SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive in the snow a lot because I snowboard, and I'm the type to hop in and go when the snow starts, so I wanted to add some more light. I always end up on unplowed highways at 5am alone in the dark. I didn't want to ruin the clean look of the xc90 so I was poking around the grill area looking for some spots to install some lights, preferably yellow.

First I thought about adding some 6" hid fog lights to the top of the bumper (hid so I could use 3k bulbs), but then considered behind the grill so I won't be drilling through the plastic. But there's not enough room between the grill and radiator. I was thinking to attach them to the grill so they come up with the hood, but then aiming them would be difficult and they looked like they would hit the radiator support anyways.

So I was looking for something thin and came across some led lights round lights. That seemed viable, but then I saw another link for led light bars, which I didn't think existed. I have an 04, and there's that little grill area above the license plate so I thought about putting one in there, but then decided to go under the license plate. I'll just bring the plate up a bit. There's a little spot above the skid plate but under the bumper. I ordered a 24" 120w led light, a harness for it, and some yellow tint film. I'll be drilling all way way through the horizontal frame, and use wing nuts at the top by the grill area.

I looked all over and couldn't find much info on this so I was wondering if anyone else has added extra lighting and to theirs. I'll be directly wiring a relay to the battery, and an led switch with an add a circuit in the inside fuse box.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's one of the ones that I saw, but I wanted something more concealed. I guess this is the wrong season to be installing winter lighting lol but I figured I don't have much work going on and it'll give me something to play with.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I did some measuring and a 31" light bar should fit (barely) below the licence plate pretty easy. But if you are talking about an offroad LED bar, they are illegal on road, or so I've heard. You can have them on the vehicle, but you can't turn them on. If you hear any differently, please tell me because I would love the extra lighting as well!

This is the bar I was looking at:
http://www.carid.com/ipcw-inprocarwear/ipcw-led-light-bars-54951090.html

If you didn't want the full bar, these would mount easier:
http://www.carid.com/ipcw-inprocarwear/ipcw-driving-lights-54951029.html

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I just did some checking. Offroad lights are allowed to be on if they are at the centerline of the headlights or below, so you should be ok. Only 2 lights are allowed to be uncovered at any one time. Kind of an odd law...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an 04, and the space above the skid plate and below the license plate is 24" exactly so I got a 23" led bar. I'll post some pics after I get it installed. It should be here Friday or Saturday. I don't plan on using it all the time, just when necessary. And that's usually when nobody is on the road. I've never been stopped for aux lighting, but I don't use them on the lie in traffic either.

·
3,391 Posts
You can still use the above thread that I made to hook up the OEM aux light wiring. It gives you the opportunity to use whatever style lights you would prefer. I simply chose the Hella 500s because those are what I personally liked, but the kit is designed to be used with any type of light. You don't have to use the Volvo bracket either. I feel it's worth the money to utilize the pre-run factory wiring and add the factory style switch. It's so well-integrated.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw that harness the other day when I was fixing the air box. Just a gripe but the previous owners mechanic installed a new air filter and didn't fit the cover of the air box right in the middle and the heat from the motor warped it so I had to use a torch to bend the plastic back into shape so it closes properly. Anyways I saw that harness and wondered what it was for.

I don't want to wire it into the factory lighting because then I'll have to run the high beams and I want yellow light for the snow and I feel like the high beams might wash out the yellow, or at the very least make me really annoying if somebody passes me. I'm just going to run my own wiring, so I can control when it's on. I really don't like the light switch placement on this truck. I can't see it behind the steering wheel at all so i'm usually fussing with it or taking my eyes off the road to contort myself around the wheel to see where the buttons are. I wish they mounted them higher. It's typical volvo style. My 850 dash looked like a German plane cockpit. I picked Germain because I can't speak or read German and none of the buttons have names and they were all out of reach and view lol

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
One of the options I saw for a switch was to use one of the unused slots (BLIS button area) and simply cut a hole for the button. The cut has to be exact so the button or switch is snug, but it looked really good, almost professional. I agree with Ou2mame about the fog light position. It drives me insane to have to look around the wheel to push the button. If you need the foglights, the conditions are bad and you don't want to take your eyes off the road.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I got a wiring setup with a relay and switch for 8 bucks, but the switch is one of those cheap ones that have a sticky pad. I'm just going to use that for now, but I'm probably going to use a custom written led switch and dremel a rectangle into the shifter plate and insert it there and wire it to the dash lights to only come on when the headlights are on. They make pretty small switches and it'll sit flush in that area. I think that'll look pretty good, maybe even stock.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got the light today. Maybe I'll mount it later if i'm bored. I connected it to my jumper pack and its certainly bright.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Well I got the light today. Maybe I'll mount it later if i'm bored. I connected it to my jumper pack and its certainly bright.
Very cool! I'd love to see pics when you have them installed. I've been contemplating the same thing although I may go more the beam light pattern more like what itwontstopsnowin did with the Volvo Aux Light Kit. I may go warmer too with a 4000k - 4100k light for winter/fog use. My only hesitation still has to do with the front park assist sensors and whether or not using the Volvo mount would put the assembly far enough forward to defeat/trigger the park assist sensors constantly. If anyone has experience with it and park assist sensors I'd love to hear about it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
What brand is it? Looks pretty sturdy.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I dunno it was 40 bucks on ebay lol.. It is well built though, definitely doesn't feel cheap. I just installed it. I forgot to take some pics, I will in a bit. I used some yellow tint but it kinda makes it look green lol.. I might remove it I haven't seen it at night yet.

I ended up tapping the power switch into the fuse for the headlight leveling, and wired the relay to the power under the hood and the ground on the fender. Should be fine that way. Had to remove some bumper material under the license plate by the skid plate, but nothing major. You can't see it unless you're under the truck.

I ran the wires into the cabin through the fender and driver door, to the fuse box because I couldn't fit the plug for the switch through the firewall. I might try again when my mechanic has it on a lift and see if I can do it from under the truck. I turned it on tonight and really didn't like the yellow (green) tint, so I took it off. I'll have to find something else. Maybe a different brand. I'll test it first next time.

I'll take some pics of the install tomorrow. Here's a pic of the green tint before I took it off. The bar definitely puts out some light though, I'm very happy with it otherwise.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Looks great! On to the HID's?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I might do led headlights, unless the dealership wants to turn my drl off. I wish there were aftermarket headlights available for these. I would prefer projectors but at 500 bucks a headlight that's kind of steep.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ou2mame,

Your install looks great and I've been referencing this thread along with itwontstopsnowing's thread on the Volvo Auxiliary Lighting kit to allow the integrated switch and wiring.

How difficult was it to drill into the frame, and how long of a bolt was needed to clear the distance to allow the use of the wing nuts? I'm getting ready to undertake this project, although I may go with a smaller 10" light bar since I'm looking at the Rigid brand SR-2 combo option that provides the best of both distance driving and side spot lighting (and don't feel I need a full 20" bar). http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/911312

The frame still appears the be the best attachment point, I was just weary of drilling into the frame itself, but all other attachment options are going to leave me worrying about my expensive light flying off the vehicle or bouncing around. They do have a myriad of mounting options (even weld type options), but I'm still not sure which to go for: http://www.rigidindustries.com/mounting-options?f[0]=field_product_mounting_options%3a965

Any additional suggestions or tips before tackling this? :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I actually didn't go through the frame with wing nuts, I just drilled and tapped the frame. I used bolts that fit the bracket holes, 5/16x1". I went to ace with one of the brackets and got a couple. I considered alternative option bit this seemed to be the best option. It's very sturdy. I have the power wire wrapped around a zip tie so if for some reason something happened the light wouldn't fall off.. But it's very secure I can't even wiggle it. I'm very happy with it. I didn't want to integrate the switch because I wanted the option to turn it on and off independently, but I do have a relay setup so it turns off with the ignition.

This is a 40 dollar ebay light, and it works great. It's for spots in the center and wide beams on the sides. You could go with a higher quality light, but honestly thing was too bright. I double tinted it yellow on the front and back of the lens to dim it if I use it with other cars on the road. The yellow light is very yellow. I think it's going to be perfect in the snow.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts