SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about a possible career change, but it may involve commuting 100 miles round trip every day in some pretty nasty traffic. Total driving time could be as much as 3-4 hours depending on conditions. Anybody in a similar situation with their R?

This is going to be me (audio): http://www.bobrivers.com/asx/TT_651_4.asx

Here are the lyrics:

Highway To Bellevue

(Parody of Highway To Hell by AC/DC)

Livin' easy, livin' free
Out with the Volvo on a scenic drive
Some poor bastard's in the breakdown lane
It's another damn backup on 405
Best call Triple-A
Now I would stop and help him, you see, but
I'm running behind
I have to get Muffy to her massage therapist by noon
Well, What's the holdup?
Why aren't we moving?

I'm on the highway to Bellevue
Highway to Bellevue
On the highway to Bellevue

Good heavens
Is it absolutely necessary to play those 8-track tapes at such an ungodly volume?
Obviously went to public school
Oh dear, oh, I seem to have angered him
He's rolling down his window
I sincerely hope he's not armed.

Hey, buddy
Move that boat
Pretty soon I'm gonna ram that can
520 set me free
I'm on my way to the yuppie's land
(Hey, I resent that remark!)

(Turn it Down!)
(You call that music? Good heavens!)
Yes, I'm goin' down 405
(You're obviously from Lynnwood, aren't you?)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Anybody have a long commute with their R? (frankhoffy)

I do 52 miles each way. Its mainly hiway but morning traffic the ride can be an hour 15 to 2 1/2 hours. The ride home is much better since it is later, after traffic and is more like 45-50 minutes ( the car just loves 90+MPH). This is actually why I bought the car so I can make this drive in any weather. My Firebird is harsh, loud, too much for that commute. This car just goes, any weather, runs great, gets me pretty good MPG and runs with anything on the road at speed, not to mention that it gets to speed as fast as I need it to normally and faster than most anything around me. And it does it quietly...

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Frank, I would move if I was you. The drive from the Olympia area to Bellevue is nasty during rush time. 405 is a POS EVERY morning from Renton up to Factoria (I-90/I-405 crossover). Maybe if you drive up to Auburn and take Rt. 18 out to I-90 might be OK (long drive though).
That's a nasty drive. You should move to North Bend or someplace (still somewhat rural but closer to Bellevue).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: Anybody have a long commute with their R? (twheels)

Before I swapped my v70R 6spd in October, I was using it for my current 75 mile (each way) commute with a mix of some traffic and lots of high speed highway and was averaging 21.5 mpg. Not bad for 300hp w/ AWD and a heavy-footed driver. For comparison, my 2006 Jetta GLI 6spd is averaging 28 mpg. That's what 100 hp less and FWD gets you. I must confess I do miss the power and exclusivity of the R, but I don't miss the suspension.

·
Registered
206 Posts

I recently (about a month ago) bought a '05 S60R manual and commute 25 miles each was to and from Boston each day. The trip takes about 1 hour each way most days and I an getting about 25 mpg. I love the car. Before the R I did it in a '98 S70 T5 manual and got about 26 mpg. Not bad for either. Before the S70 I did it in a '92 Ford Torus SHO manual and didn't do as well on mileage. The SHO was another great car and, like the R, totally unappreciated by most of the other drivers out there. My only regret is that I wind up putting a lot of miles on really good cars.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Frank,

I just got off jury duty (commute from Woodinville to Kent) and saw that the traffic was awful going North to Bellevue in the AM and awful going South from Bellevue in the PM.

With that in mind, I would second Flybynight's suggestion to move much closer to avoid the traffic.

BTW, my 35 mile drive to Kent normally took about an hour from my house to the Courthouse. Could have been better or worse.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts

I think JimiRayClapton once said he commutes like 200 miles a day.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (flybynight)

Quote, originally posted by flybynight »
Frank, I would move if I was you. The drive from the Olympia area to Bellevue is nasty during rush time. 405 is a POS EVERY morning from Renton up to Factoria (I-90/I-405 crossover). Maybe if you drive up to Auburn and take Rt. 18 out to I-90 might be OK (long drive though).
That's a nasty drive. You should move to North Bend or someplace (still somewhat rural but closer to Bellevue).

I know, but my family is all down here within 15 minutes of where I live, and I love them. My brother is going to be having a kid in June and could probably use some help babysitting. My folks are getting old and could use somebody to help out on the farm.

I would have to come up 161, hit 167, then 405. Alternatively, I could go up highway 7, hit 512, then I-5, and either cut across at 405 or 90.

Either way I'm screwed, but I'm starting to think that there are some things I would put up with in order to have a more fulfilling career. It is difficult for a computer programmer to find jobs in the South Sound.

·
Registered
507 Posts

I ended up buying the R because I had a long commute (50 miles one way). It had the most comfortable seats of all the cars I tried.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

All day in traffic, buy a (automatic, COMFY) beater. Save the R for nights and weekends

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Re: Anybody have a long commute with their R? (Lead Foot 60)

Quote, originally posted by Lead Foot 60 »
Frank,

I just got off jury duty (commute from Woodinville to Kent) and saw that the traffic was awful going North to Bellevue in the AM and awful going South from Bellevue in the PM.

With that in mind, I would second Flybynight's suggestion to move much closer to avoid the traffic.

BTW, my 35 mile drive to Kent normally took about an hour from my house to the Courthouse. Could have been better or worse.

Hah! I did jury duty myself down in Kent last year. Don't forget to submit your miles for reinbursement.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Re: Anybody have a long commute with their R? (flybynight)

My commute to work is 4 miles downhill. Granted I drive a lot during the day, but I love getting to work within 15 minutes (if I hit every light). I probably don't even have to turn my car on to get to work, I could just coast down the hill.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Re: (frankhoffy)

Quote, originally posted by frankhoffy »

I know, but my family is all down here within 15 minutes of where I live, and I love them. My brother is going to be having a kid in June and could probably use some help babysitting. My folks are getting old and could use somebody to help out on the farm.

I would have to come up 161, hit 167, then 405. Alternatively, I could go up highway 7, hit 512, then I-5, and either cut across at 405 or 90.

Either way I'm screwed, but I'm starting to think that there are some things I would put up with in order to have a more fulfilling career. It is difficult for a computer programmer to find jobs in the South Sound.

I won't get into your personal life beyond saying, if you moved a little closer to Seattle/Bellevue you'd still be close to your family. I'm used to living 1000's of miles from family. 50 miles or so is still damn close.
I would hope your family would understand if you moved a little to better your career. Besides, didn't you say once they thought you were nuts for mod'ing your R so much!!

More women to pick from in Seattle & Bellevue

·
Registered
966 Posts
Re: (flybynight)

Quote, originally posted by flybynight »
I won't get into your personal life beyond saying, if you moved a little closer to Seattle/Bellevue you'd still be close to your family. I'm used to living 1000's of miles from family. 50 miles or so is still damn close.
I would hope your family would understand if you moved a little to better your career. Besides, didn't you say once they thought you were nuts for mod'ing your R so much!!

More women to pick from in Seattle & Bellevue

Totally agree, my family is 1.5 hours close to me and I see them often. I see them on weekends when traffic is light and live close to my work so I can have a life and drive 15 minutes each way Monday-Friday. I would really look at moving closer to the job. Just my 2 cents

Jim

Modified by surfsd at 6:56 PM 3-14-2006

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Re: (big2mo)

Quote, originally posted by big2mo »
I avg 100 miles a day...the life of a salesman

I hear ya. 70 miles round trip to the office, and projects from East CT, East Hampton, South to Cape May, west of Philly, and North of Woodstock NY.
4K in 6 weeks.

Love to drive, and the R really makes it fun.

·
Registered
575 Posts

You have a GT, so traffic won't be so tiring. I have used my MT R in very frecuent long trips, usually about 200 miles, somedays even 400 miles and it's a great car, comfortable, reliable and fast; it's much better than the loaded BMW 328i I used to have.

Keep the R get a radar detector and work really hard if you want to get a better car because those cost a LOT more.

·
Registered
582 Posts

Now that I'm working from home the commute is pretty short.
But seriously - from Eatonville to Bellevue would cause me to lose my sanity. Commuting from Renton to Bellevue nearly did it to me.

Good luck making your decision. Like others have said, at least you're in the R, which is comfortable. I'm still hoping to see your car in person sometime soon.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Anybody have a long commute with their R? (kr900)

Quote, originally posted by kr900 »
Now that I'm working from home the commute is pretty short.
But seriously - from Eatonville to Bellevue would cause me to lose my sanity. Commuting from Renton to Bellevue nearly did it to me.

Good luck making your decision. Like others have said, at least you're in the R, which is comfortable. I'm still hoping to see your car in person sometime soon.

You should have seen it in the sun today. Passion Red can get really bright in direct sunlight!

Another reason this isn't an easy decision is because I live in a house that is completely paid for, on a 90 acre plot of land with a mountain view. What's rent like up there I wonder? I assume buying a house in the Bel-Red area costs something like $9237498327487329847328479283794.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Re: Anybody have a long commute with their R? (steamboatsig)

I commute 5 miles up hill to work, but then again I just drove to Palm Desert and back in about 5 hours for a meeting (that was 3.5 hours of driving for a 1.5 hour meeting). For a 5 mile commute, I will be hitting 30,000 miles soon.

I could probably coast home from work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts