SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished detailing my car and was looking at the pics of the new 05 R cars with the painted trim. I'm constantly (every 2-3 weeks) having to clean the trim with Meg's #40 to keep it looking nice and black. I thought I remembered a discussion a while back that suggested replacing the black plastic trim with the new painted trim from the 05 models was likely to be available for us 04 owners.
Now that the 05's are starting to come in has anyone explored this further? I casually asked the service manager last week at my dealership, and he didn't know if it was possible.

If it is possible does anyone have any estimate of how much this might cost with installation (ballpark)? I am not talking about anything with the rear bumper--just the side pieces that go across the door and the two small pieces on the front.

Finally I noticed that the Titanium grey for 05 models is not listed in the OSD V70R description as a metallic paint but now as Titanium grey pearl. Is this the really a new paint. If so then I guess the painted trim would not match and would probably look like crap.

Since this board usually knows a lot more about these things than my dealership (who I am otherwise quite happy with) I thought I would check. I know I could always take off the trim, sand it and paint it like JRL did--but ordering new already painted trim seems much simpler (and cheaper).

Waxing would be a joy if weren't for that trim

Pat

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Anyone Considering Replacing 04 Trim with Painted 05 Trim? (PB11)

Having looked closely at (and driven) an '05, I don't see why at least the front and the sides can't be just replaced. They seem exactly the same and would bet the farm they are.
The rear bumper is a bit different but I think they (the inserts) are the same as well.
JRL

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PB11 »
I am not talking about anything with the rear bumper--just the side pieces that go across the door and the two small pieces on the front.

I know I could always take off the trim, sand it and paint it like JRL did--but ordering new already painted trim seems much simpler (and cheaper).

Waxing would be a joy if weren't for that trim

Since you're only talking about those 4 pieces, just get them painted. It should only be between $200 to $300 for a good job, not a lot when you consider you paid over $30K for the car. You'll still have the waxing problem with the bottom black pieces. I was thinking of putting a clear coat on them (not worried about the bumps), but not sure how long it would last.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: Anyone Considering Replacing 04 Trim with Painted 05 Trim? (bigwilly)

Quote, originally posted by bigwilly »

Since you're only talking about those 4 pieces, just get them painted. It should only be between $200 to $300 for a good job, not a lot when you consider you paid over $30K for the car. You'll still have the waxing problem with the bottom black pieces. I was thinking of putting a clear coat on them (not worried about the bumps), but not sure how long it would last.

Not as easy as you think. The trim pieces need to be sanded down properly, and since it's plastic, there needs to be good primer. I think overall it's cheaper to buy the 05 trim.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Re: (oskarom)

Quote, originally posted by oskarom »
does anyone have a price on the 05 trims?

I am working on a Group Buy on the moldings with Red at Brentwood. Hope to have part numbers and prices by next week. All 05 moldings will come primed and ready for painting. You will have to get them painted. Also the two rear bumper moldings of the 05 V70R will not fit the 04 V70R. All the other molding appear to be a match.

Doug H

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (defgh1)

Thanks Doug! That is just what I was hoping to hear. You can count me in on any group purchase. I know a good body shop here that I am sure can paint and install them with no problem.

I bought mats, mud guards and an extra set of 17"" Pegs from Red last winter--really nice guy to deal with and great prices (dealer wouldn't budge from MSRP on any parts--even though I was buying a >40K car!). The savings much more than made up for the cost of shipping.

Keep us posted on this Doug and thanks again!

Pat

P.S.: Thanks also for posting your Used Oil Analyses--those results with M1 have definitely helped guide my thinking about oil change intervals with Group IV synthetics (I'm using Amsoil 5W30) for this car--think I'll order a test kit from Blackstone and start doing this too.

·
Registered
745 Posts

I originally thought I would love to paint the trim on my Flash Green S60R. Now that I've seen it, I'm not so sure. I definitely want to keep the bottom trim charcoal grey. There's a chance I might consider the sides and the bumper corners, but I'll have to see some more pictures of how it looks in Flash Green first.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I also have the F Green. I would consider painting the side middle mouldings but that's all. After I saw the pic on the Japanese R site (forget the name), the F Green with all trim painted, reminded me of a wedding cake, very odd looking.

I think the F Green needs some black to balance it. Just my opinion.

BTW, a friend of mine has been to several paint shops for trim painting estimates. Seems it is fairly expensive to do this as it is a pain to do apparently?

F Green V70 R GT

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (Britspeed)

As much as I am the biggest fan of painted moldings, I agree to a point.
Silver and Flash Green probably would look good leaving the bottom black and just do the sides and bumpers

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (drivinfast)

As hard as it is for me to concede, that looks better than the ALL Silver one I drove last week
(It does need some sort of front spoiler though)
JRL

·
Registered
234 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
As hard as it is for me to concede, that looks better than the ALL Silver one I drove last week
(It does need some sort of front spoiler though)
JRL

Thanks, JRL. I agree on the front spoiler. I just haven't figured out which one I like. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Anyone Considering Replacing 04 Trim with Painted 05 Trim? (mike_c70)

Quote, originally posted by mike_c70 »

Not as easy as you think. The trim pieces need to be sanded down properly, and since it's plastic, there needs to be good primer. I think overall it's cheaper to buy the 05 trim.

It cost me $350 to do the five upper trim pieces. The guy was working on a Ferrari Modena 360 and he gave me a warranty. Side trim is as smooooth as the rest of the car. Money well spent IMO, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
745 Posts

See? That's what I'm talking about! Imagine that in Flash Green! (And for me, a sedan.)

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Quote, originally posted by drivinfast »

Thanks, JRL. I agree on the front spoiler. I just haven't figured out which one I like. Any thoughts?

Well when my VST lip is done I MAY, (not sure) take a mold before I paint and install it
I'm slicing down the extreme "winglets" that wrap around.
Thus, the ends should look more like their normal spoiler that they make for a V70.
I gave my body guy a picture of those as a guide so hopefully he won't screw it up
JRL

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: (oskarom)

Quote, originally posted by oskarom »
does anyone have a price on the 05 trims?

For what it's worth, I checked today at my dealer's parts dept while waiting on my oil change. Either the parts guy doesn't know how to read the prices or the prices are ridiculously expensive but I got quoted $75 for each (yes EACH) of the front ones (I specifically asked him if the $75 was for the pair but he said each.
)and over $100 each for the door mouldings.
He couldn't get the rear prices because it appeared that they were not loaded into the system yet. I also asked to make sure that they were the '05 ones and he said yes because the parts list stated that they were primed. If those are indeed the prices I may just paint my current ones and call it a day.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

I gave my body guy a picture of those as a guide so hopefully he won't screw it up
JRL

Let's hope so. That's a very expensive piece of FG to screw up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.