SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about switching over to an open cone filter to get a little more air through the engine. Has anybody noticed any difference when doing this? also what process did you use to complete it? Pictures would be awesome

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Nope, not on a Volvo. J/K.

Of course you can use a cone type filter, the MAF inlet is pretty much 3" OD so any 3" filter should do the trick as long as it's not too long. Lots of guys here have chosen to run either K&N type cotton and oil filters or dry flow filters like AEM sells. There's no general concensus that is makes more horsepower than a closed box air filter but it does sound better, louder intake noise and more turbo noise, you can hear the CBV vent with an open cone type filter.

I use cheap E-Bay filters for $10 and throw them away after two or three oil changes, you might prefer a reuseable filter but I'd recommend building your own enclosure or heat shield rather than pay out the wazoo for a prefabbed piece of tin from EST or similar.

Process is as expected, remove stock airbox, clamp cone filter onto the MAF.

Tons of pics of filters on here but they look like you would expect, a cone filter on a MAF, some guys have built shrouds as mentioned.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Euro sport tuning has a regular Cold air but I'm turned off by their products personally as I bought the LED DRL headlights and they turned out to be crap quality.
http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EST02&Product_Code=VLE-160-201&Category_Code=VL-S60-en

I am planning to upgrade to the Simota (which is much cooler looking) and is the same price.

http://www.vivaperformance.com/cci-intake-system-volvo-s60-v70-turbo/

Many folks recommend getting a bigger inlet as this will increase performance nicely with the CAI

http://www.vivaperformance.com/turbo-intake-pipe-s60-v70-xc70-s80/

Personally, now that I've added the 3" catless DP I think my next mod will be the Simota and the Snabb Pipe.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Euro sport tuning has a regular Cold air but I'm turned off by their products personally as I bought the LED DRL headlights and they turned out to be crap quality.
http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EST02&Product_Code=VLE-160-201&Category_Code=VL-S60-en

I am planning to upgrade to the Simota (which is much cooler looking) and is the same price.

http://www.vivaperformance.com/cci-intake-system-volvo-s60-v70-turbo/

Many folks recommend getting a bigger inlet as this will increase performance nicely with the CAI

http://www.vivaperformance.com/turbo-intake-pipe-s60-v70-xc70-s80/

Personally, now that I've added the 3" catless DP I think my next mod will be the Simota and the Snabb Pipe.
The problem with the simota is that it doesn't fit properly, the point where it connects to the stock fresh air inlet is round, while the stock inlet is square :facepalm:.

Plus if you look at the beginning of the stock inlet you can see how restrictive it is. You'll gain more low end torque with the simota simply because you're using a closed box with slight ram air effects, but you'll end up losing some upper rpm pull because of the air restrictions in the system.

This is one of the reasons the R-Kelly style intake was created, you gain a lot more airflow to the airbox, essentially doubling the amount of air that the airbox sees with just the stock fresh air tube.

So ideally if you want to get the most flow possible and most low end torque from the ram air effect you should do dual R-Kelly style intakes feeding to the bottom of the stock S60 airbox...although i don't quite know where you'd place the inlets for the R-Kelly intakes because you don't have foglights like the R's do...but still, i'm sure it's possible somehow

·
Registered
581 Posts
The problem with the simota is that it doesn't fit properly, the point where it connects to the stock fresh air inlet is round, while the stock inlet is square :facepalm:.

Plus if you look at the beginning of the stock inlet you can see how restrictive it is. You'll gain more low end torque with the simota simply because you're using a closed box with slight ram air effects, but you'll end up losing some upper rpm pull because of the air restrictions in the system.

This is one of the reasons the R-Kelly style intake was created, you gain a lot more airflow to the airbox, essentially doubling the amount of air that the airbox sees with just the stock fresh air tube.

So ideally if you want to get the most flow possible and most low end torque from the ram air effect you should do dual R-Kelly style intakes feeding to the bottom of the stock S60 airbox...although i don't quite know where you'd place the inlets for the R-Kelly intakes because you don't have foglights like the R's do...but still, i'm sure it's possible somehow
Viva Performance said that it is a direct fit. This is why I am hesitant to buy the simota. If you got the Snabb AND the Simota would this eliminate your problem? OR are you saying the Simota has a different shape piece where the air comes in the "air scooper" before the engine.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Viva Performance said that it is a direct fit. This is why I am hesitant to buy the simota. If you got the Snabb AND the Simota would this eliminate your problem? OR are you saying the Simota has a different shape piece where the air comes in the "air scooper" before the engine.
The second thing you said is correct...the part where the simota connects to the "air scooper" is round, while the "air scooper" is square.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Get snabb intake pipe and make your own heat shield deflector or leave it open.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know this might sound stupid but is there any cone filter that would be applicable for an N/A 2.4 S60? just to perhaps enhance the cars sound a little , are any of these applicable Or is there anything else that would fit that I might wanna know about? any help is appreciated heh

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you take the cover off the airbox, you'll hear a little more of the engine without spending a dime (provided you have a cone filter that's bolted on), but the heat soak will reduce your performance somewhat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
well but what If I'm trying to just trying to hear a little more of the engine and not trying to reduce the performance if you can even call that performance having an N/A 2.4... lol I just love the sound of the I5 and wanted to enhance it a little bit, so I have been thinking about an intake for a while but could never figure out if there is anything compatible for my car.. I need help please :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts