SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been having an ongoing issue with my starter every once in a while - like once in 40 or 50 starts or so.

It has a sort of stumbling and unenergetic sounding turnover. Usually, it starts on the first try when it's like this, but sometimes it takes a second try to get it going.

After reading about possibly similar situations like mine on swedespeed, I thought I'd just live with it until it came to some sort of critical mass, which it did yesterday

I was out and about, and went to start the car, and it would turn over like 1.5 times, then just nothing. So, I would press start again and the whole thing repeated itself - about 5 times. For the first time since having these issues, I was thinking it might not start at all. After about 5 attempts, it fired up.

Starts today were pretty normal.

I can't get in with the mechanic I like best until next week, so I'm hoping I can get a really good recording for him to hear by then.

In the meantime, I have this one which isn't the best representation of what's happening, but maybe some of the great minds here could have an idea of what it sounds like.

Apologies for the awful sound quality and all the clicks and dinging going on, but I don't know how else to record something like this.

I just played it over my computer speakers, and it's impossible to figure out and distorted (when turned up), so I don't recommend that at all. If headphones are handy, it helps a lot to hear the engine.

Also, this recording might sound like it could be a low battery, but the battery is new so I'm sure it's not that.

Thanks for any input!

https://soundcloud.com/user-73812552

·
Registered
820 Posts
How old is your battery?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery is about 4 months old.

I replaced it when we figured out the alarm (which needed service) was depleting the battery.

At the time, I had 2 issues affecting the way the starter acted, one of which was a low battery charge.

Since the new battery, the starter still has 1 of the issues, but it's different from when the battery was also low.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts