears to be a manual says 250 mm):

http://support.volvocars.com/ie/car...4w20&article=3c518525f78f4435c0a801e801b9563d

The second site is also consistent with what’s mentioned in the Volvo manual app for Oz – So I assume that to be accurate?

If we assume 250 mm to be accurate, with my current tyre configuration (20" alloys) 250 mm of water doesn’t even make it to the under carriage of my vehicle – seriously? That low?? For a AWD vehicle with this level of capability? Surely that can’t be right!!... or could it?

I know the xc60 isn't a Land Cruiser or Land Rover, but it is a nice drive on and off the road...A friend recently asked me to join them on a track where there are some low level water crossings and I need to know what this vehicle actually can or can't do...So has anyone crossed water with their xc60? If so, can I get an indication of relative depth please?

For the record, in response to an email from me, Volvo is sticking to the 250 mm max wading depth at 10 km/h

Thanks in advance for your responses

·
Registered
117 Posts
Flash flood wiped out a few stretches of Rice road in the desert last year. I had to cross two sections. Water was up the hubs and I didn't have any issues. Granted nothing wild but I wouldn't have done it in my c30. Not me standing out there.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Flash flood wiped out a few stretches of Rice road in the desert last year. I had to cross two sections. Water was up the hubs and I didn't have any issues. Granted nothing wild but I wouldn't have done it in my c30. Not me standing out there.
I have also crossed water around the same height, due to a water main break. 0 issues, but I also crawled through it (like 2-3km/hr crawl).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts