SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The later ones, 2005 and up are a different story. Much easier to set up. But I understand the 03 and 04s require a bit more effort. Anyway, if anyone has done it. I'd love to hear some pointers and tips.<p>I bought a hidden hitch off ebay. Install was no problem, just about 1 hour following the instructions. Then I bought the universal wiring kit that the seller recommended, from "Tow Ready", the product is called "Modulite Protector". Directions actually don't sound that bad, althugh electrical work usually terrifies me. Going to tackle it this weekend, and I always like to tap into the swedespeed knowledge pool before doing anything to the XC90.<p>Let me know fellas. Thanks,<br>Tony

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: Anybody wire an 03 or 04 XC90 for towing? (tpezzolo)

From this thread found with google search of "hidden hitch wiring"<p><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=12744&page=2" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...age=2</A><p><br>Here is a summarized version of the installation steps for the Volvo wiring harness for the XC90:<br>- Fold rear center floor hatch up and detach the two straps from the panel and remove.<br>- Remove passenger side floor hatch (triangular-like) and side access panel (same panel you remove to do a manual release fo fuel door).<br>- Remove the battery drainage hose from the rubber seal in flooring below the battery.<br>- Remove spare tire<br>- Position new wiring harness seal and thread battery drainage hose through the new rubber seal. Ensure that the hose is unimpeded and not kinked.<br>- Remove the screws holding the support for the floor in the cargo compartment at the rear edge.<br>- Slacken off the two screws in the brackets that hold the floor extension (these run parallel to the floor along the front edge of the tailgate).<br>-Pull up the floor extension on the passenger side and position a shim underneath it.<br>- Pull up the rear edge of the support for the floor and push the connector plug under into the space behind the wheel well (do not damage the support for the floor in the cargo compartment it is brittle).<br>- Connect the harness end-plug to the matching end-plug in the space (it is easily visible).<br>- There is an accessory terminal wire (blue) that does not have to be connected, but gives you the option of installing a charge line (must add a fuse to RCM), fog tail lamp (may require a new relay in the RCM and a VADIS download, or a reversing lamp (which only requires insertion into terminal position 12). None of these are utilized in a 4-pin connector.<br>- Retighten all screws and replace the battery cover. Resuspend the spare.<br>-The Hidden Hitch does not have its own bracket to mount the external plug end, and I used 2 angle brackets to attach and pull ties to route and secure the harness cable along the hitch structure as per the directions.<p>The Volvo instructions on initial inspection look very complicated, but the text is written for 5 models and the XC90 specific instructions are not that complicated IMO. There are also multiple diagrams in the instructions that help with installation.<p>The harness I installed has a European 7-pin end-plug, and I had to buy a Volvo 4-pin adapter. I've heard rumors that Volvo has or will have a harness with a U.S. 7-pin end. This will negate the need for a Volvo specific adapter.<p>My total time for hitch and harness installation was 3 hours. My total cost for hitch, harness, and adapter was $255.<p>

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the info. Wish I had read that thread before I ordered my crappy "splicing required" wiring kit. I have ordered the 7/4 pin harness from volvo and intend to install it very soon.<p>I read that old hidden hitch thread and most of the install pics are dead links. If anyone has pics of installing the volvo wiring harness, I'd be really interested in seeing them.<p>Thanks all, Tony<p>

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: (tpezzolo)

I installed the hidden hitch on mine and used the volvo harness. It wasn't really hard at all despite the lengthy instructions. The most difficult part was fabricating a bracket to hold the plug at the right level.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: (Volvoneophyte)

Re. Bracket to hold plug. U-haul has a selection of plug brackets. I bought a round one for my '08 for $2. As I recall most of the various brackets they had were around that same price. Saves a lot of headache.<p>Install instructions, check here: <A HREF="http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/search.aspx" TARGET="_blank">http://vccs.volvocars.se/acces....aspx</A><p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts